Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   What companies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472594)

EveryDayIsANewDay 12-14-2012 11:01 PM

What companies

are likely to promote within (management) and quickly, rather than years and years later, and give more than 25 cent/3% of current pay raises once a year? I work at a pharmacy/retail place. I have been a supervisor 8 months. Found out today raises are only once a year and 3% is the max. I cannot continue to make this little working as hard as I do in a retail store.

Any advice? I have a long thread in O/T in hopes more will see, but maybe some of you will have some input.

TIA.

L J 12-14-2012 11:35 PM

The one and only industry I am familiar with is the restaurant industry. They promote from within, hourly to salary, very quickly. I was serving part time at Olive Garden this summer and was offered management training before I had been there two months.

They only give evaluations and raises once per year, and the standard is 3%. My husband is a general manager for Logan's, he just signed on with them. He was not a promote from within, he has been in management for a long time, but his starting salary was in the ballpark of just over 60 with a 14k bonus potential each year. Bonus potential is a big part of restaurant salary, I'm not sure if that is the case for retail.

EveryDayIsANewDay 12-15-2012 12:32 AM

I would love to work in either retail or the restaurant industry. The only issue with starting as a server is working very late hours. My mom had a hard time just watching the littles 1-2x a week at my house when I work til ten. Maybe one day I can move into that industry if I have an SO that lives with me, but that's not allowed/possible right now. I really enjoy fast paced work. Maybe I can find a place that isn't a franchise that doesn't stay open as late. I do know the pharmacy I work at does bonuses for store managers but only if the yearly inventory goes well.

MrsCrafty 01-09-2013 09:49 AM

Re: What companies

I worked at Walgreens and all our managers were promoted from within, one of my best friends started as a cashier and is now an assistant manager there with no college. :goodvibes: I also got good raises there, I only worked there a year but got $1 raise over that year. I got a raise when I trained to work photo's, and a raise when I trained to work cosmetics. A lot of employees trained for pharmacy too and I heard that was a big raise.

joyous 01-14-2013 11:27 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but are you anywhere near a Nordstrom? They are a great company to work for, and if you do well, you can get promoted quickly. They definitely value results and hard work, and the money can be very good, depending. Just a thought, but I know they aren't everywhere.

mabelinoad 01-15-2013 12:32 AM

Re: What companies

My husband works for Sams Club and 7(or 8?) years ago he was hired as a seasonal and now is in management, and is on track to be a club manager in < 3 years(six figure potential plus five figure bonus potential). They offer decent raises yearly. They often promote within and take very good care of their management. Keep in mind, Walmart is NOT the same, they run their management very different and often do not hire from within(says many people who came from Walmart, to Sams...or our friends who used to be Walmart management) Also, this is without a college degree.

--please don't highlight, i'll likely delete soon for privacy...just offering insight!--