Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Throwing tantrums to get food (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472499)

kimmyj 12-14-2012 02:45 PM

Throwing tantrums to get food

My boy is 8 months old. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

We are practicing BLW and he's been on solids for about 2 months now and does surprisingly well. There aren't many foods that are off-limits to him and when we eat, he eats too, as long as he's in his high chair.

Lately we've been running into a few problems. He thinks that because I'm drinking a soda, he should be allowed to drink soda too (soda is an "off-limit food"). He gets very very angry and reaches and cries when he doesn't get what he wants.

This is my first baby. He's still so little and I don't know how to discipline a child that can not talk. I don't know what he understands and whether or not I should let him be angry or share with him. He's started doing this at daycare as well. One of the bigger kids had a piece of toast today and he threw a little fit because he didn't have a piece of toast.

slimy72 12-15-2012 07:18 AM

Re: Throwing tantrums to get food

My son is older now, but he did this too. Someone suggested we do baby sign with him and it really worked. If I had something like a soda, I'd just say no you can't have mine, are you thirsty (and sign thirsty) and then offer an appropriate drink. We taught him please and thank you, and he eventually got very good at signing please when he wanted something and then we could offer choices and see what he wanted. Communication really was key to getting the little fits at that age to stop. It may not work for every baby but it worked for mine. He was a happy little camper once he could tell us what he wanted.

itiswhatitis1984 12-15-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimy72
My son is older now, but he did this too. Someone suggested we do baby sign with him and it really worked. If I had something like a soda, I'd just say no you can't have mine, are you thirsty (and sign thirsty) and then offer an appropriate drink. We taught him please and thank you, and he eventually got very good at signing please when he wanted something and then we could offer choices and see what he wanted. Communication really was key to getting the little fits at that age to stop. It may not work for every baby but it worked for mine. He was a happy little camper once he could tell us what he wanted.

I agree with signing!! When I nannied the youngest wouldn't talk and we had fits all the time. Once I started signing with him it made a huge difference! It's surprising how fast they pick it up!! Some people fear it will keep them from talking but you are talking when you sign so they will when they are good and ready. The child that wouldn't talk for the longest time never stopped once he started. Lol

slimy72 12-15-2012 07:49 AM

I forgot to add, I loved the baby signing time videos and flash cards, they helped me more than him. And as previous poster mentioned it delaying talking, for my son it didn't. But we also talked along with the signs and he started to talk along with them soon as well. He was actually a very early talker and I truly believe it was because of the sign. However, I have known a family that just signed all the time and sometimes didn't talk tons along with it and their kids were late talkers. I think it may just depend on the kid and who knows mine may have been early and their late regardless of signing.

SarasynFox 12-15-2012 04:28 PM

Hmm...just a thought, my kids still have challenges with this. The way they see it, why should mama get to have it and they can't? They can have everything else that I have. I've even let them have a sip of wine or beer if they want. That being said, only my oldest has been brave enough to taste any of it and she didn't like it. It's gotten me thinking a lot about what I'm eating.

I'm not trying to criticize what you do or anything, but for me these kinds of tantrums were a wake up call. My middle son wasn't satisfied with being given something alternative. He wanted what I had, poured from my cup if necessary. It got me thinking about what I drink. We fought it out for a while, but I finally just decided to give up soda. How can I be a good example to my kids if I don't set a good example. I even (though it pained me!) had tea the last time we were at a restaurant. It might be an option for you if you'd rather your little one not become curious about soda.

kimmyj 12-17-2012 08:45 AM

Thank you for these wonderful suggestions! I think we will try signing. I know he watches baby signing time at daycare, but I haven't taken the time to learn the signs yet. Definitely something to try out!

cdeweese 12-17-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarasynFox (Post 16047899)
Hmm...just a thought, my kids still have challenges with this. The way they see it, why should mama get to have it and they can't? They can have everything else that I have. I've even let them have a sip of wine or beer if they want. That being said, only my oldest has been brave enough to taste any of it and she didn't like it. It's gotten me thinking a lot about what I'm eating.

I'm not trying to criticize what you do or anything, but for me these kinds of tantrums were a wake up call. My middle son wasn't satisfied with being given something alternative. He wanted what I had, poured from my cup if necessary. It got me thinking about what I drink. We fought it out for a while, but I finally just decided to give up soda. How can I be a good example to my kids if I don't set a good example. I even (though it pained me!) had tea the last time we were at a restaurant. It might be an option for you if you'd rather your little one not become curious about soda.

I see what you are saying, but this is really about setting limits early with your children. I grew up in a no soda household, but that never stopped us from wanting it (it made us want it more).

lovebear 12-21-2012 01:34 PM

My daughter used to make tantrums as a sign of blackmailing me to give her what she wants, for instance, the coffee I was drinking. She wanted to have a sip of it too but I emptied my mug (even if the coffee was hot, funny!) before she can have it in her hands.

nicolewayne 01-06-2013 09:10 PM

Our 18 month old thinks she needs everything we eat and more. If she so much as looks at the kitchen she wants food! I'm really interested in seeing some idea to help it because I have tried everything I know of to keep her content and not eating food every minute she's awake during the day llol