Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Homebirth Prep. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474389)

twinpossible 12-21-2012 11:29 PM

Homebirth Prep.

My midwife gave me a great list at my last appt. and I am planning to get everything ready over the next 4 weeks since I am off from work for Winter Break. After that I go back to work full time so I want to be ready before that happens. We are planning a water birth, I already have the tub and liner.

I ask for your help because my girlfriend pointed out that she wrapped her mattress in plastic and put the sheets over it which ended up saving her bed. It was such a great idea so I thought some of you would have wisdom to share.

Can you share with me what came in handy for your homebirths? What did you wish you had? Also, what did you end up wearing? (odd question I know but I am rather modest normally and would like to have options to wear. It would not surprise me if I ended up naked in the end but just in case :giggle:) What was most comforting after the birth? Were your older children there and if so were you glad they were there? My twins will be 23 months when this baby comes, right now we are thinking of having someone watch them in our home during the birth.

Andbabymakes2 12-22-2012 03:12 AM

When I had dd2 at home we put the pool on a tarp for splashing and spillover. We had the pool in our bdrm where we could keep the room warm dark and quiet. Plus I could close the door and keep ppl out. There was a bthrm in there too. I only had a sport bra on most of the time but the only ppl in the room was the mw and dh and my mom and BFF. I prepped a bunch of cheap towels in the oven prior to have on hand. I also had all my supplies prepped in bags just sitting on the counter ready for the day. Like footprint ink, baby outfit, scissors. Gl to you ! I enjoyed my hb the most of all mine.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

EmilyA874 12-22-2012 07:56 AM

Re: Homebirth Prep.

I second putting the pool on a tarp! Ours ended up with a leak and the tarp saved our floors! If you don't have some already you should get some bendy straws, they make drinking during labor so much easier, my DH was able to hold the glass for me and just put the straw to my mouth while I was in the pool. Oh and doing a test hook up with the hose to your sink is a good idea so you/DH already have some experience and know what you are doing when you go to set up the pool. I'll try to think of more too :)
Oh and I wore a shirt and skirt at home for the early part of labor, once active labor hit the skirt was gone, it just made me agitated having it on. I kept the shirt on until I got in the pool, and then was naked from there. I'm modest too and never would have thought I'd end up naked but I didn't care at all and it was what was most comfortable at the time.
My homebirth was an amazing experience and i would do it again in a heart beat, good luck!

EmilyA874 12-22-2012 07:56 AM

I second putting the pool on a tarp! Ours ended up with a leak and the tarp saved our floors! If you don't have some already you should get some bendy straws, they make drinking during labor so much easier, my DH was able to hold the glass for me and just put the straw to my mouth while I was in the pool. Oh and doing a test hook up with the hose to your sink is a good idea so you/DH already have some experience and know what you are doing when you go to set up the pool. I'll try to think of more too :)
Oh and I wore a shirt and skirt at home for the early part of labor, once active labor hit the skirt was gone, it just made me agitated having it on. I kept the shirt on until I got in the pool, and then was naked from there. I'm modest too and never would have thought I'd end up naked but I didn't care at all and it was what was most comfortable at the time.
My homebirth was an amazing experience and i would do it again in a heart beat, good luck!

Scaethach 12-22-2012 12:50 PM

My son was "at" ours but slept through the whole thing. For us the things we didn't think of and wish we had - an area set up for the midwives set up by my bed. No chairs in the bedroom or anything so when I needed a couple stitches we had to drag them from across the house. Clearing off a nightstand for them to set equipment on would've been handy too. Also, we had carpet, and got some yuck on it, they asked for hydrogen peroxide to get the stains out right away, DH had to dig that up but it worked beautifully.

My midwives suggest a "birth blanket" - like a giant diaper essentially that can be moved with you to keep things contained, then rolled up and thrown out after. Take a blanket, sew some vinyl to the back, roll the edges. It was a pain to put together when I was huge but I was SO thankful for it. When I was standing laboring over it, everything got caught, then they moved it to the bed while I delivered the placenta and did my stitches (DD nursed through this), then I got up and showered and the MW helped me put on clean clothes and a pad and they got rid of the blanket. We were clean and cozy.

I did still line my bed about a month before my EDD in case my water broke in bed again, and kept it that way until about 6 weeks postpartum when bleeding slowed down. Keeping spare sheets nearby is a good idea also just in case, and it's hard to have too many towels.

Also - something for them to put the placenta in, whether long or short term. We planted ours with a tree so DH had to also scramble for something to keep it in overnight until he could plant it. Just not something we thought the entire way through :)

twinpossible 12-22-2012 04:08 PM

Thanks ladies! Adding all the suggestions to my list :)
We are planning to put the tub in our bedroom since I like to climb in bed when I am not feeling well. We have an on suite bathroom so that will work out well for the tub filling or if I want a shower after. I have a skinny side table I can leave empty for the midwife. As for the placenta, I am having a gal come encapsulate it so we have a couple one gallon bags to store it for short term until she arrives.

Where did you all buy plastic to cover the bed or the tarp for the floor? Home Depot? Also, did anyone hook up their birth tub to the water in a bathroom and if so what did you use?

jaelynsmommy61607 12-22-2012 04:29 PM

I got my tarp at home depot. I got a vinyl liber for my bed at Walmart. I put that on then my good sheets. Over top if them I put a vinyl shower curtain liners. Then a old fitted sheet. Took the comforter off my bed. I bleed a lot. So much I passed out. Twice. My midwife was awesome making sure it didn't stain anything. They ended up using my good towels as well due to the bleeding. When it was over they put all the dirty stuff in garbage bags. Including the old fitted sheet. Under it I had a premade clean bed. When I washed the stuff I rinsed in cold first. Then washed hot in tide. Nothing stained! I still have the vinyl fitted sheet on my bed to protect the mattress from spit up, leaky diapers and such.

To fill the pool I got an adapter at home depot. It hooked upto the shower head(well you have to have the head off) and then to the hose. So it came directly from there. To empty it Dh used a 5 gallon bucket and dumped it in the bath tub. It wad actually pretty fast.

Straws were apart of my birth kit. I can't think of anything I wish I would have had. I wore a black nylon sports bra in the tub. I kept it in when I got out. It dried quickly. Baby was born on land. I took it off waiting for the placenta to be born. I guess I do wish I could have thought about putting on a shirt. But I was so messy from blood and being pooped on.

NappyChappy 12-23-2012 07:29 AM

I wanted extra perineal cold packs which I have requested in my birth kit. Having our tripod for the video camera ready was a huge plus. I am sure there is more and I will add.

jackobeano 12-23-2012 11:58 AM

We did the same as a previous mama by putting a liner than sheets another liner and than old sheets so you can just strip it once soiled and still have a made up bed. We just used shower curtain liners from the dollar store. I also used one of these to cover the birth tub to keep the water warm the one time I got out of it.

Also our midwife this time recommended getting a charcoal fish tank thing (forget what they are called exactly) for the birth tub to help get the chlorine and chemicals from the birth tub plastic out of the water.

Not sure what else but I'm going to be making up our list this week and will update with anything I forgot.

jaelynsmommy61607 12-23-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackobeano (Post 16073156)
We did the same as a previous mama by putting a liner than sheets another liner and than old sheets so you can just strip it once soiled and still have a made up bed. We just used shower curtain liners from the dollar store. I also used one of these to cover the birth tub to keep the water warm the one time I got out of it.

Also our midwife this time recommended getting a charcoal fish tank thing (forget what they are called exactly) for the birth tub to help get the chlorine and chemicals from the birth tub plastic out of the water.

Not sure what else but I'm going to be making up our list this week and will update with anything I forgot.

The water smelled very strong of chlorine for me.