Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Soo...whats the LEAST number of dipes you could get away with? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471444)

Holly dolly 12-10-2012 09:37 PM

Soo...whats the LEAST number of dipes you could get away with?

There are tons of threads about huge stashes (which are gorgeous btw) but I'm wondering if you've ever sat down to figure out the least amount you'd need...

I realize such a small stash is likely not "fun" but it's fun to think about. :)

juliasmom 12-10-2012 09:53 PM

I guess it depends on if you are willing and able to wash everyday. In that case, 18 for newborns, 12 for infants and 8 for toddlers I think. Sounds like no fun to me :giggle:

laineypaige 12-10-2012 09:59 PM

Re: Soo...whats the LEAST number of dipes you could get away with?

I could get by with 2 covers and a dozen flats if I had to. I'd have to wash every day, and possibly wash a cover by hand every once in awhile. But that would work for my almost 2 year old. It would give me enough flats for changes every 2 hours, plus doubling up at naptime, and tripling at night, plus 2 extras. It wouldn't be fun but think about how someone with no money could save so much on diapers. 2 covers and a dozen flats would cost what? less than $50 easily.

Sarah-B 12-10-2012 10:01 PM

If I washed everyday I could get away with 10-12 diapers for our 5 month old dd. she goes through 6-7 diapers per day. That is because we found our nighttime solution that holds dd for 12-14 hrs. So we are only changing every 2-4 hrs for 12 ish hours

mamarudy 12-10-2012 10:05 PM

13 pocket diapers
that was my stash initially. i started late in the game with CDing (DD was 16 months) and had to build up a stash with very little money.
i wash every two days, though sometimes i get very close to running out. i've only had a couple of times where i got behind and had to use sposies for the night

Alikhlas 12-10-2012 10:05 PM

I think I have a comfortable minimal stash so that I'm not wasting water, etc washing everyday. I have 12 imagine bamboo pf and a mix of 10 covers (don't always reuse covers), 8 Nanas bottoms aio for faster changes, and 1 wool capris for breath ability (with possibly one pc of wool being added). 20 changes gets me thru washing 3-4 days with a 19 mo old. I love the simplicity!

I admit I have many more diapers but they're all packed away for the next kid. This is what's in rotation after trying a ton.

RockinLou 12-10-2012 10:24 PM

for washing every 2 days...
newborn-4 months, 24
4 months to 15 months, 18
18 months + 12 (possibly 15 if those 12 daytime diapers don't work at night for a heavy wetter)

but I prefer to have 12 more than that minimum at any given stage, and I always have half a dozen flats, 6 prefolds and 2 one size covers too. I don't know why, I never use them

raymark 12-10-2012 10:32 PM

I suppose I could have gotten away with.......
12 nb covers
30 premie pfs
4 flips
20 receiving blankets for pad folding or 20 flip inserts
4 OS night fitteds
2 wool covers or interlock soakers for night

parterasd 12-10-2012 10:50 PM

Right now I think I could do 12 flats for the house and 12 fitteds for outings, and wash every other day. 24 flats would be nicer, because we ec and use between 4-20 diapers a day- it varies a ton from day to day! 6 of each if I washed daily.

One pul cover for emergencies, and wool- I use it as clothing but if I had to limit it I'd say two soakers and pair of longies.

parterasd 12-10-2012 10:51 PM

Right now I think I could do 12 flats for the house and 12 fitteds for outings, and wash every other day. 24 flats would be nicer, because we ec and use between 4-20 diapers a day- it varies a ton from day to day! 6 of each if I washed daily.

One pul cover for emergencies, and wool- I use it as clothing but if I had to limit it I'd say two soakers and pair of longies.