Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Refusing Eye ointment in ontario (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473397)

chandni3 12-18-2012 09:16 AM

Refusing Eye ointment in ontario

Has anyone? I just read today in my midwife info book that's it's law in Canada for all newborns. Has anyone refused? I'm having a hospital birth but with a midwife.

eljube112 12-18-2012 09:36 AM

Re: Refusing Eye ointment in ontario

I refused with all of mine.

My first was a hospital birth, and my midwife refused it but the nurses gave it anyway. I was upset.

If you don't want it, just stand your ground and keep a close eye on the nurses. My midwife didn't care if we gave it.

It is law, but the law is a silly one. I wish they would get rid of t. :(

chandni3 12-18-2012 10:01 AM

I'm going to ask at my next appointment. It is a stupid law. If I did a urine test to show I don't have those STD's why should I have to give the ointment to my baby. It's not a big deal to me, I did it with my daughter (I didn't know it was only for STD's), but I'm going to try to refuse it this time.

jennayoung99 12-18-2012 10:16 AM

Hmmm maybe I should check this out. I'm not in ontario but alberta and I was planning on refusing this time around. DH even agreed with me, now hearing I might not have a choice kind of erks me. But I thought I remembered them asking me if I wanted it when I was in labour, that and the vit k were the 2 things they asked me. Maybe I was in a crazy labour hallucination tho.

wordmama 12-18-2012 05:56 PM

I was just at a birth where the mum refused it without any problems (in Ontario).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

almostcrunchy 12-18-2012 06:14 PM

Okay, first off, I am not in Canada and I'm a homebirther.....so take it as you will :giggle:

The ointment is required here in WA where I live. I just refuse and my MW marks it down as "mother refused" and that's that.

If you are having a hospital birth, could you just not let them do it? I mean I can't see them physically forcing the drops?

I hope you can find a way around it! :goodvibes:

Blueberry32 12-18-2012 08:33 PM

I'm in BC and last time my mw had me sign a form refusing it at one of my appointments. Same thing this time. I didn't have any trouble at the hospital when my dd was born. No one tried to push it on me. I wasn't aware it was a law. My mw just told me it wasn't necessary and that it was an outdated precaution. But ultimately the decision was mine.

canadianbakers 12-18-2012 08:54 PM

I'm in MB, but we have refused it for our boys and there was no problem with that. I don't remember having to sign anything saying we didn't want it, just told them no.

Computermama 12-18-2012 09:04 PM

I'm in Ontario. My midwife offered the vitamin k shot and the eye ointment and asked if I wanted her to have either of them. I said yes to the vit k and no to the ointment. She seemed pretty non-plussed by it, saying something about it being based on old methods anyway. That was the end of the discussion. DD1 had both I'm sure, they were never given as an option, but that is one of the many things I was unhappy about at her birth. If you pipe up it should be no problem.

mmeneely 06-08-2013 08:57 PM

I feel that this is important enough to bring up again.
I am due this week in Ontario and do not want either. I had an agreement with the nurse the first few times, raised my voice at the nurse who took our baby and did both the shot and E cream after I said there was no way our baby was getting either. She took our child in another room during the night and did it and I woke up to a cry, and found her in the room where she said she did it because it was law. I called bullcrap.
** I am prepared to refuse and leave the hospital before released if they even TRY to swing another fast one on me.
What are my rights?