Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   lots of questions in here - re: fitteds & starting back CD (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471561)

jfork 12-11-2012 01:15 PM

lots of questions in here - re: fitteds & starting back CD

Background: I like fitted diapers very much, but have none. I do, however, have 24 prefolds stuffed in a bag. I have a toddler who is getting ready to potty train & he is very motivated when he's in a cloth diaper (or grossed out, either way, it works for me). I am also expecting in late March. I have been looking around online at fitteds & at having my prefolds converted, but am just stumped as to what I should do. I can't decide if I should sell the prefolds I have & buy new, or have mine converted. Can prefolds be converted into one size fitteds? Does anyone know how converted prefolds fair during the night?

Also - help me, please, with my issues with cloth diapering. I stopped CDing because I got really bogged down with laundry, & personal issues (child was diagnosed with sensory seeking disorder, the other was considered to have asperger's, we moved, we homeschool, etc), so the cloth diapering had to give.

Here are some of my biggest issues with cloth diapering. I feel like I had to be doing something wrong, so please enlighten me.

1) My laundry room stank. I stored the diapers (no longer than 2 days) in the Bummis diaper tote, & man(!) it was rank after those 2 days. Do I need an actual diaper pail/bin-thing with liners & a carbon filter to store my diapers?

2) The diapers smelled gross. I never used any type of anti-bac/odor remover when I washed them, but I washed them according to directions. (I am mostly referring to my pockets with the lingering odor.) Do I need to have an additional step, or do you have an laundry detergent recommendations?

3) I am not very good with poop. I know I am getting knit-picky here, but I'm trying to be really honest because I need help... I bought the flushable liners (Imse Vimse) & used those pretty regularly, but the poop would not stay on the liners. I would end up just tossing the diaper into the wash & rinsing it a zillion times, then washing it, re-rinsing, etc. I was so gross. I do not own a diaper sprayer. Is this something I should invest in? Also, what about the Spray Pal to go with it? Is this necessary?

4) Diaper rash. What am I supposed to use when my little one gets a rash?

5) Regular, button pants don't fit. Do y'all size up in pants, only buy elastic waist, or am I missing something? It seems like baby clothing companies do not leave enough room in the butt area for cloth diapers (esp Gap & Ralph Lauren). Am I the only one who struggles/d with this?

6) Baby wipes - do you guys soak your wipes, or use a spray? I never really got a good rhythm with cloth wipes, but hated using disposables.

I know this is a really loaded thread. Thank you for any advice. I do want to get back into cloth, but desperately don't want to fail again. My husband is *not* on board the cloth diapering train, esp. since we've become so spoiled with disposables (& our laundry room smells so fresh,) but I hate the idea of chemicals touching my babies' genitals. Thanks again!

dncnshu00 12-11-2012 02:23 PM

Re: lots of questions in here - re: fitteds & starting back CD

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfork (Post 16030888)
Background: I like fitted diapers very much, but have none. I do, however, have 24 prefolds stuffed in a bag. I have a toddler who is getting ready to potty train & he is very motivated when he's in a cloth diaper (or grossed out, either way, it works for me). I am also expecting in late March. I have been looking around online at fitteds & at having my prefolds converted, but am just stumped as to what I should do. I can't decide if I should sell the prefolds I have & buy new, or have mine converted. Can prefolds be converted into one size fitteds? Does anyone know how converted prefolds fair during the night?

Also - help me, please, with my issues with cloth diapering. I stopped CDing because I got really bogged down with laundry, & personal issues (child was diagnosed with sensory seeking disorder, the other was considered to have asperger's, we moved, we homeschool, etc), so the cloth diapering had to give.

Here are some of my biggest issues with cloth diapering. I feel like I had to be doing something wrong, so please enlighten me.

1) My laundry room stank. I stored the diapers (no longer than 2 days) in the Bummis diaper tote, & man(!) it was rank after those 2 days. Do I need an actual diaper pail/bin-thing with liners & a carbon filter to store my diapers? I use a regular flip lid garbage can I bought at Wal-mart with a pail liner. The only time I can really smell the diapers in when I'm taking the whole bag out to throw them in the wash.
2) The diapers smelled gross. I never used any type of anti-bac/odor remover when I washed them, but I washed them according to directions. (I am mostly referring to my pockets with the lingering odor.) Do I need to have an additional step, or do you have an laundry detergent recommendations? Were you by any chance using microfiber inserts in your pockets? I'm asking because microfiber is known for having stink issuies. Some people will add 1/4 cup of bleach to their prerinse once or twice a month to help combat this issue.

3) I am not very good with poop. I know I am getting knit-picky here, but I'm trying to be really honest because I need help... I bought the flushable liners (Imse Vimse) & used those pretty regularly, but the poop would not stay on the liners. I would end up just tossing the diaper into the wash & rinsing it a zillion times, then washing it, re-rinsing, etc. I was so gross. I do not own a diaper sprayer. Is this something I should invest in? Also, what about the Spray Pal to go with it? Is this necessary?

4) Diaper rash. What am I supposed to use when my little one gets a rash? coconut oil

5) Regular, button pants don't fit. Do y'all size up in pants, only buy elastic waist, or am I missing something? It seems like baby clothing companies do not leave enough room in the butt area for cloth diapers (esp Gap & Ralph Lauren). Am I the only one who struggles/d with this? I find carter's and old navy to be good cd pants.

6) Baby wipes - do you guys soak your wipes, or use a spray? I never really got a good rhythm with cloth wipes, but hated using disposables. I have an old sposy wipes container full of my flannel wipes. I have a peri bottle full of wipes solution. I just dribble some of the wipes solution on the top wipe when I need it and let it soak into the next couple. I don't have any problems with musty smells this way because I'm using the wipes that get wet immediately.

I know this is a really loaded thread. Thank you for any advice. I do want to get back into cloth, but desperately don't want to fail again. My husband is *not* on board the cloth diapering train, esp. since we've become so spoiled with disposables (& our laundry room smells so fresh,) but I hate the idea of chemicals touching my babies' genitals. Thanks again!

I'm sorry I can't answer all of your questions because I don't have experience with all of it but I answered the ones I could.

littleleaf 12-11-2012 02:43 PM

RE: converted prefolds
- they will work fine at night, but you'll probably need more absorbency. Add a hemp doubler or two.

1) My laundry room stank.

2) The diapers smelled gross.

Your diapers aren't getting clean enough. I ignore washing instructions and do what I need to do to get them clean (which is washing in HOT water, with the full amount of detergent, plus baking soda. I also put vinegar in the prewash. And maybe once every couple of months, I bleach.) You would also be better off sticking with cotton diapers -- prefolds and flats wash out best.

3) I am not very good with poop.
Yup, I don't trust liners to catch stuff, and I just rinse out the diaper in a dedicated bucket, and pour it into the toilet. Or if you have solid poop, just flip it into the toilet. OR, if your LO is predictable, just use a disposable when you are expecting a poop :hide:

4) Diaper rash. What am I supposed to use when my little one gets a rash?
You can use cloth diaper-friendly rash balms (CJ's butter is a popular one, but I haven't tried it. I really liked the Northern Essence balm... worked way better than the commercial butt creams). Or, use whatever commercial stuff works for you and use a disposable liner.

5) Regular, button pants don't fit.
We generally liked looser pants anyway, but there are trim cloth diaper options that worked well with button jeans. A folded (snappied) prefold under a Dappi nylon cover always worked great under jeans for us.

6) Baby wipes - do you guys soak your wipes, or use a spray?
I kept a water bottle with my wipe solution (plain water + drop of baby oil + drop of baby soap) on the changing table, and a little bowl. I stored the wipes dry, then put one in the bowl, squeezed a bit of the wipe solution on it, then used it. I found that cloth wipes worked so much better than the disposables... in fact, we would sooner give up cloth diapers than cloth wipes if we were forced to do so...

amiecheatham 12-11-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfork (Post 16030888)

1) My laundry room stank. I stored the diapers (no longer than 2 days) in the Bummis diaper tote, & man(!) it was rank after those 2 days. Do I need an actual diaper pail/bin-thing with liners & a carbon filter to store my diapers? I use a zippered wetbag and the zipper keeps all the smells in. That said, it sounds like from the rest of your post you were putting poopy diapers in your pail and there is no type of storage system that will make poop not stink, ya know? it's poop.

2) The diapers smelled gross. I never used any type of anti-bac/odor remover when I washed them, but I washed them according to directions. (I am mostly referring to my pockets with the lingering odor.) Do I need to have an additional step, or do you have an laundry detergent recommendations? You didn't say what your routine was, but generally speaking I think most people follow a routine of Rinse, Wash, Rinse. That said, pockets/microfiber/synthetic diapers are known for lingering stink issues that you won't get with natural fibers, so I think if you go with fitteds like you're thinking, that would resolve it for you without any more troubleshooting.

3) I am not very good with poop. I know I am getting knit-picky here, but I'm trying to be really honest because I need help... I bought the flushable liners (Imse Vimse) & used those pretty regularly, but the poop would not stay on the liners. I would end up just tossing the diaper into the wash & rinsing it a zillion times, then washing it, re-rinsing, etc. I was so gross. I do not own a diaper sprayer. Is this something I should invest in? Also, what about the Spray Pal to go with it? Is this necessary? I've never used liners because honestly you'll end up handling the poop more with those than you would with another method! I think if you want to cloth diaper and your child is either eating some solids or on formula that a diaper sprayer is a necessity- epsecially since you have said you are particularly *not good* with poop. As far as the spray pal, I wouldn't say it is a NECESSITY, but I will say that I have one and that I would not cloth diaper without one because I am bad with the poop too! I big puffy heart LOVE my spray pal. Makes spraying out the nastiest of toddler poops easy.

4) Diaper rash. What am I supposed to use when my little one gets a rash? We use CJ's BUTTer when a rash crops up, but I wouldn't be surprised if any rashes you did have went away with switching to natural fibers. It is very common!

5) Regular, button pants don't fit. Do y'all size up in pants, only buy elastic waist, or am I missing something? It seems like baby clothing companies do not leave enough room in the butt area for cloth diapers (esp Gap & Ralph Lauren). Am I the only one who struggles/d with this? we size up and use elastic waistband pants

6) Baby wipes - do you guys soak your wipes, or use a spray? I never really got a good rhythm with cloth wipes, but hated using disposables. neither, really. I take a stack of folded wipes and run them under the faucet until they are totally soaked. I squeeze out all the extra water until they are just as moistened as I like them to be and then stick them in a wipes warmer.

HTH!

tentrevival 12-11-2012 05:24 PM

Whether or not you can get one size fitteds from your prefolds depends on what size they are to begin with. When I was looking into this I found that most mamas doing the converting wanted larger prefolds than I had. You can add a doubler to anything so nights shouldn't be a problem.

Karen at GreenMountainDiapers recommends an open dry pail to avoid the growth of bacteria, and it makes a huge difference for us. You would think the room would stink more with an open pail, but it is really much less. You can also get baking soda in a shaker which helps.

However, if you are having diaper stink problems in general that alone probably won't be enough. I am guessing that a lot of your problem was the polyester fleece/suedecloth in pockets. It is always harder to get polyester clean and free of stinkies. So switching to all natural fibers should help from the start, but like pp said don't be afraid with yor wash routine to do what it takes to get your diapers clean.

I would go with a sprayer. The only reason I don't have one is because my husband does most of the poopy ones, and he doesn't care. If it were on me we would have one. I think the investment is worth saving your sanity.

We've used CJ's Happy Baby Booty Balm, some homemade salve, and coconut oil, but my favorite by far is Honest Co. Healing Balm. I just bought like five because I use it for everything and keep one in every room and bag.

There are a few brands made especially for cloth diaper bottoms (project pomona and kumfy kozies are my favorite) but we mostly use carters and old navy. Old Navy have adjustable elastic waists, I guess we technically size up and then shrink the waist, but my kids are small so it's really the right size for their age kwim. The main thing is to look for pants with plenty of elastic in the waist. I have friends with kids in disposable diapers whose pants don't fit. The other day I went to Ross and there was a two foot long section of 2T jeans and not one had a bit of elastic, they all went straight up the sides. That wouldn't fit anyone, the manufacturers are just lazy.

I wet mine with plain water and keep them in an old disposable wipes box. we always go through them too fast for them to mildew (except once when they got lost under the couch and once when we changed diaper bags and I left them in the old one).

Never feel bad for asking a lot of questions. That's why we're here. And also never feel bad for doing what's best for your family, even if that means using disposables. There are a lot of good natural brands that are free of toxins (seventh generation and honest co. are by far the best in my opinion and they are no more expensive than pampers). We are all carrying big burdens and you can't feel guilty for doing your best. If something is technically best for baby, but it makes mom crazy it still isn't really the best.

Best Wishes!

lady longs 12-11-2012 05:34 PM

I really ditto everything said above.

Open pail with an easy lid that can breathe

Add bleach to microfiber that is in your pockets

Diaper sprayer is a MUST in my opinion.

I hated liners that were designed to catch the poop - I really thought these made it worse.

I had some prefolds converted to fitteds and really liked them. I really don't think you would get a one size option out of that. I think 2 sized option would be the best that you could do.

tomandkara 12-11-2012 10:06 PM

I put a quarter cup of baking soda in my wet bag and wash every other day. It also helps to rinse diapers by hand before putting them in the wet bag.

My son is working on potty training now and we don't have to deal with poop in diapers any more, but what I used to do is dump what I could into the toilet, rinse the rest in the laundry room sink, and then run the diaper through a rinse cycle in the machine and then throw it in the wet bag.

My regular wash routine is to do a quick cycle with a half cup of washing soda then a hot cycle with my detergent and water softener then another full cycle with nothing to rinse until the soap bubbles are gone.

We homeschool, too. It helps me to have the same routine during the day. Dopes go in the machine before lessons start, I change the load after my son finishes his violin, etc. It helps me to expect when it'll have to be done.

If you're using fitteds, you could do fleece or wool pants instead of "regular" pants.

Hope that helps!