Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Extra Fluffy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Easiest way to wash wool longies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472273)

Belbaby3728 12-13-2012 06:10 PM

Easiest way to wash wool longies?

For a new to wool mama? I don't use these over fitteds, so don't need lanolizing. However a pair I just got have that "been in storage for some time" smell. What's the easiest way to wash them? Can I use blue dawn? How much do I need? Thanks

Junipervt 12-13-2012 06:59 PM

Re: Easiest way to wash wool longies?

what kind of wool? interlock? hand knit? machine knit?

ddcmommy 12-13-2012 08:34 PM

I hear some use baby shampoo.

qsefthuko 12-13-2012 08:48 PM

A bit of dawn or even just baby wash and some white vinegar to neutralize odors should do the trick. I tried my top loader washing machine today. Anther poster suggested this and you do need to be careful not to over agitate.

I did cool or cold water, small load, a bit of detergent or whatever soap you prefer with 1/4 cup vinegar. Let agitate 1 -2 minutes on gentle. Stop the washer and let soak for about 30 minutes give or take a few. Let agitate again for a couple of minutes more and then move the dial to spin and let spin out. For the spin I prefer to let most of the water drain and then refill with rinse water repeat the above but let agitate only once. When spinning out the water remove the longies when most of the water is gone. Then fold lengthwise in a towel. Return them to the washer to finnish spinning out. To me this is gentler on the longies. Not folding in a towel has resulted in a few small holes in my upcycled wool. My theory is also that it gets more moisture out of them speeding dry time.

Rdesonia 12-13-2012 09:04 PM

I have a lot of vintage fabrics. Vinegar is my favorite to get out smells!

Vinegar is safe for wool. You can soak them if needed. The key to washing wool is not agitate (move it around ) in hot water. Wash with luke warm or room temp water by hand. Use a wool wash, dishsoap (no Bleach!), or baby shampoo. Never use bleach on wool. Lay flat to dry.

Belbaby3728 12-14-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junipervt (Post 16040719)
what kind of wool? interlock? hand knit? machine knit?

All hand knit

Belbaby3728 12-14-2012 03:58 AM

Thanks. I have read the washer thread, just not sure if I trust myself to try it :)

They are for her Christmas outfit so if I do them this weekend gives plenty time to dry fully.

mamarudy 12-14-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddcmommy (Post 16041092)
I hear some use baby shampoo.

i do, works great and smells lovely :)

spcops05 12-14-2012 12:57 PM

Little baby wash and a little lanolin.. I'm going to try my non knit wool in my top loader later today.. Knit wool I will hand wash.