Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Refusing to eat on one side? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471454)

PurpleDaffodil 12-10-2012 11:16 PM

Refusing to eat on one side?

Like most mommas here, I produce a lot more milk on my left side. When I pump I can get aroun 3 oz on left and barely 1 oz on the right. I normally put DS on the right side first, so stimulate that side more and he has always been happy, but Lately DS will pull, tug, arch his back, pop off and on the right side. Should I simply stop feeding him from this side? He gets very frustrated and I can barely get him to last 5 minutes before he starts fussing!

Sarah-B 12-10-2012 11:47 PM

I wouldn't stop. It is important (even with bottle feeding) to switch sides. To activate different sides of their brain. Right now I am nursing dd on my left side rubbing the left side of her body. Next feeding we switch.
If i were you and were block feeding-
i would offer the right side 1st each time. And I would finish with the left and then pump the right side.
Once I noticed it starting to catch up in production I would only feed one side per feeding
Good luck!!
Hugs!

Shimpie 12-11-2012 10:45 AM

Re: Refusing to eat on one side?

Keep trying on the right side.

This was and is me. My right nipple is small and I produce much less on that side. I tried my hardest to stimulate and pump on the right. I had DD nurse that side first and I even tried extra pumping events just on the right side. It all lasted til about 5 or 6 months and then DD started refusing the right side. I kept pumping on that side for a while and then gave up. DD is 2 years old and has only nursed on my left side since 6 months. I produced plenty for her from one breast. At the time, I was pretty concerned so I searched old posts on this site and several mamas have had this problem. I'm a bit lopsided.:( Oh well. I wear a silicone chicken cutlet thingy in my right bra cup when I wear a tight t-shirt or something form fitting.

yogamama28 12-11-2012 10:00 PM

My dd HAS to nurse off my right breast first or she gets so upset. She's happy to nurse from the left side but just doesn't like to stimulate let down from that side. I just go with it. She just always gets the right side first, and then the left.

mommabritt 12-11-2012 10:47 PM

My dd prefers to start on the right at nap/bedtime because she must be on the left to fall asleep. Silly girl she is. :)

BeccaSueCongdon 12-11-2012 11:14 PM

You could maybe offer the lighter side at night when baby is (I assume) comfort nursing in their sleep. If you're cosleeping that is. Just a random suggestion.

abunchoflemons 12-11-2012 11:23 PM

Re: Refusing to eat on one side?

I would agree with offering first to keep up the supply in the less preferred breast. Try stimulation, heat for let down and maybe just electric pump it for a while before or after he eats on that side til supply increases there. I have heard as odd as it sounds that one side may not produce well in general and mainly nurse off the other side that does... It's ok.