Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   RF or FF in this scenario... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471754)

BeccaSueCongdon 12-11-2012 10:42 PM

RF or FF in this scenario...

I've posted before about our Diono Radian RXTs in our Forrester. I've been having a problem with my DD's strap tightening. On this particular seat you have to pull the tightening piece down for it to tighten. If you pull it up, it releases the hold on the strap and doesn't tighten.

With the sea RF, there is no room for me to get my hand in at the right angle to tighten. I have to fidget with it to the point that Im getting cramps in my hands every time. And the straps seem to be sitting weird on her shoulders.

The part where the harness inserts over the shoulders has three settings that are angled (lower) and three that are higher up and horizontal. She seems to be too talk for the highest angled one, but too short for the shortest horizontal one. On the highest angled one the straps are below her shoulders, but bc of the angle and how much taller she is than the straps, they tend to ease off her shoulders unless I really tighten them down, but then they dig into her neck. :-(. The next height up would be over her shoulders rf, which is a no-no.

If she were FF both of these problems would be alleviated and it *seems* like she'd be safer that way. With the RF it seems like I'm not able to use the seat as instructed in the manual.

She is 20 months, and 27 lbs. Any thoughts mh appreciated. I want to keep her RF, but am concerned that the seat isn't able to be used properly in this set up.

jaelynsmommy61607 12-11-2012 10:48 PM

No way I'd turn a 20 month old. I have a radian and have had some on the same issues. The strap issue happened also with ny son. I went a head and moved the straps up to the straight slot. Or when in the last angle spot I took off the harness covers. As far as tightening the harness I've never adjusted every time I get my kids out. I keep them as is and lossen or tighten as needed. I still check for tightness every time. IMO its so much easier that way. If you decide that doesn't work for you I'd change the way you do it. So put the straps on child. Buckle the chest clip. Tighten the harness. Buckle the crotch strap. Adjust as needed. It's usually too tight IME. But its soooo much easier to adjust.

jaelynsmommy61607 12-11-2012 10:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures. Hope these help!

Attachment 127352

Attachment 127353

BeccaSueCongdon 12-11-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607
No way I'd turn a 20 month old. I have a radian and have had some on the same issues. The strap issue happened also with ny son. I went a head and moved the straps up to the straight slot. Or when in the last angle spot I took off the harness covers. As far as tightening the harness I've never adjusted every time I get my kids out. I keep them as is and lossen or tighten as needed. I still check for tightness every time. IMO its so much easier that way. If you decide that doesn't work for you I'd change the way you do it. So put the straps on child. Buckle the chest clip. Tighten the harness. Buckle the crotch strap. Adjust as needed. It's usually too tight IME. But its soooo much easier to adjust.

But I thought the straps have to be under their shoulders when rear facing. And above when ff.

Are there any carseat techs in here who know if its safer to do the straps wrong but keep them rf? Or turn it forward so the straps are used properly?

I don't use the harness covers.

jaelynsmommy61607 12-12-2012 01:40 AM

Yes you are correct that the straps shouod be at or below the shoulders when used rest facing. How ever when the slot below is causing the straps to fall off the shoulders its ok to bump them up to the ones slightly above. With the radian it has that funky gap between thag slanted and straight slots that kids get stuck between. I'm not a tech, However I am a very active member on car-seat.org. I would be one if I had the time and money to take the class. You can always call the tech advocate for Diono 855-463-4666 Allana, ext. 252

mrosehughes 12-12-2012 08:44 AM

I would do anything I could to keep a 20 month old RFing, including buying a new seat. FFing at that age would not be an option for me.

If the metal piece that locks the harness in a tight position is not flipiping back down on its own, you may want to call Diono. I had a radian that did that and they sent me a new one; it's supposed to flip down on its own.

I moved DS's straps up to the first non-slanted slot when the straps were very slightly above his shoulders. Probably about 1/4 of an inch higher than in the picture pp shared. If they are slightly above, and not near the top of the shell, I feel comfortable with that as a parental decision (I am a tech, but that's a parental decision, not something I'd advocate as a tech). I think the main risk with shoulders below straps RFing is ramping up the seat; someone else please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Is the problem with the harness adjuster that it's buried against the cat seat back? Are you using an angle adjuster? You might try installing the radian somewhat less upright (here I'm assuming if the harness adjust is buried that the seat is very upright) to get the pull strap at a better angle. If you change the angle of the seat, it will also change where your DS's shoulders fall, so it might even help with that issue. If you can post pics, you might get more suggestions.

BeccaSueCongdon 12-12-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrosehughes
I would do anything I could to keep a 20 month old RFing, including buying a new seat. FFing at that age would not be an option for me.

If the metal piece that locks the harness in a tight position is not flipiping back down on its own, you may want to call Diono. I had a radian that did that and they sent me a new one; it's supposed to flip down on its own.

I moved DS's straps up to the first non-slanted slot when the straps were very slightly above his shoulders. Probably about 1/4 of an inch higher than in the picture pp shared. If they are slightly above, and not near the top of the shell, I feel comfortable with that as a parental decision (I am a tech, but that's a parental decision, not something I'd advocate as a tech). I think the main risk with shoulders below straps RFing is ramping up the seat; someone else please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Is the problem with the harness adjuster that it's buried against the cat seat back? Are you using an angle adjuster? You might try installing the radian somewhat less upright (here I'm assuming if the harness adjust is buried that the seat is very upright) to get the pull strap at a better angle. If you change the angle of the seat, it will also change where your DS's shoulders fall, so it might even help with that issue. If you can post pics, you might get more suggestions.

I'll take some pictures.

It IS buried right against the seat. It's currently angled more upright, but it is impossible to recline it. It's already touching/pushing against the front seats to the point that we have them pushed as far forward as they will go. I literally have my knees touching the glove compartment when I ride in the passenger side, and my DH doesn't fit in there at all. I'm actually worried that I might be too close to the airbag. But that's it's own issue.

Buying another seat is absolutely out of the question. We just spent $300 on this one, and my DH got his hours cut back at work and we're already way under budget (like choosing between buying groceries and buying clothes the kids actually need - not just luxury items, I'm talking the boy needs underpants). Another seat would mean not paying a bill.

CrazyBoysMamma 12-12-2012 02:52 PM

Re: RF or FF in this scenario...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 (Post 16033456)
Yes you are correct that the straps shouod be at or below the shoulders when used rest facing. How ever when the slot below is causing the straps to fall off the shoulders its ok to bump them up to the ones slightly above. With the radian it has that funky gap between thag slanted and straight slots that kids get stuck between. I'm not a tech, However I am a very active member on car-seat.org. I would be one if I had the time and money to take the class. You can always call the tech advocate for Diono 855-463-4666 Allana, ext. 252

This. When my son was at the same point in his radian I went up to the bottom flat slot. Being slightly above the shoulders is not such a big deal if they have a lot of shell above their heads.

BeccaSueCongdon 12-13-2012 10:06 AM

Bumping for more feedback :-)

Ashlovespat 12-15-2012 10:36 AM

I'd call Diono and see what they say, but also would probably bump the straps up to the next set if just slightly above the shoulders. I have some issue pullin our strap tight at the upward angle, but my button doesn't stay up...I also do not adjust after each in and out, I just leave it. And every couple days I have to tighten or loosen, which isn't too bad. It's just a little bit. I would not even consider turning a 20mo old, my 4.5yo twins (as well as both of my 2 year olds) are still RF. it may be a pain, but it won't last forever, and its worth knowing your kid is safest! I'd call Diono about the strap release button.