Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need help, which white wine to use in this recipe? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472712)

Michelle_M 12-15-2012 02:41 PM

Need help, which white wine to use in this recipe?

I want to make this for the church potluck tomorrow evening:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mashed-...e7=Home%20Page

I'm a red's drinker so am not sure which whites are dry.

If I remember correctly Reisling is semi-sweet.
Chardonnay is dry, right?
What about Pinot Gregio?
Or am I missing something better?

Since the recipe only takes 1/2 cup of wine, I'd like it to be something that tastes yummy on it's own too.

Thanks!

God bless!

Steph Ed 12-15-2012 03:04 PM

Re: Need help, which white wine to use in this recipe?

At a restaurant I used to work at, they always used Chablis when cooking. But, if you are looking for specifically dry Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay would be good. If I were to drink one, I would drink the Chardonnay (only if Pinot Grigio weren't around :)

Michelle_M 12-15-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph Ed (Post 16047676)
At a restaurant I used to work at, they always used Chablis when cooking. But, if you are looking for specifically dry Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay would be good. If I were to drink one, I would drink the Chardonnay (only if Pinot Grigio weren't around :)

The recipe just says "Dry white wine."

Thanks for the help. I'll get a Chardonnay if I can find an un-oaked one. I hate the oaky flavor of Chardonnay. If not then I'll try the Sauvignon Blanc.

Thanks so much!

God bless!

keen1981 12-15-2012 03:10 PM

I use cooking wine! It's cheap!

Michelle_M 12-15-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16047692)
I use cooking wine! It's cheap!

Yeah, but if I'm gonna use wine in cooking, I may as well get to enjoy a glass, right? LOL

Or, maybe I'll use cooking wine and buy one of my favorite reds to indulge in. LOL

God bless!

Steph Ed 12-15-2012 03:40 PM

I didn't know this, but Chablis is a Chardonnay.

Rdesonia 12-16-2012 12:18 PM

I always buy the cheapest wine I can find for cooking. I often use the "wrong" kind because I just use what I have. (To drink I use to love a Riesling! I've used it to cook with. ) I never buy cooking wine because it adds salt and weird flavors. (Personally I think cooking wine is gross to cook with. I'm not a wine snob.)

Michelle_M 12-16-2012 02:24 PM

Need cooking help fast. DH bought me the wrong cooking wine! Will what he bought still work? The recipe: Poach pears in WHITE wine, mash the pears with sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. DH bought me SHERRY cooking wine. Will it ruin the dish if I use she Sherry? Or do I need a plan B? So frustrated. I texted him EXACTLY what I needed, because he insisted on being helpful. *sigh*. He's not home right now, and of course he left his cell here, so I can't have him pick some up. We have to leave in about an hour. No time to go to the store.... ARGH!

Michelle_M 12-16-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdesonia (Post 16050130)
I always buy the cheapest wine I can find for cooking. I often use the "wrong" kind because I just use what I have. (To drink I use to love a Riesling! I've used it to cook with. ) I never buy cooking wine because it adds salt and weird flavors. (Personally I think cooking wine is gross to cook with. I'm not a wine snob.)

Thanks so much for the perspective! I've never really used cooking wine so I didn't know this!

God bless!

Mack 12-24-2012 10:30 PM

I use a good beer sometimes too! In a pinch you can always use chicken broth.