Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Time out for a 19 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471778)

MamaLump 12-12-2012 07:05 AM

Time out for a 19 month old?

My DS has been hitting DH and myself lately when he is angry and not getting his way. If it is getting dressed or diaper changes and he is on his back, he kicks too. We've just checked out some parenting books from the library, but we don't really know what to do. Is it too early for "time out"? And if not, how do you get them to understand they have to stay somewhere? Sleep is already a battle, so I really don't want to use the crib or pack n' play for time out as I don't want MORE negative associations with them. Maybe a small bean bag chair and it could be a "cool down" time? I'm 14 weeks pregnant, so especially the kicking HAS to stop soon. (Not that it would be ok otherwise, but this makes it slightly more urgent.)

abunchoflemons 12-12-2012 07:17 AM

Re: Time out for a 19 month old?

A friend does time out by sitting with as he is 13 month. I guess I would stick. Somewhere if firm no & u stopping him doesn't work. Mine we play & its not hard. Yea she does the hit most of the time I get poop sign language sign....

raymark 12-12-2012 07:30 AM

I definately think hes too young for time out. Developmentally, i dont believe that should start until after age 2.

I_run_with_scissors 12-12-2012 08:03 AM

IMO he is too young for time out, he just cant grasp the concept at 19 months old. I would stick with a firm "NO" and removing him from the situation.

MamaLump 12-12-2012 08:13 AM

This is kinda what I thought, but I really don't know what else to do. Quite frequently, removing him from the situation is EXACTLY what he wants! He most frequently hits during diaper changes, getting his pjs on, and getting put into the car seat. So, what do I do?

raymark 12-12-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaLump (Post 16033999)
This is kinda what I thought, but I really don't know what else to do. Quite frequently, removing him from the situation is EXACTLY what he wants! He most frequently hits during diaper changes, getting his pjs on, and getting put into the car seat. So, what do I do?

Do what you need to do while ignoring the hitting. He can't possibly hurt you & has very few other ways to communicate at this age. For his well being & as a way to acknowledge that all he is doing by hitting is communicating you can say "honey, I know you don't like this, but I do love you" - or something similar.

MamaLump 12-12-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark

Do what you need to do while ignoring the hitting. He can't possibly hurt you & has very few other ways to communicate at this age. For his well being & as a way to acknowledge that all he is doing by hitting is communicating you can say "honey, I know you don't like this, but I do love you" - or something similar.

I don't know about this. I mean, especially with the kicking during pj time, I concerned he will kick the new babe. He does have lots of words, he's in the explosion phase so easily over 100, but not words for emotions. I can try and start naming emotions for him.

dancermommy1 12-12-2012 10:20 AM

We did time out starting at a year old, and it worked for us. Any attempt at hitting was (and still is) an IMMEDIATE time out.

Otherwise, we do 1-2-3 magic. But there is NO counting where hitting is involved.

ETA.... DS used to kick during diaper changes and it drove me INSANE. I don't remember what I did to handle it, honestly, because it ended almost as quickly as it started and now it's just a vague memory :) I think I just grabbed both feet in one hand and held them very firmly still while totally ignoring his attempts to kick me. And I changed diapers very fast...

nonipie 12-12-2012 11:57 AM

We have started time out with our older two when they were 12 and 13 months. It was used only for hitting/kicking, dangerous behaviour etc. Stuff that was not negotiable and that redirection did not help. I know that they understood. My oldest started doing what you are describing around a year and we were able to eradicate the behavior within weeks by just consistently putting him in time out and repeating ,"no hit, nice touches only". IMO if they are able to sit there without getting up and modify their behavior even a little bit that shows me that they know they know clearly what we expect.

mrspopo 12-12-2012 12:06 PM