Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Regression...sort of? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471445)

dancingingrace 12-10-2012 09:37 PM

Regression...sort of?

My 2yo potty-trained in September, and she did such an awesome job...caught on right away and everything. She's 29 months now, and it seems like it has just become a game or something to her. She'll always poop in the potty, but her panties always get wet if she has to pee. Sometimes it is just enough to get them wet, then she'll go the rest on the potty, and sometimes she'll just totally pee her pants. The problem is, it isn't like she's just having accidents...she knows full well when she has to go. She'll come to us and say, "Mama, Dada, I pee!!". But when we tell her to go to the potty or if we try to take her over there, she starts laughing and running around, or she'll just say, "No", or act like she doesn't have to go, or jump on the couch and try to get away from us, or whatever. :banghead: We have both a seat that fits over the real toilet, and also a little frog potty for her to go on. We've tried rewards, we've tried not acknowledging it or not giving her attention when she goes in her pants, we've tried explaining why she needs to sit on the potty, but nothing seems to phase her. I wouldn't care if she was just having accidents because she is only 2, but it is the point that she's doing this intentionally. Also, this is a little unrelated, but we've had to switch back to sposies with packing tape wrapped around the waistband :blush: when she goes to bed for naps or the night because she'll just take cloth or an un-taped sposie off and then ends up peeing the bed in her sleep. I'm just getting frustrated because we have to get new panties and pants every time she pees, and I can't let her go naked because it is too cold. I don't want to go back to diapers b/c I feel like that would just make us go backwards even more. I don't want to do pull-ups b/c she just sees them as diapers, and doesn't even mention when when she has to go at all, she just goes in them. Is there anything else I can do?

Shimpie 12-11-2012 08:51 AM

Re: Regression...sort of?

My DD potty trained in September too and does this stall tactic ocassionaly. She's learning to push limits and her parent's buttons. She's asserting independence. I simply ignore it and if DD wets herself, I calmly get her a new pair of panties and pants. If you make it a big deal, DD will learn that wetting herself sets mommy off and she'll learn the dreaded power struggle. When she gets angry at you all she has to do is wet herself to make mommy mad.

Katie Mae 12-13-2012 03:49 PM

Hmmm, sounds like DD. I just bought a million (ok, not really) pairs of pants and undies. If she's wet, she changes herself (sometimes asks me to help) and moves on. But I timed and watched her after giving her drinks and she legitimately will need to pee within 5 minutes of having a drink. And then 5 min after that. And 5 min later. Sounds ridiculous but once I figured that out it's helped. I have to do the same thing sometimes, it drives DH crazy. :) My dad has always told me I have a pea sized bladder, I guess she just inherited it from me. I figure she will eventually figure out when she needs to start to the toilet herself in order to not get wet at all. We do go through periods where she does great and rarely is wet, back to wet almost every time. But we've been at this a long time and I'm fine with wet undies because we have no pooping issues. Maybe I should pressure her more, but it seems the more frustrated we get the more problems there are for us. Who knows.

dkottas 12-17-2012 02:05 PM

I am having the exact same problem right now with one of my 2.5 year old twins. She is definitely doing this on purpose and driving me bonkers! She had been completely potty trained for a few months and then started peeing in her pants when she was in a time out for something unrelated. I definitely blew it because I overreacted and now I think it's a game for her. Other than trying to remain calm, what I'm trying now is: bought her new, highly desirable underwear; offer her a special treat (a jelly bracelet) if she has no accidents the entire day, giving stickers again for each pee. This has worked for the past few days so I have my fingers crossed. I think the end of the day special treat seems to be the most effective.
Good luck and keep us posted what works for you! Definitely don't put her back in diapers.

rmahlberg 12-27-2012 08:46 PM

I am having the same problem too! And sometimes my DS thinks it is a game to go every 3 minutes. Kids are so funny, I know it will come in time!

Fryedaddy 12-28-2012 08:50 PM

I'm having the same issue with my son but he is only 19 months so I am trying to not take it too seriously. It's amazing how emotional potty training can be! Lol

hpfgirl 12-28-2012 11:05 PM

I don't know if this will work for you, but my son responds well when we recruit inanimate objects to help. You might have her help you clean up and get her own clean pants. Then talk about how her old pants are so sad to have to go to the cold garage. I think that would help her focus inward on the issue. Or maybe make it an argument between her and her pants instead of her and you.

dancingingrace 12-30-2012 10:25 AM

Good ideas! I have told DH that we can't get too excited when we respond, just casually change her pants so she doesn't get a rise out of us. I can relate to the pea-sized bladder that someone mentioned, I have this problem myself! I also really like the idea of making her "sad" panties part of it...with my DD, that will either really work, or really make her laugh, and want to send a million pairs to the garage, lol (probably the latter, but worth a shot). I know it is just a phase and a matter of time, it just gets old having my laundry basket fill up with every pair of pants she owns b/c I have an apartment sized washer and dryer for one thing, and she doesn't have a ton of clothes for another. Oh, well....just one of those things, huh?! :)