Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In June (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   vaccines at 14 weeks 4 days Anybody? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474506)

tinytushi 12-22-2012 06:38 PM

vaccines at 14 weeks 4 days Anybody?

At my appointment a couple of days ago I received my flu vaccine. I was 14 weeks 4 days. I was kind of on the fence about it, but my cousin lost her baby last year because she developed the flu while pg and went into preterm labor. I decided to go ahead and get the flu vaccine. When I was checking out the nurse came running out and asked me to come back to the room. The Dr. came in and said they thought the woman I sat beside in the waiting room had whooping cough and he insisted I get vaccinated with TDAP immediately for both me and baby safety. The last TDAP I had was 7 years ago. After going home and researching I discovered that the recommended time for TDAP is AT LEAST 20 weeks, but most not until third trimester or after birth. Do you think this was safe? Anyone else get TDAP this early? I am worried not only about the effects of the vaccine but also that I won't develop antibodies fast enough after exposure to whooping cough. Or would I still have antibodies from the shot I had 7 years ago? Anyone care to offer their opinion?

marliah 12-22-2012 06:59 PM

Re: vaccines at 14 weeks 4 days Anybody?

I'd be concerned. I have one child who is severely autistic (11years od ans nonverbal) and I was forced (told get it or find another provider) to have the flu vaccine while pregnant with him. His worst symptoms didn't appear til his 1 year series (same time my older sons happened, my older son is 13 and mild autistic) I have 3 other children, none vaxxed, none autistic. So vaccines certainly are to blame here. Please research before doing anymore.

mekat 12-22-2012 07:18 PM

I looked every where on the internet to try to give you non-alarmist and factual information. Here was the best I could find. Pay attention to the last reply by a pharmacist.

If in your shoes I would just call the ob and ask your questions. You may have to leave a message with the nurse but they should get back to you. It basically comes down to who do you trust. I will leave it at that since I don't want to turn this post into a vaccine debate.

Phaedramekko 12-22-2012 07:41 PM

Just last Friday I was at my prenatal appointment and they wanted to give me both the flu and the TDAP vaccine. I had the TDAP vaccine 2.5 years ago but they still wanted to give it to me. I said no to both vaccinations. I will be 16 weeks along tomorrow so not much further at the time of my appointment than you. I would hope that is fine....sorry I am not of much help. You should call and ask any question that you have. Good luck!

txmommytobe 12-22-2012 08:43 PM

I got the flu vaccine at about 13 weeks after weighing the pros and cons. This I think is fine. However I would be concerned about DTAP this early my OB specifically said that I could not have it until 20 weeks. Plus if it is like most vaccines it takes some time for it to be effective :( I would call and talk to the nurse on call about your concerns

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

bluecandi 12-29-2012 06:22 PM

I cant believe they gave it to you!! Especially with you having had is 7 years ago!! It says in the VIS that it is contraindicated for pregnant women. Besides, its too late now....youve already been exposed. It takes minimum two weeks to develop immunity but the incubation period is usually between 4 and 10 days. But if you do get pertussis, you can safely receive immune globulin for it.

They have only just recently (like within the last year) have started saying TDAP is ok for preggos. To me, that is not long enough to say whether its truly safe or not. It might be.....but I would feel like a guinea pig while the CDC is getting its **** together.

HUGS mama!!!

tinytushi 12-29-2012 08:28 PM

Well I have talked with the OB several times and he continues to assure me that they now recommend TDAP as soon as you enter second trimester because whooping cough is becoming an epidemic. I asked what proof they had it was safe and he said because it has been used for years, even in the first trimester for women who are injured during pg and need a tetanus shot. This has not settled my fears. I guess all I can do is pray.

I also found during my research that the vaccine is not really helping eliminate whooping cough, that it seems to have an immunity to the vaccine. Now I am really upset thinking that I was subjected to this vaccine during pg for no reason at all. Oh what I would not give for a midwife in my area. Seriously thinking about having unassisted home birth.

poohbear1208 01-13-2013 09:42 AM

You should still have some immunity from your shot 7 years ago, so that will hopefully protect you from the woman sitting next to you. The only reason they recommend the vaccine early in the 3rd tri vs other trimesters is because then your baby will have more immunity right before birth. Baby will still get some immunity from you having the shot now, but maybe not as much as if you had waited until around 28 weeks. IMO, the shots are safe. I have always gotten flu vaccines while pregnant, on baby #5 now, and none of my kids suffered any ill effects. I don't believe vaccines themselves cause autism- I believe certain people's genetic make-ups make them more susceptible to the preservatives, etc in the shots. More than likely, you will be just fine