Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   No matter how much I purge (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474282)

redsonja 12-21-2012 12:35 PM

No matter how much I purge

I feel like my house is still CRAMMED with stuff! Ugh, it's driving me crazy. Do you ever get to a place where you're satisfied with the quantity of things in your house?

deezee02 12-21-2012 01:05 PM

A long, sometimes frustrating process

deezee02 12-21-2012 01:06 PM

It cut off part of my message... Yes, but after a year we are finally getting there, but it is a process!

AfWife8405 12-21-2012 01:18 PM

Re: No matter how much I purge

In the beginning it can feel like a very long road and you are never really done as I suspect maintaining has its own struggles. When I started minimizing about 14 months ago, I would say 50% of our belongings were unloved or unused, now I think that number is about 15%. My goal is to cut that in half by mid year when we move and then hopefully the process of unpacking in our new home will shed some light on areas that are overlooked.

moms5angels 12-21-2012 05:21 PM

in the begining i felt the same way. i remeber thinking. "is this ever gonna end?!" :giggle: im now 2yrs into it & it has gotten better. i will admit the beging is the hardest but dont give up. its sooo worth it in the end! :D u will get to a point where your doing more maintaning of it & less car loads of stuff your clearing out. :hugs:

elizabeth.scalf 12-21-2012 06:20 PM

It takes many round off purging to get to a minimalist level. I've said it before, but it really takes a while. spend a lot of purging until you get exhausted, then spends some time learning to keep it at that level. Then gain some more momentum to get a new purge going.

tallanvor 12-21-2012 07:00 PM

It's also an ongoing process because more stuff comes in. I go through things a few times a year. Because I go through the whole house at least twice a year, it doesn't take long to do and things don't get too out of hand.

harmoni247 12-21-2012 10:58 PM

Yep, needs change, so we end up buying things for those needs and then purging what doesn't work all over again. My kids are homeschooled so our educational toys are constantly being purged and rebought/made. Clothes are inherently like this, we reasses with every season and growth spurt. Cosmetics too, my skin and hair are always changing. There are few things in our homes that don't need constant purging. It always makes me feel wasteful though. :( I try to do my best at finding old items a new home and buying items that decompose easily, but it's still sobering how much stuff a family of five goes through even after we've pared down considerably. It makes me wonder how much the general population goes through when they aren't being so careful about what they're bringing into their home.

BNC 12-21-2012 11:21 PM

Ive never felt done, lol!

redsonja 12-22-2012 12:50 AM

After the holidays I'm going to take pictures to get your ideas.