Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Should I just give up? :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472641)

Almacham 12-15-2012 08:47 AM

Should I just give up? :(

Because I feel like giving up!! :cry:

First, due to all of the turmoil of the past few months, I ended up bouncing around from place to place. We literally moved four times. So, in the process, some diapers were lost in the chaos and others were just taken. Some desperate person apparently stole them. That severely limited my stash and broke my heart. I started to lose interest in CD'ing at that point but kind of had to continue as I cannot afford sposies, generic or otherwise, and if I already have the cloth, why not use what I have left?

Now that we are finally settled into our own house, I ran into a whole new problem. Not only do we have hard water.... but we have a freakin' front loader that uses as little water as possible. :banghead: :gah: :sadno:

For the first time since I started dabbling into CD'ing in 2008, I am dealing with horrendous ammonia problems, severe rashes and eye burning, bacteria laden stench in the morning, I don't like doing it anymore and I am fed up.

I had tried liquid Purex detergent and it didn't work. Sun detergent only seemed to make it worse, even when I doubled the amount of detergent. I just bought a box of Arm & Hammer powder. Do you think that'll work? What else? Bleach in every load from now on? Change the settings on which I wash them? I've been using the Comforters setting, figuring that'll give me the most amount of water. There is a power wash setting which goes on for 3 hours, but as I said, it will use the least amount of water possible.

I am keeping my LO diaperless this morning and working on running them through a hot wash with bleach, then a hot wash with nothing while I cross my fingers that I can find a solution soon. I have about a couple of prefolds (which don't smell), a few Bumstoppers fitteds and a couple of pocket night time diapers (Blueberry bamboo deluxe) with microfiber & hemp inserts, which all smell terribly.

Help!!!

theonenonlymrssmith 12-15-2012 08:53 AM

Poor mama! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I have heard of people tricking their fl's with heavy wet towels to use more water. What about getting rid of your microfiber and getting some flour sack towels? They would still be cheaper than sposies, and will wash up better since it is only 1 layer. Honestly after switching to cloth there is no way I could ever go back to disposables! I would find a way.

I live in the mountains with super hard water. I use a FULL scoop of tide ultra powder. Works great for us.

There is a thread going on about how to start up and entire new stash for the cost of 1 month of sposies, you may look into it and see if starting over is a good option!

shen7 12-15-2012 08:56 AM

Bleach, sanitary cycle or any "heavy duty" cycle. If you have little water then you need it to be really hot at least, and a long cycle. Get some Borax and throw some of that in (maybe 1/2 cup or so directly into the drum) as a water softener and detergent booster.

I have hard water and an HE front loader and I use Sanitary cycle, and add either borax or oxy powder or bleach to every load. I use a generic detergent that contains enzymes. No ammonia or stink since I started doing this. I used to be afraid of bleach and of the sanitary cycle but my diapers are doing fine with it (has been 8 months or so).

Good luck and hugs!!!!

thirdtimemomma 12-15-2012 09:06 AM

Bleach every cycle. Try Tide. Do a bleach and dawn strip. And use a full warm wash with detergent for your prewash.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

lynn97 12-15-2012 09:52 AM

Hugs, mama. First of all, I would bleach everything and strip them (either using a generous amount of detergent and lots of hot rinses in your machine or the Dawn bathtub method). Then, I would try Tide. I prefer liquid but most mamas on here like the powder. I would also use a whites setting and not the comforter setting. I suspect you aren't getting much agitation with it since a washer wouldn't want to agitate a large item a lot. You also may want to try getting flour sack towels as a PPsuggested. Mf really does stink IME ( ours took a while but the overnight diapers in particular just stunk). Good luck, mama!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

boysniris 12-15-2012 10:10 AM

Re: Should I just give up? :(

I agree with PPs, use some bleach. It will disinfect your diapers and help w/the ammonia issues. If you have to buy new diapers, I recommend choosing something that will tolerate regular bleaching.

qsefthuko 12-15-2012 10:13 AM

Another option to switch to are receiving blankets as flats. I don't know age of your lo and have never used flour sack flats. I have used receiving blankets though. They are thicker and bigger so work well for older babies. They work well with both pins or snappies. They may be a bit bulky though if you want to use them padfolded.

c&w's mama 12-15-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith (Post 16046443)
Poor mama! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I have heard of people tricking their fl's with heavy wet towels to use more water. What about getting rid of your microfiber and getting some flour sack towels? They would still be cheaper than sposies, and will wash up better since it is only 1 layer. Honestly after switching to cloth there is no way I could ever go back to disposables! I would find a way.

I live in the mountains with super hard water. I use a FULL scoop of tide ultra powder. Works great for us.

There is a thread going on about how to start up and entire new stash for the cost of 1 month of sposies, you may look into it and see if starting over is a good option
!

keep meaning to read this myself... check it out, too!

I hear you- I have a dreaded FL (some work well CD, some don't).

1 year ago, I started with problems (maybe water chem change for me- but this was all new to me so I didn't know where to start)

try a bit of bleach as all say, but not more than 1/3 cup or whatever your FL says. try the delicate cycle for soaking (still HD, WW, or some kind of hot bulky for the wash)-- it will give you some water. Maybe try a rinse in delicate to help get more water in there- then again, might not agitate enough- not sure. Some use vinegar in the prerinse to go after the ammonia in those overnight dipes. Didn't work for me. Now I pad fold flats in my overnight prefolds to help my washing. My DH had to manually reset our waterlevel-- not recommended but I'm happy ;)

good luck! If you need just a bit of sanity as you buy flour sack towels, flats, rec. blankets, maybe one pack of disposables for overnight while you get it under control would help?

sorry you had to move so much and you lost stuff :( mean people stink.

greencrunchymama 12-15-2012 01:52 PM

I do a delicate warm/warm wash as my prerinse because it adds the most water, then a hot wash, heavy duty, and extra rinse. I use Tide to the 2 line. This has worked the best for me! I hope it works for you!

I am so sad you lost most of your diapers. I remember how excited you were to get them. :hugs:

AmJoyFul 12-15-2012 01:59 PM

Someone posted on Extra Fluffy board about using the delicate cycle because it uses more water. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1469832

A tiny bit of bleach once a week might help and shouldn't put too much wear and tear on your diapers.

Sell your FL and get an old fashioned top loader with the option to use as much water as your hearts desire.