Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anatomy scan after 22 weeks? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473628)

mrspopo 12-18-2012 11:25 PM

sisu 12-18-2012 11:30 PM

Re: Anatomy scan after 22 weeks?

We had my son's at 21+ weeks, and my daughter's slightly later. It *can* be done, I would absolutely call and talk to someone else!

Kuddlykelz 12-19-2012 05:09 AM

When I worked at an OBGYN we had plenty of late scans. Their rule of thumb is that you had to be at least 20 weeks. I've seen them done anywhere between 20-28 weeks. Its a good idea to have an anatomy scan even if you don't want to know gender, if that is what's keeping you. They will always ask if you want to know gender before starting so they'll try to avoid getting a good look down there to keep it a sutprise. The anatomy scan is done to make sure the baby is developing and growing properly. If there's a problem IMO good to be prepared beforehand.

EmilyA874 12-19-2012 05:15 AM

I had mine at 23 weeks. Also, I was actually told it is better to do it around 22 but before 24 weeks because they can see the heart much better at 22 weeks than before, as well as some other things they check. The ribs start to make it hard to see organs after 24 weeks though.
Eta: can you not bring your DD? My DH couldn't get off for mine either, I asked a friend to go with me to help with DD and that worked fine. My DD also went with me at 24 and 25 weeks to MFM and the cardiologist where they did echoes of the babies heart and she did really well. Just thought I'd mention that, maybe it's an option for you to take her too?

3 ladybugs 12-19-2012 05:51 AM

I had a scan at 30 weeks for my own "peace of mind" about my son. I know she checked the organs and such of him at that point. However this was at my Peri's office so maybe just an OB wouldn't be as familiar with everything as the Peri would be? My Peri even told me how much my son would weigh assuming I made it to the scheduled c-section (which I did - 38 weeks). He was off by an ounce. He said my DS would be 8 lbs and he was born at 8 lbs 1 oz. :giggle2:

Mamma527 12-19-2012 06:04 AM

I had one at 20 weeks, but then I had to go back at 28 to recheck her spine. She said they like to do it around 20 weeks because the baby is an easy size to see, but I'm sure they can do it later. I would just call and ask.

SaraElise 12-19-2012 06:11 AM

I'm sure it will be fine. All of mine have been at about 21 weeks, and with my daughter she fell asleep and they couldn't get a lot of the measurements, so they had us come back at 24 weeks and re did all of them then with no problem.

mommajewels 12-19-2012 06:29 AM

With this baby, I had my first a/s done at 22 weeks. However, baby wasn't too cooperative and they were unable to get all the images they needed, so I had to have it redone at 26 weeks and they were able to get all the pictures without incident. :)

canadianbakers 12-19-2012 07:03 AM

They generally like to get the scan done between 18 and 24 weeks. After that point, baby could be getting too big to get the shots they want/need.
I would think 22-24 weeks would be okay - I would just be prepared to possibly not get the best angles/shots and possibly need a follow-up scan to try for a good view.

lynn97 12-19-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamma527
I had one at 20 weeks, but then I had to go back at 28 to recheck her spine. She said they like to do it around 20 weeks because the baby is an easy size to see, but I'm sure they can do it later. I would just call and ask.

Yep, I think 20 weeks is their preference due to size, but I wouldn't think 2 weeks would be a deal-breaker. I think they look at the standard measurements for 20 weeks but they will, of course, vary.

I really wouldn't skip the anatomy scan. We opted out of many tests with DS (and will with this one too), including the early u/s series looking for chromosomal and genetic disorders. But the anatomy scan tells so much about the baby's organ functions and developmental progress that I feel it's imperative. We also did not find out what the sex was, so it was all business.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum