Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Question about hospital stay (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474410)

katymf 12-22-2012 05:55 AM

Question about hospital stay

When I had DS about a year and a half ago he was in the NICU for a good 4 days. They never asked me if there was an outfit he could wear or a blanket that we brought him. they just kept him in this ugly, white tshirt and swaddlded him in the hospital blankets. at the time, i didn't think anything of it i was in too much pain and didn't realize it at the time that we could have brought in clothes and blankets for him (1st time parents, yup!) so now i am thinking that when we go to the hospital for our 2nd in about 6 weeks obviously we will bring her clothes and comfy blankets but do I tell the nurses that we want to dress her or would they assume? (granted she has no NICU stay, and even if she does, does she have to stay in the hospital clothes?) just curious as to what other mamas do in that situation. Thanks!

Tina5834 12-22-2012 06:03 AM

We just put clothes on the baby when we want to. No need to explain to the nurse.

kaia.aline 12-22-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette
We just put clothes on the baby when we want to. No need to explain to the nurse.

Us too.

Our dd never left us even to go to the nursery but I doubt the nurses would have dressed her in our clothes if she was in there.

abunchoflemons 12-22-2012 06:14 AM

Re: Question about hospital stay

No nicu here but ours say change dipes or clothes if u want like 2 yrs ago by time we have 3rd....so take home & maybe another but less laundry 4 me to do less I take. I only stay 2 days after admitted assuming baby came in 24 hrs after I get there. U can take blankets & stuff to nicu. Mommy hearts & things so baby gets to know u... expressed milk too.....

Pixi6s 12-22-2012 06:14 AM

honestly my son stayed swaddled in the hospital blanket until we go ready to leave. We were only there 23 hours after his birth though. If he wasn't in the blanket he was skin to skin with me under my blankets.

Let your nurses know that if possible you want to use your blanket and clothes.

When we were visiting my SIL after my nephew was born, they wanted him to have another layer on under his blanket and asked if they had an outfit for him. Then proceeded to dress him rather sharply. It's actually a memory that has stayed with me. Of parents letting the nurses control, letting him take the child afterward to some test or another. I found it sad. I think they were beat down though. Tough birth, then jaundice. They even made the parents leave and kept him overnight (I couldn't image). They fed him formula against their wishes. And after all of that I still think the recommend the hospital to their friends. Their experience sicken's me.

My son when they wanted to wrap him in a second blanket I said/asked that I would like to do skin to skin instead. They said ok. We never let him out of our sight. Once he had to be behind the glass for one test, my husband stood outside and watched. It wasn't easy getting discharged only after 23 hours but after several hours (all morning -- we left at 11am) of hassle we managed to get out of there.

katymf 12-22-2012 06:25 AM

Well we were all in the hospital for a total of 6 days, luckily they had an extra room for us to stay in so we never left the hospital and DS Was only right down the hallway..there are just too many cute clothes we have for DS so I'm starting to think about what outfits to bring for her! I guess since she IS my daughter we shouldn't have to ask If we can dress her, it's not really any one else's choice besides ours unless of course there was god forbid a medical reason why we couldn't be with her or dress her in her own clothes.

Nerissa 12-22-2012 06:31 AM

idk about the NICU. but with dd we used the hospital blankets and when I asked about a little shirt they brought a couple shirts and a cute sleeper formher to use.

If you want the baby is something special bring it.

The hospital I have delivered at all three times is amazing. great nurses, never pushy or demanding. Always did what I wanted.

MDever 12-22-2012 06:39 AM

If the baby is staying in your room or just visiting the nursery for you to rest then you are free to dress the baby in whatever you like. In most NICU settings I am aware of they let you dress the baby in "street clothes" after they have moved to step down care. This is simply because the baby must be weighed frequently, require exams, and likely have various lines(O2, heart, pulse ox) and regular clothes interfer and make those tasks more difficult.

katymf 12-22-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever
If the baby is staying in your room or just visiting the nursery for you to rest then you are free to dress the baby in whatever you like. In most NICU settings I am aware of they let you dress the baby in "street clothes" after they have moved to step down care. This is simply because the baby must be weighed frequently, require exams, and likely have various lines(O2, heart, pulse ox) and regular clothes interfer and make those tasks more difficult.

Yes that makes sense about the wires, he was hooked up to many and the shirt that they had for him had buttons in the front most likely for that reason-easy access to his chest. Makes sense !! I didn't even ask them if we could dress him, I was recovering from a c/s and in too much pain and quite honestly didn't even care or think about his clothes. Also my sister and mom did bring clothes for him the last day to change into but he was soo big that he didn't even fit into the cute newborn clothes so they went back out and bought him a little onesie size 3mo!

MDever 12-22-2012 06:59 AM

Yup, DS1 was an August baby and I had the CUTEST coming home outfit for him that was 0-3. Only he weighed 11lbs! I did manage to squeeze him in one time for a pic but it was so tight:chuckle: