Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Prenatal Vitamin Do You Like? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473114)

lynn97 12-17-2012 08:56 AM

What Prenatal Vitamin Do You Like?

I have been taking Rainbow Lights but they are not going well for me. They are so stinky and giant. This paired with my constant nausea is not good. I bought a bottle of gummi vitamins last week and those are going better but nine of them have iron for some reason. I took an rx (Prenexa) with DS and loved it but it is going to be pricey under my current insurance. What do you guys take and recommend? Should I just pay for the rx? (It's about $1 a pill.)

3 ladybugs 12-17-2012 09:01 AM

Re: What Prenatal Vitamin Do You Like?

There are different types of Rainbow light (4 types actually), could you see if any of your friends have the other types to see if they are better for you? I was recommended RL by my holistic friends. So that is what I went with.

However if you do go with a Rx prenatal I really recommend the Duet DHA ones. They have a coating that makes them easier to digest. I was on them when I had mild hypermesis 6 years ago.

BTW I looked and looked and there is no injectable prenatal. When my MS was really bad I wanted something like that and as of a couple of years ago, there is none. :(

Pixi6s 12-17-2012 09:03 AM

You don't have to take prenatals -- woman's vitamins generally have the same stuff in them. With my first I continued taking my One A Day Women's with an extra 200mg folic acid. I now take the rainbow woman's. it already have 400mg on folic acid so I will probably just continue with them once pregnant.

homebirthmom 12-17-2012 09:09 AM

I swear by the GNC ultra mega. they have enough b vitamins in it to not make you nauseated. also they taste like vanilla. I would get the slow release kind where you only need 2 a day. NOT the 4. they are really inexpensive too
I got a little sick last night so i took a seperate disolving b12 and that fixed it in minutes.
I know alot of people who cannot tolerate the rainbow kind. I think its the iron and zinc that makes you sick.
I would constantly feel ill on some vitamins just from the zinc. sometimes even threw up. ick ick ick.

lynn97 12-17-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s
You don't have to take prenatals -- woman's vitamins generally have the same stuff in them. With my first I continued taking my One A Day Women's with an extra 200mg folic acid. I now take the rainbow woman's. it already have 400mg on folic acid so I will probably just continue with them once pregnant.

Yes, my gummy ones are just a women's vitamin. The prenatal ones all had fish oil in them and I have shellfish allergy. I noticed that many are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

lynn97 12-17-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
There are different types of Rainbow light (4 types actually), could you see if any of your friends have the other types to see if they are better for you? I was recommended RL by my holistic friends. So that is what I went with.

However if you do go with a Rx prenatal I really recommend the Duet DHA ones. They have a coating that makes them easier to digest. I was on them when I had mild hypermesis 6 years ago.

BTW I looked and looked and there is no injectable prenatal. When my MS was really bad I wanted something like that and as of a couple of years ago, there is none. :(

Most if my friends don't take vitamins at all. My old rx Prenatal is also smooth coated and had DHA plus stool softener. It was really good for me but I just hate to spend so much money. I wonder if there is a similar generic? I assume Duet is a brand name?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

MrsLisaT 12-17-2012 10:28 AM

I take the One-a-day Prenatals. I've been on them since June or July and have had no issues at all. They are not terribly expensive either. The box inclused the regular prenatals and an extra DHA one. I admit, the prenatal does taste a little gross if I don't swallow it quick enough though!

JennTheMomma 12-17-2012 12:22 PM

I take ones that my local co-op makes. They are a lot like one of the Rainbow Light versions (I forget which one exactly).

AniMommy 12-17-2012 01:49 PM

I take a regular adult gummy and a folic acid. The folic acid is really small (like the size of a baby asprin) and tastless. I had switch gummy brands because the first one that had DHA from on fish oil had a strange taste that I couldn't take after awhile (just grossed me out).

I also take gummy calcium chews, a separate stool softener and iron. Thery're so much easier to take as small pills one at time than some giant horse pill that I can't swollow.

lecialefty 12-17-2012 02:53 PM

I found them easier to take at night when I was feeling sick.