Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you prefer to give during holidays? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471753)

sweetDD 12-11-2012 10:23 PM

What do you prefer to give during holidays?

Toys?
Clothes?
Foods?
Money?
Others, pls specify

sweetDD 12-11-2012 10:25 PM

Re: What do you prefer to give during holidays?

I prefer to give
Toys (25%)
Clothes (40%)
Foods (5%)
Money(10%)
Others, household products (25%)

RainandRedemption 12-11-2012 10:40 PM

It really depends on who the gift is for. We're not buying for anyone other than the kids this year... but when I buy for ppl I try to get something I think they'd absolutely love. I usually spend a lot of time finding the right thing.

One thing I always give though are ornaments that either have a pic of the kids or one they've made. I adore baking too, and most years I make a good variety of treats and divide them into tins to give out.

HeatherlovesCDs 12-11-2012 10:44 PM

For my own kids, I prefer to give them something they need/want that isn't toys. Like for my DD, we are getting a new bedding set. My 2 year olds are getting back packs (and more). We usually get one smallish toy or sometimes a big toy depending on the situation. But, we leave most the toys for the grandparents. I don't prefer to get them clothes because I hated that as a kid, but I will get them an item of clothing that isn't an everyday thing or that I know they want.

For other's kids, I like to get toys, sometimes educational and sometimes not. :)

raymark 12-11-2012 11:13 PM

I just want to create a little (or a lot of ) magic for each giftee....it's all about them!

my2sweets 12-12-2012 07:56 AM

For the kids-toys They only get toys for christmas and their bdays. We also dont have relatives who buy them a million toys for either day or randomly through out the year-which is so nice.

irishdancemomma 12-12-2012 09:01 AM

I got my son some pjs, some books, and some toys with a few treats in his stocking. He is only one this year, but I think when he is older we may take a trip as a family for his big gift.

I have seven younger siblings, most are still kids. I like to give them experience gifts. Example: Tickets to a movie or play, trip to the ice cream shop or a restaurant, sleep over at my house. They think this is awesome and it doesn't clutter their already crowded house.

danielle 12-12-2012 09:19 AM

90% toys (art supplies in here)
10% food

I have 3 generations of in-laws giving my children clothing so they have that all sewn up.

tallanvor 12-12-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark (Post 16033332)
I just want to create a little (or a lot of ) magic for each giftee....it's all about them!

This. I don't have a preference on what I buy. I just want the receiver to feel loved and to really appreciate the gift.

dancermommy1 12-12-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetDD (Post 16033219)
Toys?
Clothes?
Foods?
Money?
Others, pls specify

For kids, toys (I remember the disappointment I always felt when I got clothes, hahaha)

For adults, it is so very person-specific. For teens I usually give money or gift cards because it's usually really what they want.

For adults I usually make at least one gift, and that varies (it's gotten a lot easier now that I'm a mom because the grandmothers get something with DS's little face on it :giggle:-- This year it's coasters made from recycled garden tiles and modpodge); last year everyone got crocheted scarves; the year before it was hand scrub. I also buy a gift, and it just depends on the person. My mom tends to like Bible study items like commentaries or Beth Moore books/guides and she also likes kitchen related items. My brothers are techies so I let my DH do the shopping for them. DH's sister is into dragoncon type stuff so this year I got her some vampire paper dolls (she's in her 40s but I think she'll get a kick out of them). For my sisters-in-law on my side of the family I usually get some stationary type items or some jewelry

ETA: personally I love to bake and would give food gifts, but people usually have SO MUCH food around the holidays, I'm afraid it would be wasted.