Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   If you had to choose... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472598)

UnderTheStars 12-15-2012 12:22 AM

If you had to choose...

I have two potential work schedules I have to choose between and I'm really having a hard time emotionally working it out in my head...I've been under a lot of stress and I feel like I'm having a hard time looking at it from a logical view point and thought maybe other opinions might help.

First Schedule (this was my original schedule): Mon 9am-8pm, Tues 9am-6pm, off Wed, off Thurs, Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 12pm-6pm

Pros: I'm home most nights for family dinner and bedtime. I get to see my husband (he works 6am-2pm most days). I have free childcare arranged for Sat and Sun via my inlaws. It's consistent - I know exactly when I go in and when I leave. I'm available to manage problems at work with employees should one arise.

Cons: I would have to pay for childcare for three days of the week (which is very hard to do right now financially...we would really struggle to make it work). I would have to find a childcare provider who is very flexible, can take my DD to school, and can manage my special needs son. I miss out on a good majority of my kids' day and only see them for a few hours at night. It's a somewhat difficult schedule based on the work we do for me to keep up with demand.

Second Schedule (which I just currently switched to): Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sun 4:00pm - until I get the work done.

Pros: Much more efficient based on our workflow. Some days I could leave as early as 8pm if it's a slow day. I get to spend a good majority of the day with my kids. I don't have to find nor pay for a childcare provider. I would have Saturdays off (which I've NEVER had before in all of my working life) so I could actually participate in birthday parties and weekend activities. I don't have to deal with my MIL and her constantly feeding my kids junk food on the weekends. :/ I would be available whenever for any doctors appointments or possible (:crossfingers: ) therapy appointments for DS during the week.

Cons: Just this week, I have worked until midnight two of the nights and until 1am another (we've been very busy lately). I never see my husband except on his two days off because he gets home at 2:30pm each day and I leave around 3:30 for work and he's in bed before I get home. I am tired from working until 12-1am and then getting up with the kids early the next morning. Its a 6-day work week. I miss tucking my kids into bed at night and I miss the "me" time I used to have after they were in bed to get things done (and to putz around on DS :blush:)

I'm paid on salary, so it will be the same pay no matter what. What would YOU do? Any other observations I may not have thought of that may help me decide what's better?

Hungry Caterpillar 12-15-2012 11:12 PM

Is it extra busy bc of holidays and will it calm down in January? If so definitely the second. More kid time and the potential for more husband and you time after it calms down.

But I retired last year so take that with a grain or two of salt. :)

Van1300 12-17-2012 08:38 AM

Re: If you had to choose...

I like #2 as well. You have a set schedule of when to leave the house, helps the kids know your routine. You'll be available during the day for doctors appointments, running errands, and play dates (and fun!). You can be more efficient at work at night because you know you can go home when the work is done.

AHASRADA 12-17-2012 10:27 AM

Can you switch back if necessary? If so, I would stick with #2 for 4-6 months, so you can compare the schedules more accurately. If all the other perks outweigh seeing dh less, it sounds good. A lot of dh's work so late they rarely see their families on weeknights anyway. At least you have that hour in the PM. and if you do get off work early, you'll see him at night as well. You being tired in the AM sounds like the biggest obstacle.

Nerissa 12-18-2012 12:50 PM

I would take #2 also.

DH and I have been married 8 years. He works Tues-Sat 9am (or as late as 2pm) till 9:30 or 10. During busy times add sunday in there too. I work 6:30am - 2:30pm Mon-Friday.

We only see each other on Monday evenings, for a little bit before I go to bed during the week and on his other day off. We have made it work. It would take a lot for me to switch to different hours. I like being able to pick my younger kids up form daycare at 3pm and home by 3:30 to meet DS1's bus.

adjroberts 12-18-2012 04:46 PM

LRL 12-19-2012 05:54 PM

I would LOVE #2! Since you are exempt, the times you work overtime will be offset by those days you can leave early. Saturdays off and no daycare for the kids? Sign me up! ;-)

luvsviola 12-19-2012 07:37 PM

I'd pick your new schedule so I was home with kiddos during the day, and would need minimal child care.

UnderTheStars 12-21-2012 01:40 PM

I decided to keep schedule #2. It really is nice being able to be home during the day with the kids, and I'm hoping after the holidays die down I won't have to work quite so many late late nights! Thanks for your input everyone. :)

Roxxxi 01-17-2013 01:34 PM

I like #2, but maybe it would help you to think about what your priorities are. Is it more important to tuck the kids in at night, or no day care? To see your husband more, or have all day Saturday for the family? Etc.