Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTC - Trying To Conceive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Testing for Low progesterone (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474278)

Pixi6s 12-21-2012 01:30 PM

Testing for Low progesterone

The test for Low progesterone is just a blood test right? Do you think any doctor can do it? I really am not ready to goto a fertility person but I think I have a lot of low progesterone symptoms and I wonder if it's worth getting it officially checked out.

I'm curious if I call up the family practice I am part of and ask them to test my progesterone levels if they will think I have 3 heads? It would be done during the post lunar phase (2ww) right?

I've started to wonder that even if I do manage to get pg right now, if my low progesterone levels continue it won't end well. hmm....

thanks

katiecornflakes 12-21-2012 03:34 PM

Re: Testing for Low progesterone

Its just a blood test. Usually 3-7 days after ovulation. I would think a FP would do it, although if they don't do any OB stuff they might defer to an OB. I would ask someone to test it who can/will prescribe a supplement in the event that it's low and you get pg and need supplements in the first trimester.

mama1980 12-21-2012 03:46 PM

Testing for progesterone (specifically P4) is done on 7DPO. That level at that time interval will determine if ovulation actually happened and if it's high enough to sustain a pregnancy. I wouldn't mess around with waiting, especially if TTC with low prog.

I will TTC again next month, after our 15 week loss in May. I had low progesterone and bleeding issues the whole time--although not necessarily a loss related to low prog. (we did not do genetic testing), but combined with it being a twin gestation and starting supplementation too late, I just don't want to take a chance. The 2ww of every cycle we TTC here on out we'll start supplementation.

Good luck, mama!

Pixi6s 12-21-2012 04:13 PM

great information thanks! I'm kinda lucky that my FP use to be an OB, so unless she is restricted by what she can do (not sure) she has a lot of good knowledge.

If testing needs to be done 7dpo then this cycle is a bust, that would be in 2 or 3 days. but maybe I will think about it for a future cycle.

crunchymamaNY 12-21-2012 06:15 PM

Mine was a blood test, but I read somewhere that there are saliva tests as well and that they are supposed to be more accurate, but I don't know.

I am newly pregnant and have low progesterone levels. I had an early m/c in Jan, and so I asked them if I could get progesterone tested, and I found out it's really low. I'm very nervous about this pregnancy because of that. Sadly, my health ins won't cover the meds, so I'm looking into alternatives and for now, I'm using OTC cream.

Pixi6s 12-21-2012 06:51 PM

Insurance can suck. Good Luck!

homebirthmom 12-26-2012 02:06 PM

you can also take a guess if you are low, there are signs and symptoms... short luteal phase is the #1 clue

*TinyJoys* 12-26-2012 02:39 PM

I had my progesterone tested when I was in university, I was about 21 years old and it was quite low. My naturopathic doctor did it for me using my saliva samples. Afterward he gave me an herbal supplement containing chasteberry, the same herb used in Vitex. I took that for 2 years. After I got married in 2010, I was 23, I got pregnant right away with my son without any issues. I don't have any issues with getting pregnant now, but I just had a loss this month and am wondering if my progesterone is low again because it has been 4 years since I've been tested now. I'm going to do the saliva sample again soon, because the loss was heartbreaking and I want to avoid another one at all costs.