Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Washing bottles (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474333)

dvansmom 12-21-2012 04:21 PM

Washing bottles

I'm looking for advice on washing. I wash in hot soapy water. No mater how much I rinse the bottles still have that detergent smell. Some even smell rancid. I've changed out with new bottles to no change.

mibarra 12-21-2012 04:33 PM

I use the Palmolive free and clear liquid dish soap

MuntryMomma 12-21-2012 05:16 PM

Re: Washing bottles

I've had trouble with this before as well. Do you have a dishwasher? I've had some success running bottles through the dishwasher a few times (hot wash). I've also soaked my bottles in a sink full of hot soapy water (Ultra Dawn) with white vinegar added to the water. Lastly, I've soaked my bottles in a sink full of hot soapy water with a capful of bleach added to it. Then I've run them through the dishwasher with an extra rinse and the smell was totally gone. I've only had to do that the one time through.

SPJ&E 12-21-2012 05:26 PM

New bottle brush? Maybe wash them in a big bowl (inside the sink)...see if maybe your sink is causing the issue? Vinegar dissolves soap residue, so maybe you could do something with that? Could it be your water or are you just having a problem with bottles?

We use Dawn (usually the dye free kind) and haven't had any problems. We have glass bottles and some plastic ones.

Hungry Caterpillar 12-21-2012 06:25 PM

I use Seventh Generation dish soap because it rinses really clear. I have a dishpan on the side of the sink that in the morning I filled with hot, soapy water, and then as the day went on I rinsed bottles and then tossed it all in there to soak. At the end of the day I washed them all. Never had a rancid bottle or anyone not rinse totally clean.

I also replaced my bottle brush every few weeks and was sure to rinse it properly and flush new soap through it every night, then let it totally dry propped up on the sink.

What bottles are you using?

jaelynsmommy61607 12-21-2012 06:31 PM

I use the classic blue dawn. Do you put the together before they're dry?

dvansmom 12-21-2012 06:54 PM

I use the cheap ones. Walmart and gerber ones. I've tried the dishwasher without luck. I also wait till they are all dry before putting them back together. Tonight I soaked them in oxy clean with a good wash. Seemed to help. Thanks for the suggestions!

dvansmom 12-21-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuntryMomma
I've had trouble with this before as well. Do you have a dishwasher? I've had some success running bottles through the dishwasher a few times (hot wash). I've also soaked my bottles in a sink full of hot soapy water (Ultra Dawn) with white vinegar added to the water. Lastly, I've soaked my bottles in a sink full of hot soapy water with a capful of bleach added to it. Then I've run them through the dishwasher with an extra rinse and the smell was totally gone. I've only had to do that the one time through.

The bleach and vinegar are good suggestions.

dvansmom 12-21-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPJ&E
New bottle brush? Maybe wash them in a big bowl (inside the sink)...see if maybe your sink is causing the issue? Vinegar dissolves soap residue, so maybe you could do something with that? Could it be your water or are you just having a problem with bottles?

We use Dawn (usually the dye free kind) and haven't had any problems. We have glass bottles and some plastic ones.

This! I was just at target. I need to grab a new one.

CASMama711 12-21-2012 07:17 PM

How long do they sit before washing? I found that giving them a quick rinse immediately after feeding helped make it much easier to wash them later.