Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Wrists tied up on both sides of the operating table (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472827)

lovebear 12-16-2012 12:30 AM

Wrists tied up on both sides of the operating table

Was it a standard procedure for a mother to be tied on both wrists on the operating table while undergoing C-Section? I had C-Section twice and they tied both of my wrists on the sides of the table. I realized that I was tied up after I woke up and was already sealed up. I forgot to ask my OB about it.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 12-16-2012 12:41 AM

Re: Wrists tied up on both sides of the operating table

hmm, I've had 3 c/s and was not tied up any of the times. I specifically told the dr's who delivered me that I didn't want to be tied as i will make me freak out and panic.The first dr said they don't tie you unless they need to, if you freak out and try to get up or grab at the curtain or whatever. He delivered my second and third children, the dr who delivered my last baby also didn't tie my hands, they told me make sure I didn't try and grab for the curtain.

lovebear 12-16-2012 12:57 AM

Oh I see. I didn't freak out when I realized that I was tied on both sides. I wondered why. Thankfully the anesthesiologist was very kind and made me feel calm because he smiled and said, "You’re doing well".

KelseyH 12-16-2012 01:25 AM

My best friend had both arms strapped down as part of SOP when she had her C/S.

raisingcropsandbabies 12-16-2012 04:05 AM

I've had my wrists strapped down for all 3 of my pregnancies. With the last baby though, the anesthesiologists okay'd having one of my arms unstrapped so I could touch and feel the baby after she was pulled out. Then he left it that way for the rest of the c-section. It's standard practice here, but as kangaroo c/s are becoming more accepted; I think the rule is changing!
That part didn't make me feel panick-y though. It's that dang curtain so close to my neck! The anesthesiologist would see me react to it on the bp, heartrate machine when the curtain got on my neck and so he would push it back off all throughout my c-sections!

Catbutt Diapers 12-16-2012 10:46 AM

I've thankfully not had a CS, but in the hospital here it is standard procedure to tie you down - no ifs ands or buts.
They will also strap you down if you need fetal monitoring and your contractions are really strong.

qsefthuko 12-16-2012 11:25 AM

I delivered my 3 children in two different states and hospitals wih three different doctors. My arms were strapped down with all three of them.

EmilytheStrange 12-16-2012 01:01 PM

wow... I don't recall my arms being tied down. DH doesn't remember but thinks it's probable.

you'd think that'd be something I'd remember though. I thought DH held one of my hands during the surgery. and he most certainly was on the head side of the curtain.

maybe... hmmm... now I really wonder.

myclanof6 12-16-2012 01:07 PM

It is SOP but I told them I didn't want them to. They said as long as I didn't try to tear down the curtain then they don't have a problem with it. I never had them tied down, I don't think I could deal with being completely immobile.

7 for now 12-16-2012 11:02 PM

I just had my first csection 4 weeks ago. The anesthesiologist said since I was a nurse and seemed pretty calm he would leave both my arms unstrapped but not to try to "help" or reach over the curtain! Lol! I was too sick from the fever ad spinal making me feel so nauseous I did not move anywhere. So I guess they do it here but I did not have mine done

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum