Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Anyone get a second degree or change careers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472338)

BeccaSueCongdon 12-13-2012 11:11 PM

Anyone get a second degree or change careers?

I have a BS in psychology and bible/theology, and am interested in pursuing a nursing career. WAY different line of work than what I went to school for. I'm wondering if any of you WOHMs have changed careers that required a new degree, and how you paid for it. My understanding is that financial aid is limited if you already have a bs and are pursuing a new career.

ZooMamaTo3 12-13-2012 11:30 PM

I'll be watching this. I'm right there with you, got my BS in Bio, but DD1 was born shortly before graduation and I never went to work. 7 years later and I'm getting ready to start an accelerated MSN program for those with a degree outside of nursing. It's intense and I'm so nervous!

BeccaSueCongdon 12-13-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZooMamaTo3
I'll be watching this. I'm right there with you, got my BS in Bio, but DD1 was born shortly before graduation and I never went to work. 7 years later and I'm getting ready to start an accelerated MSN program for those with a degree outside of nursing. It's intense and I'm so nervous!

Ooh! That's what I want to do! Did you have all your pre-requisites done in your bio bs? I have to do all the basics before I can apply to nursing school. a&p, chem, etc.

ZooMamaTo3 12-13-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

Ooh! That's what I want to do! Did you have all your pre-requisites done in your bio bs? I have to do all the basics before I can apply to nursing school. a&p, chem, etc.

I have some of the pre-reqs done, but not all. Funny enough, A&P was not part of my bio degree so that is where I'm starting. I am also taking the GRE in March as it is required to apply to the nursing program. They program I am starting allows you to be admitted before your pre-reqs are done, you just need them to move on to the next Phase of the program. When you are admitted, you get your BSN, full time in 2 years, then you are eligible to become an RN, then you are already admitted to start an MSN concentration. Altogether it is looking like it will take me 5 school years, but I will work a year or two for some experience before I start the MSN Phase. Aaaagggghhhh! That sounds scary when I type it out!

BeccaSueCongdon 12-13-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZooMamaTo3

I have some of the pre-reqs done, but not all. Funny enough, A&P was not part of my bio degree so that is where I'm starting. I am also taking the GRE in March as it is required to apply to the nursing program. They program I am starting allows you to be admitted before your pre-reqs are done, you just need them to move on to the next Phase of the program. When you are admitted, you get your BSN, full time in 2 years, then you are eligible to become an RN, then you are already admitted to start an MSN concentration. Altogether it is looking like it will take me 5 school years, but I will work a year or two for some experience before I start the MSN Phase. Aaaagggghhhh! That sounds scary when I type it out!

Sounds like an adventure for sure. :-)

mom22sofar 12-14-2012 07:37 PM

Re: Anyone get a second degree or change careers?

I have a MN (same as a MSN I believe) and am hoping to finish off my PhD in the next month or so. Once I completed by BScN I didn't pay for schooling anymore-well not directly, I was able to support my tuition and such through scholarships and fellowships. A really good advisor can help you with that. Best of luck!

TangerineTea 12-19-2012 10:25 PM

You can still get scholarships and unsubsidized student loans. Start by filling out the FAFSA and visiting the financial aid center at the school(s) you are interested in. They will be the experts especially when it comes to specialized/local scholarships and related programs. You may be able to get a teaching assistant position, fellowship or the like. There are lots of ways to apply your psych background to nursing and the medical field in general so you should be even more marketable at the end and I think you will find any investment will pay off. I can see the theology even working it's way in there as a transferable skill depending on the population or center you work for. How exciting for you! Depending on where you are located there may be unique educational programs, or employment ops at specialty clinics, private hospitals, medical centers, etc. Best of luck to you!

LRL 12-30-2012 10:08 PM

I think you can apply your psych degree in any field... boy are there wackos working in every field. LOL. Sorry, just has to say that! ;-)

ctierney 01-04-2013 05:47 PM

I am a RN with a BSN going back to school for my MSN currently. I am funding it by borrowing from my 401k and IRA. If someone knows how to get it paid for let me know!

valkynlu 02-02-2013 12:44 AM

I plan on going back to school this fall for a career change. Exciting and nerve racking! I'll eventually be leaving the well paying legal field for something in mortuary science. :)