Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone Ever Refuse Glucose Screening? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472761)

Zoethink 12-15-2012 06:57 PM

Anyone Ever Refuse Glucose Screening?

On what grounds?

Does anyone know if there is an assessment that can determine if the glucose screening is necessary for a given individual?

Just wondering; thanks!!:goodvibes:

tjs77tsa 12-15-2012 07:22 PM

Re: Anyone Ever Refuse Glucose Screening?

I did for my last two kids they can do a Hemoglobin A1c test instead. they don't like to do it but I told them it was that or nothing.

Edit "on what grounds" I told them my body my choice end of discussion

Yarnjess 12-15-2012 07:25 PM

I did. My midwife did urine dips at each appointment and I never had any risk factors for GD, so I declined with her support. It didn't used to be SOP for every pregnancy like it is now - only when indicated by other symptoms and less unpleasant screenings (the urine dip). The percentage if women who develop GD is pretty low and the test has a significant false positive rate, which causes extra stress on those mamas who have to retest and are fine. I prefer a low testing and intervention approach to prenatal care. That said, I would (and did) go ahead with tests my midwife felt were necessary because she was supportive of my low intervention approach and what she wanted was medically indicated (not for GD, but for preeclampsia). Hope that helps.

KelseyH 12-15-2012 07:31 PM

I declined.

- High rate of false positives due to shock reaction to the test
- Unnecessary sugar load on my body
- Fasting is unnecessary and potentially dangerous
- Testing/treating GD has no positive health impacts during pregnancy
- I am personally low-risk for GD
- Already follow a low-glycemic/"GD diet" as part of my lifestyle

Kuddlykelz 12-15-2012 07:40 PM

When I worked in OBGYN those who declined were usually given a monitor and told to log blood sugars for a week. Also, I've seen alot of false positives come through.

1busyb 12-15-2012 07:46 PM

I am allergic to corn, and the glucose syrup is derived from corn. I had already had a bad reaction to corn in my zofran pills and had been very sick with hyperemesis (I lost 17 lbs during my first trimester.) ingesting that much of it in a short time was just not an option for me. My OB had me check my blood sugar fasting and then after my first meal for a week.

KaleidoscopeEyes 12-15-2012 07:47 PM

Ive never had one. first time i was pg i didnt get prenatal care from week 20-36 (moved out of state temporarily) second time i was already eating low carb and felt it unnecessary. third and forth i was having an unassisted pregnancy and didnt do testing of any kind

bigmamakelsey 12-15-2012 08:06 PM

I declined. I'm very low risk for diabetes.

evasimone 12-15-2012 08:09 PM

I did a very modified test. I had eggs, toast and chocolate milk for breakfast and my midwife tested my sugar an hour later. I was 65. She didn't tell me what to eat just to eat some carbs and protein.

I would have refused a standard glucola test that they do at the OBs its just not healthy and I don't have any risk factors.

lovebear 12-15-2012 08:11 PM

I never had one before because my OB didn't request for me to go for screening. Besides, I'm at low-risk for gestational diabetes. As much as possible, I try to stay away from corn and my rice intake is no more than a cup.