Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Anybody make their own formula? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474885)

fii 12-24-2012 10:10 PM

Anybody make their own formula?
 
So I was on here the other day...:
(Oops! I don't have enough posts to give you the link, but if you google 'make your own formula', the site I was looking at is the 1st result 'westonaprice' )

...And started playing with the idea of making my own formula. Does anyone here make their own?

Or, does anybody have some feedback for me? Does this sound like a bad idea or do you think it would be healthier for my baby?
I would especially love to hear input from an older/ more experienced mom or nurse.

luvsviola 12-24-2012 10:12 PM

I would definitely run your recipe by your ped. I would be reluctant to do so because it is the sole source of nutrition and a good deal of research goes into the development of commercial products. But more power to you if you find a good recipe your ped is ok with.

keen1981 12-24-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola
I would definitely run your recipe by your ped. I would be reluctant to do so because it is the sole source of nutrition and a good deal of research goes into the development of commercial products. But more power to you if you find a good recipe your ped is ok with.

Completely agree.

raymark 12-24-2012 10:36 PM

Re: Anybody make their own formula?
 
I think that is a very bad idea.

my2sweets 12-25-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16077020)
I would definitely run your recipe by your ped. I would be reluctant to do so because it is the sole source of nutrition and a good deal of research goes into the development of commercial products.

Agreed!

JustSomeChickVee 12-25-2012 10:41 AM

Re: Anybody make their own formula?
 
i did it and my son is one of the healthiest kids i know. i lost my supply at 4 months after BFing. He is almost 1 and has never been sick. I did organic commercial formula then switched to the WAPF ingredients. I compared the ingredient list to the formula i was using which was Parents Choice Organic. The ingredients were very similar and the nutritional values were nearly identical. The difference was that all the ingredients were actually organic and better quality. and the formula was fresh.

Homemade formula is not just a few ingredients. it's a lot of ingredients, and similar ingredients to what you'll find in an organic commercial formula (milk, oils, lactose, whey, etc) plus ingredients that aren't in any organic formulas that I could find, like probiotics. IMO, homemade formula following the WAPF recipe is superior to commercial formula.

Green Decals 12-30-2012 06:53 PM

Re: Anybody make their own formula?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee (Post 16077462)
i did it and my son is one of the healthiest kids i know. i lost my supply at 4 months after BFing. He is almost 1 and has never been sick. I did organic commercial formula then switched to the WAPF ingredients. I compared the ingredient list to the formula i was using which was Parents Choice Organic. The ingredients were very similar and the nutritional values were nearly identical. The difference was that all the ingredients were actually organic and better quality. and the formula was fresh.

Homemade formula is not just a few ingredients. it's a lot of ingredients, and similar ingredients to what you'll find in an organic commercial formula (milk, oils, lactose, whey, etc) plus ingredients that aren't in any organic formulas that I could find, like probiotics. IMO, homemade formula following the WAPF recipe is superior to commercial formula.

100% AGREED. Plus homemade formula using the WAPF recipe is real, nourishing food. It shocks me that GMO corn syrup and sugar are the main ingredients in some commercial formulas. :yuck:

crazyeyesmcgee 12-30-2012 07:40 PM

I would definitely use the WAPF formula recipe before using a commercial formula. :2cents:

smagewick 01-23-2013 04:40 PM

Re: Anybody make their own formula?
 
I would also use the WAPF formula if needed with my little ones.

mmeneely 01-23-2013 05:52 PM

Re: Anybody make their own formula?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Decals (Post 16095072)
100% AGREED. Plus homemade formula using the WAPF recipe is real, nourishing food. It shocks me that GMO corn syrup and sugar are the main ingredients in some commercial formulas. :yuck:

I love you mothers that actually read up on nutrition. A paediatrician is really useful in nutrition. These are the same folks who tell you to use Aveeno and paraben-laden soaps and creams on your babies. Good for you for taking control:thumbsup2:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors