Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Is there a way to prevent pooping while pushing? :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473455)

MyM&W 12-18-2012 12:17 PM

Is there a way to prevent pooping while pushing? :(

I went into labor with my first child but stalled and had to be induced. I ended up having to go right before I pushed. In front of everyone :(.

I was hopeful that it would be different with my 2nd but when I went a week over they induced. I know typically before a women goes into labor her body gets rid of a lot of that right? Well I never had the chance lol. With ds it was so embarrassing. I really had to go but the dr wouldn't let me. My mom, husband, DD, step dad and a couple nurses and the doctor was in the room..I was on my hands and knees and the nurse had to wipe me. That wad 40 mins before ds was even born! I could have gone to the bathroom. I hated that. My mom and husband laughed. It smelled and I cried. :( I'm so scared of that happening again with this baby. Sigh. I've thought about taking some lexatea the night before induction (I'm sure I'll be induced again) and hopefully that clears everything out before we go to the hospital haha.

Any suggestions? I will not poo in front of all those people again. Heck no!!

Belle 12-18-2012 12:25 PM

Nurses will usually give you an enema upon request when you check in, but that might not prevent it. There's no way to stop it if it's going to happen, and if you're trying to hold poop in while pushing, that's going to keep you from pushing effectively.

I also knew when I was close to pushing that they wouldn't let me go to the bathroom if I told them I had to go poo, because they didn't want me pushing on the toilet. So, I just told them I had to urinate and they let me go to the bathroom and I pooped there anyway. Still pooped on the delivery bed later, though.

Personally, I would smack anyone who was laughing at me during labor for things I cannot control. That just seems cruel, given that almost everyone I know who has given birth has done it. The nurses just clean it up and don't even mention it.

ETA: I also only had DH in the room with my doula and hospital staff...I can't imagine having that many people watch me during labor even if pooping wasn't party of the process!! Tel them to wait outside!

Dory 12-18-2012 12:27 PM

I've been induced three times, and each tine I've been allowed top go to the bathroom when needed. With my third they encouraged walking, so I could walk for 30 minutes, then go back on the monitors for 30, then walk 30, and so on. It was a tiny hospital and I could only pass the same rooms so many times in one walk, so I walked 15 or 20 and tried to poop for 15 or 10. Right before my epidural I had to pee and finally went poop!

kushie tushie 12-18-2012 12:27 PM

:giggle: I'm sorry but this made me laugh... :/

With my first I had serve diarrhea and was throwing up like crazy before we left. DH even brought plastic bags in the car just incase I pooped again. He slso lined the seats with towels.

With DD I never had that happen. I went in to labor. No poop no puke no anything. I pooped a little while pushing and I was so embarrassed! I announced it because I figured it would be more embarrassing to ignore it. LOL

My worst fear was always pooping while laboring. So I'll be paying attention to this thread so it doesn't happen again. Lol

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

eljube112 12-18-2012 12:33 PM

Re: Is there a way to prevent pooping while pushing? :(

The head passing through the birth canal forces poop out. Hospital staff are not phased by it, and anyone who would laugh would be banned from the room so fast!!

An enema might help, but not for sure.

I've pooped for all of mine. It's embarrassing, but its also normal.

MyM&W 12-18-2012 12:38 PM

Yeah I know its normal. But still sucks Hahaha!

SamanthaLove88 12-18-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyM&W (Post 16057594)
Yeah I know its normal. But still sucks Hahaha!

It does! I did with my daughter too and my husband brings it up from time to time. To make myself feel better I just laugh embarrassingly and say "No I didn't!" Haha :giggle: I know I did but just basically saying that keeps me from wanting to seriously almost cry in embarrassment. Noone likes that!

kushie tushie 12-18-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 (Post 16057606)

It does! I did with my daughter too and my husband brings it up from time to time. To make myself feel better I just laugh embarrassingly and say "No I didn't!" Haha :giggle: I know I did but just basically saying that keeps me from wanting to seriously almost cry in embarrassment. Noone likes that!

:/ thank God my husband doesn't bring it up! I would die from embarrassment over and over again.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

delicatefade 12-18-2012 12:59 PM

I don't know if there is any way to prevent it, and I also don't know if I've ever done it... no one has ever said anything! And I didn't notice anything either.

expaik 12-18-2012 01:41 PM

Oh.. memories... I also hated the pooping (did so with 2 of my 3 babies) but I was much more terrified about vomiting in labor. (I'm an emetophobe.) Which thankfully I never did.