Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Could anyone give me some speed tips? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473196)

jensben 12-17-2012 02:08 PM

Could anyone give me some speed tips?

I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my 5th boy (oldest is 9)...I need some tips on efficiency! I looove CDing but totally burned out with my last 2 babies.

Please help me prepare to make it work this time! I'm planning to use GMD
prefolds and Kissaluv 0s.

TIA!!

qsefthuko 12-17-2012 02:16 PM

Re: Could anyone give me some speed tips?

I don't bother spraying ebf poop or peanutbutter poop. So far so good. Ds2 is 18 months. Any soaking I need to do is done in the washer overnight. This way the machine is available when I need it and not occupied with cloth diapers. Start out with a nice strong detergent. Most "cloth safe" detergents just don't seem to work well cleaning diapers. They preserve your diapers along with the nice aroma of ammonia.

Washing problems may be short circuited if you figure out now what water type you have before problems crop up. That way you can determine a washing routine that works for your water type ahead of time.

Pixi6s 12-17-2012 02:20 PM

I'm confused as to what you mean by efficiency? If you wanted to make it easier would a AIO/AI2 work for you?

badmisterkitty 12-17-2012 02:56 PM

Diaper straight out of the clothes basket? :)

Pixi6s 12-17-2012 03:10 PM

Maybe don't stress about washing. Starting the washing machine before going to bed and starting the dryer first thing in the morning works! diapers don't have to be folded organised before putting them away (unless using flats I would assume)....

jensben 12-17-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Washing problems may be short circuited if you figure out now what water type you have before problems crop up. That way you can determine a washing routine that works for your water type ahead of time.
Yes, this has derailed me in the past! We have suuuuper hard water and hubbie and I give up fast if the diapers start to stink. I just don't know how to stop it from happening.

I like the laundry ideas, too.

Keep 'em coming!

Pixi6s 12-17-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jensben (Post 16054354)
Yes, this has derailed me in the past! We have suuuuper hard water and hubbie and I give up fast if the diapers start to stink. I just don't know how to stop it from happening.

I like the laundry ideas, too.

Keep 'em coming!

Hard water probably mean more soap with extra rinse... i think.

mariamommy 12-17-2012 03:42 PM

What's your current stash? What things about cloth diapering did you think were time consuming when you did it in the past?

nonipie 12-17-2012 06:55 PM

What are you washing with? For me the efficiency is having stuff that I know works and a wash routine that I know works every single time. This time around I need fast so basic fitteds with snaps under wool or a dappi cover, BGE or 3.0 stuffed with a flat for the diaper bag and Flip organics for nights. Tide Free powder, occasionally bleach then everything in the dryer.

jensben 12-17-2012 08:05 PM

I think last time I just wasn't prepared...didn't have enough dipes...and then was at Costco and bought a big box of disposables for 'back-up' and then...well, it was all over. : )

The hard water thing also got me off track. I'm currently using just the Kirkland brand regular detergent, but a friend gave me some RLR so I treated all my diapers with that. They used to stink like ammonia when Baby wet.

This time, I am also trying to build up my stash of size smalls. I know that after the newborn stage, I won't have time to research what to buy for the next stage so I'm trying to do that now when I have extra time...plus it's so fun!!