Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What are your time limit rules for Tablets and gaming systems? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471654)

Michelle_M 12-11-2012 05:09 PM

What are your time limit rules for Tablets and gaming systems?

The two older boys are getting tablets for Christmas. 7rys old and 5 yrs old.

I know they are going to want to spend a lot of time on them.

I need help in figuring out a rule or system regarding the amount of play time the kids get...

Like can they use them with no time limits when reading? And only limit games?
Or would you limit total usage?

Do you have rules like, they get x amount of time daily, but can earn more by doing extra chores, or not arguing when you ask them to do something, etc?

Do they have to earn ALL their time with it?

DH and I were thinking about something like, the can have a base time of 1 hour per day. Punishments can result in taking away from that time, doing extra chores, getting good marks on my odlest's daily take home folder, good grades, etc... can ear extra time on it.

We're also thinking about saying they read as much as they want, but only limiting game time (my 5 yr old would play Angry Birds on it all day if we let him).

Also, DS1 is at a school all day, while DS2 is at home all day. Should DS2 be held to the same time limits as DS1, or should he be allowed to have extra time simply because he's home more, but make the stuff he's allowed to do during the day only educational and limit games?

So.. what are some of your rules about timing?

Thanks
God bless!

mama2cntrykids 12-11-2012 05:15 PM

Re: What are your time limit rules for Tablets and gaming systems?

We don't have tablets, BUT my dd6 has a leapster (original) and as long as the games she's playing are educational, and she has her school/chore work done, I don't really care how much time she spends on it.

That said, she's never spent more than an hour on it, so it hasn't been an issue for us.

We are getting a Kindle Fire HD after we get our tax refund. So the rules might be different, b/c we also have two older boys and a toddler that will want to mess on it, so we'll see.

abunchoflemons 12-11-2012 05:24 PM

I guess I would limit games. I like physical books but ok if reading & homework. We are trying to figure out computer time & limit ps3 & wii time. I think outside exercise is important.

my2sweets 12-11-2012 05:27 PM

My girls get 2hrs of screen time a day. Tv, ds, laptop, my phone, whatever-2hrs is the limit. The only exception is if I need them to do something for school on the laptop.

Leighleighbuggy 12-11-2012 05:55 PM

We have a wii, Ipad and the boys have nintendo dsi's. They are allowed to play in the car (well not the wii obviously) and on the weekends. I let them play in the car because we drive a lot. We live 30 minutes from most things, and it can be boring for them driving in the car so much. I allow them to play as much as they want friday night and saturday, but I put them away sunday for the week. I don't really limit tv, but they usually just ask to watch a show after dinnertime or have it playing while they play legos or playdoh.

tallanvor 12-11-2012 06:03 PM

We typically limit it to an hour after schoolwork and chores are finished.

tallanvor 12-11-2012 06:04 PM

Oh, and if they were reading, I would be willing to let them have it longer, but they rarely read ebooks. With 4 devices to read ebooks on, we still bring home 30+ books every couple of weeks from the library for fun reading.

raisingcropsandbabies 12-11-2012 07:38 PM

Someone just gave my boys (4 and 5) leapsters. We let them play 20 minutes a day.

SarasynFox 12-11-2012 07:48 PM

Maybe I'm just out there, but I wouldn't limit my kids at all. Sure, they'd play on it non-stop all the time for a while, but then they'd get bored of it. I've found limiting them only makes them play video games and things more often. After about a month of letting my daughter play PS3 whenever she wanted, she stopped playing all together. We did the same thing with movies and now all she wants to watch are things like MythBusters and documentaries. She'd rather learn than be vegging out. She'll go through phases with it, but it's not common anymore. My boys are kind of following suit.

Michelle_M 12-11-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarasynFox (Post 16032638)
Maybe I'm just out there, but I wouldn't limit my kids at all. Sure, they'd play on it non-stop all the time for a while, but then they'd get bored of it. I've found limiting them only makes them play video games and things more often. After about a month of letting my daughter play PS3 whenever she wanted, she stopped playing all together. We did the same thing with movies and now all she wants to watch are things like MythBusters and documentaries. She'd rather learn than be vegging out. She'll go through phases with it, but it's not common anymore. My boys are kind of following suit.

Thanks for the POV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 16032207)
Oh, and if they were reading, I would be willing to let them have it longer, but they rarely read ebooks. With 4 devices to read ebooks on, we still bring home 30+ books every couple of weeks from the library for fun reading.

I never get to the library. We have on vehicle and DH uses it for school and work, so we rarely get to go anywhere when DH isn't home with us. My kids LOVE to read and DS1 is getting bored with the books we have.

DS2 likes to look at books on the iPad also.. We don't have an iPad, but the speech therapist does and frequently uses it in therapy for interactive books and activities. Both kids love it.

God bless!