Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   First veggie/fruit (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474337)

nica8376 12-21-2012 04:48 PM

First veggie/fruit

DS just turned 6 months. I exclusively breast fed for 4 months and since then also give him rice cereal & oatmeal. I don't feed it to him every day. He mostly still gets pure mama's milk. Now that he is 6 months old I am going to introduce a veggie or fruit and read somewhere that avocado was a good first choice. Curious to what everyone else started with.

adamslf 12-21-2012 06:01 PM

Re: First veggie/fruit

Would avocados be considered sweet? My pediatrician suggested that we start with a veggie that isn't particularly sweet, like green beans or spinach, because if you start sweet, they may refuse other foods.

ecomother 12-22-2012 09:00 PM

Mine all started with banana and pear, then sweet potatoes. None of them refused any foods except for green beans with my oldest son and he still hates them at 11 years old, lol! My second child loved avocado, it was his first food, and he looooves green foods and all veggies now, plus he has a huge sweet tooth, haha. You could mix the avocado with some mama milk :)

Celestials 12-23-2012 10:24 AM

My DS first food was avocado. One of his favorite things now at 15 months is a banana mixed with avocado.

madebymommy 12-23-2012 10:57 AM

We started with avocados and DD loved them! The older kids, we started with bananas.

madebymommy 12-23-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamslf (Post 16069327)
Would avocados be considered sweet? My pediatrician suggested that we start with a veggie that isn't particularly sweet, like green beans or spinach, because if you start sweet, they may refuse other foods.

No, they are very creamy and kind of bland tasting. I think that's why babies like them, the flavor doesn't knock their socks off!

Teexie 12-24-2012 01:06 PM

My DD's first fruit was banana.

ClothDiaperingMamaOf1 12-28-2012 09:13 PM

I was told to mix breast milk with avocado as a starter at 6 months old

lovebear 12-29-2012 12:02 AM

I have a 5 month old son and I'm about to introduce him to his first veggie/fruit. My first born's first fruit was mashed banana and her favorite vegetable's broccoli.

sarahhudson 12-30-2012 07:13 AM

Our little guy LOVES banana (at 5 mo), but I think he mostly enjoys the process of making a COMPLETE AND TOTAL MESS out of it. But hey, at this point, that's mostly what it's about anyways, right?! :-)