Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Surprise twins at 21w u/s (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472824)

bai18176 12-16-2012 12:01 AM

Surprise twins at 21w u/s

We just found out this week that we are expecting twins! I am pretty freaked out about it all. We did our ultrasound late as we were out of town and our midwife wanted us to wait until we got back. It had been 6 weeks or so since we'd seen her when we went to the ultrasound, and needless to say it was the shock of our lives! I'm not quite over the shock yet! There are no twins anywhere in the family, and with these two we will jump from 4 kids to 6. I'm not sure how well we will fit in the car anymore! Our oldest will have just turned 8. On the bright side, our families are a bit more excited about this than they were with just us being pregnant with #5, go figure. I'm also glad to know why I gained so much weight all of a sudden! Anyways, just wanted to share and hopefully hear from some other mamas of multiples. I never ever thought I would be in that category! We now have to choose a homebirth or a hospital birth instead of our birth center, and to be honest, I am not comfortable with either choice with twins. Ugh. Just what we get for thinking we had this whole baby thing figured out:giggle:

jennayoung99 12-16-2012 10:44 AM

How exciting!!!! This exact thing just happened to my sister, at her 20 week ultrasound. She was freaking out at first but is starting to calm down a bit. Its such an amazing blessing. I wish I lived closer to her to help out. Congratulations!

Brooke789 12-16-2012 10:46 AM

Re: Surprise twins at 21w u/s

Congrats!!

Traysee 12-16-2012 10:55 AM

Congratulations :O)

I am a twin momma of toddlers. I honestly would never consider a home birth with twins. Statistically 50% of twins are born premature and most needs at least a few days in the NICU. Twin births have a much higher C-Section rate (60%). I know quite a few people who had a vaginal delivery for the first and needed an emergency C-Section for the second. Once the first baby comes out the second one can flip and breech. I can't imagine not having everything in place just in case.

I'm not trying to scare you but I think people are getting desensitized to multiple pregnancies that they forget they are high risk. I would never forgive myself if precious minutes mattered. The safest place to have them is in a hospital with a level 3 NICU.

bai18176 12-16-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traysee (Post 16049838)
Congratulations :O)

I am a twin momma of toddlers. I honestly would never consider a home birth with twins. Statistically 50% of twins are born premature and most needs at least a few days in the NICU. Twin births have a much higher C-Section rate (60%). I know quite a few people who had a vaginal delivery for the first and needed an emergency C-Section for the second. Once the first baby comes out the second one can flip and breech. I can't imagine not having everything in place just in case.

I'm not trying to scare you but I think people are getting desensitized to multiple pregnancies that they forget they are high risk. I would never forgive myself if precious minutes mattered. The safest place to have them is in a hospital with a level 3 NICU.

If only they would let me deliver in a hospital with my midwife and an OB nearby. That would be my happy (but impossible) scenario. The idea of delivering in the OR doesn't appeal to me at all. Did you have your twins vaginally or by c-section? I only know people who've had c-sections, with one exception, and I don't know her well.

Traysee 12-16-2012 06:03 PM

I am not sure what the rules are for twin deliveries but it seems that there are ALOT of people in the room, like 12 people. They want you in the OR so that if it goes bad they can be set up super quick.

I had my girls by c-section. My sister had hers vaginally and my friend had hers by c-section. Both my and my friends c-section was our first pregnancy and we both had to deliver early. Me for pre-e and my friend for low blood pressure and baby distress. My sister had had a singleton pregnancy (vaginally) before having the twins (vaginally). When my sisters twins were born the first one came out and they literally jumped on her stomach to try to hold the other baby from spinning around.

I think the best thing to do is just take the time to adjust to the idea of twins and take it day by day. Your body knows how to be pregnant. I wouldn't worry too much about the delivery part. Have a plan in mind, but be flexible. Treat yourself well and just don't over do it, especially stairs. Twin pregnancy is tricky because your body thinks they are ready before they are. There is a lot more weight on your cervix and your uterus.

Statistically 50% of twins come around 37 weeks My sisters were 37, mine were 35w6d and my friend was 31w5d. You probably just shaved a month off your pregnancy :O)

Are you going to find out what sex they are? Do you know if they are identical or fraterna?

LeAdams7 12-16-2012 06:10 PM

I have toddler twins and I delivered via c-section. Twin a was breech; I'd say just keep an open mind about delivery and of also say a hospital birth is safer with twins in case the second one turns after the first is delivered or any other complication arises. Toddlerhood is a special time with twins! I never liked buying then the same things but not that they are 2, having the same sippies, bibs, ect saves a lot of stress for mamma. Good luck!

Brooke789 12-16-2012 06:14 PM

My twins were by c-section too. They were born at 36W6D after I developed pre-eclampsia. They had no NICU or any 'extras' at the hospital. We all went home together.

homebirthmom 12-16-2012 06:23 PM

congrats!! I would love to have that but also maybe not so much... lol. lots of work. I have 5 as well now. I have attended 3 sets of homebirths for twins now. one included a breech, one a waterbirth and all were fast and easy for the mama. one set was early at 36 weeks. however, the majority of twim homebirths do go to term and have little to no transports if you look up the stats.
there is NO reason you have to be looked at as high risk. pregnancy is not an illness. we are designed for this. make sure you eat at least 60-100mg of protein each day to keep away toxemia (which tends to happen more with dr following mamas)
do what you feel most comfy with on delivering.
I would prefer home or birth center. no way hospital as most get a c section or in NICU for observation. best place for a smaller baby is on your chest around very few germs and a hospital has them everywhere.

I wish you the best and some peace with your decision, remember you are not 40 weeks yet. you have time :)

Traysee 12-16-2012 06:58 PM

Mine were in the NICU for 5 and 7 days one for low oxygen and the other for glucose and both for jaundice. My sisters for 2 weeks and my friends for 3 weeks. My pregnancy was hard on my body, I had gestational diabetes and a shortened cervix I was on modified bed rest starting at 24 weeks. It was not easy on me. I got thru it although I am still borderline diabetic and my heart is a little hinky.

Our bodies are designed for singleton pregnancies. Just because twin pregnancies are more common does not disqualify them from being high risk. We could go back and forth all day about home birth vs hospital birth, but the bottom line is if you need a transfusion or the baby does end up in distress why would you not take advantage of being in an facility equipt to deal with it? Being high risk qualifies you for more care. Why wouldn't you want to avail yourself of those benefits?