Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Chocolate CHip cookies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472123)

jesajane 12-13-2012 11:35 AM

Chocolate CHip cookies

Anybody have any suggestions for improving my chocolate chip cookies. I'd like them to be fluffier/thicker. After they puff in the oven, thay always fall flat again. They taste good but I'd like them thicker.

I usually make them with all butter. Today I used half butter, half crisco. It helped a little, I guess.

Any thoughts?

troyslady 12-13-2012 11:38 AM

Re: Chocolate CHip cookies

add a tsp of corn starch, itll fluff them up and you can add more next time if you want them even fluffier. : )

NeilsRene 12-13-2012 11:39 AM

Brown the butter. It's heavenly b

jbug_4 12-13-2012 12:03 PM

To make them fluffier- do you mean more cake like? Use applesauce in place of some of the butter.

graceworks 12-13-2012 02:04 PM

if you mean so they don't spread as much...chill the dough first

jesajane 12-13-2012 03:38 PM

They do spread ok. I guess ultimately I want there to be more to the cookie. They fall flat after they cool, so that they are thin with big lumps of chips.
I think i will try the corn starch and/or applesauce. Browning the butter sounds good. Does it help with the final product's consistancy?
Thanks for the suggestions!

jesajane 12-13-2012 03:39 PM

Oh, I read that spreading thing wrong. I would be game to try that too.

MDever 12-13-2012 03:49 PM

Butter has a lower melting point than shortening which is what the pp is referencing with "spreading". The butter ments causing more spreading thereby a flatter cookie. You can use butter flavored Crisco to get the taste and puffiness you are looking for. Alton Brown has a recipe for a "puffy" cookie that is readily available online.

edit: This will help you understand how to adjust a recipe to get different texture.

http://www.arctos.com/cookies/index.html

mel j 12-13-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesajane (Post 16038680)
Anybody have any suggestions for improving my chocolate chip cookies. I'd like them to be fluffier/thicker. After they puff in the oven, thay always fall flat again. They taste good but I'd like them thicker.

I usually make them with all butter. Today I used half butter, half crisco. It helped a little, I guess.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem for a couple of months. My cookies always came out good then all of a sudden this past summer they were always coming out flat and I wasn't sure what happened. But I finally figured it out how to get mine to come out good again. I added a bit more flour, and I rolled the cookies in balls instead of flattening them. Those were the main things. I'm not sure if the temperature/elevation/type of oven had something to do with it, but I use the Betty Crocker recipe (I think) with slightly more flour now, and I make them in a slightly different order. I usually mix the egg first, then add the butter (which must be either room temperature or softened - not hard, or all liquid) & sugar and mix, then add flour & baking powder, then add chocolate chips. Roll in balls. I can usually tell now by the consistency of the dough whether or not they are going to turn out - the dough shouldn't stick to my hands or be a challenge to roll into balls.

I use:

1 egg
1 stick of butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C white sugar
1 & 1/3 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 C chocolate chips
(can add vanilla too, I don't bother adding b/c it's expensive so we don't always have it on hand)

Done at 3 12-13-2012 06:20 PM

Refrigerating the dough overnight helps keep them from flattening out so much.