Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Starting at 19 mo. considered EC? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473011)

eskade 12-16-2012 09:02 PM

Starting at 19 mo. considered EC?

Would starting at 19 months be considered EC, or just potty training? Maybe there's not a difference at this point? I am thinking about starting with my daughter, but are there any differences in cues, etc. between EC and "potty training" at this age?

abunchoflemons 12-16-2012 09:37 PM

Re: Starting at 19 mo. considered EC?

Idk on differences. Potty training is telling where ok to pee & po & not. Today in church it was suggested to shirt & socks.....rewards for doing stuff in right place if dry at night.

strongwoman 12-16-2012 11:06 PM

From what I've read, EC is usually from 0-18 months and potty training is from 18-30 months. There was an email I got for www.ecsimplified.com that explained the difference between EC and PT- i can forward it to you if you want. Andrea, of ECSimplified, recommends a book called "oh crap, potty training" by Jamie Glowacki to help with PT. I think you might want to go that route since baby is older now, but you can definitely try out EC first; wouldn't hurt to try to get the babe out of diapers as soon as possible!

eskade 12-17-2012 03:46 AM

If you have that email, I would love to have it forwarded! I will PM you my email address...

strongwoman 12-17-2012 03:11 PM

Ok, sounds good :)

Pixi6s 12-17-2012 03:44 PM

I would think at 19 months it would be introducing the potty and your job to try and time the potty catches. Not sure how much cues are going to work now, at least the traditional PSSt or what not. Maybe try and say the same phase.

With my son these days. We say "D is on the potty, its for poo and pee" from one of his potty books. I don't know if it matters though. :)

Sakari 01-08-2013 11:02 PM

In my mind there's a difference still. EC is helping your child use a clean, hygenic place to eliminate their waste for THEIR own benefit.

PTing is training a child to use the toilet so the parents don't have to change diapers anymore ;-)

It's definitely subtle - and hugely generalized - but I think an EC mindset is more of helping the child learn that there is another alternative to a diaper. There is no right or wrong, no timetable, no expectations. But here's an alternative that is more comfortable for the child, cleaner, faster (back to playing faster!) and even, more fun! Mom or dad or someone can always come along and make bathroom time fun - unlike those pesky hold-the-toddler-down diaper changes.

PTing is more focused on rewards and charts and did you do it Right?! Did you Get It?! Are you a BIG kid now?!

EC is just natural growth. Do you want to use the toilet? Do you like wearing wet clothes? Do you like to flush that smelly stuff away? Do you want to hurry and get back to what you were doing? and whatever answer is given is fine! No rush, no timetable, nothing to regress over, nothing to get defiant about, nothing to hide.

Therefore - I would do EC with my 19mo :wub: :giggle: