Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Does anyone self-check? *Possible tmi* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471812)

Momma2theJs 12-12-2012 09:11 AM

Does anyone self-check? *Possible tmi*

I'm very interested in self-checking, because I don't want to go to the hospital and be sent home, but I also don't want to progress quickly and have a baby in the car.

I'm having some trouble discerning what I'm feeling. There is no donut, lips, nose, cheerio, or any of the rest of the food analogies they use to help empower women to become aware of their pregnant, effacing, and dilating cervices. There's mush, and that's about it. I can feel what I thiiiink might be my cervix, and I can fit a finger in easily, but only to a certain point. Doc says I am not dilated, so what's the opening I'm feeling? I'm still posterior, so I have to work at it a bit, but I can feel around the cervix also (if that's actually what it is) and I'm still relatively long, but everything is just...mush? Anyone else?

*Katherine* 12-12-2012 09:16 AM

Re: Does anyone self-check? *Possible tmi*

If you have had children before, then you will always be slightly dilated. I checked myself with my last baby and only found my cervix once. I knew better, as I am one of those people who don't do anything until I go into labor, lol!

mommy24babes 12-12-2012 09:26 AM

I have checked in all of my pregnancies as well as using nfp

When checking your cervix there is an internal OS and an external OS.

When you say you can only go to a point it's because the internal OS is still closed.

The external OS is the " mush" you are feeling.

That said I have walked around for weeks at 3 + cm dialated with no labor. I have very fast labors ( less than an hour) I safely count myself in labor when it is impossible for me to continue to function during a contraction.

My first was a hosp birth and I made the mistake of going to early. I wish I had stayed home longer. It felt like it took forever. Like a watched pot never boils.

The other 3 were homebirths
Is this your first?

Momma2theJs 12-12-2012 09:27 AM

I have two other kiddos, both born vaginally. I have a tendency to go rather quickly, and I'm not down for an unplanned homebirth. lol

Momma2theJs 12-12-2012 09:29 AM

So what will I feel when I actually begin dilating?

mommy24babes 12-12-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momma2theJs
So what will I feel when I actually begin dilating?

For me it was a bigger version of what you have been feeling. Except what stops your fingers will be baby's head lol it unmistakable because it is hard.

Picture opening your mouth in a small circle.
When it's small the lips are thick and firm.
As your mouth opens the lips thin out. Same as the cervix.

I hope that makes sense.

Momma2theJs 12-12-2012 10:14 AM

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

songbird516 12-12-2012 02:54 PM

I tried to check myself with my last pregnancy but I wasn't good at it at all, despite using FAM. I thought I was more dilated than I was at 40.5 weeks. Turns out I was only 3cm and posterior (really wrong about that) and that didn't change until labor started, then he was born in 2.5 hours. I don't think I could trust myself unless I had more practice on other people, lol.

Momma2theJs 12-12-2012 07:32 PM

I started early so I can note changes in position as well, but it's so much easier said than done!

AniMommy 12-12-2012 09:33 PM

There was a thread here on checking a few weeks back. There is a midwife site that talks about self checking. prepforlabor.tripod.com

Before I got pregnant checking cervix was fairly easy. Eventually, you can find it bc it feels somewhat hard (like the tip of your nose) compared to the rest which feels kind of squishy. It's usually pretty far back. During your cycle, the cervix will change shape, height, softness, and position (which way it points). It's pretty cool to check yourself on a regular basis and observe the changes. It's part of a lot of nat family planning/charting for pregnancy methods.

Now forward to pregnancy. During my first, I checked a bunch and noticed the "landscape" of my insides changed a lot. I mentioned this to my mw and she agreed that pregnancy changes a lot.

I think the big problem with checking yourself when really pregnant is that the full uterus is pressing down and the cervix is on the backside of the dip. Often times, prior to things getting going, it's pointing in a direction that makes it even harder to find.

I got checked at 35 w bc of lots of BH contractions. The nurse had a hard time reaching the cervix because it was so tucked back so far.

So that might be the reason your having trouble figuring out what's what.