Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   talk to me about going from 1 kid to 2 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474954)

pine_apple_goat 12-25-2012 06:17 PM

talk to me about going from 1 kid to 2

So, I recently found out I'm pregnant and I'm freaking out.

Going from zero to one kid is a piece of cake. But from 1 to 2... I don't know what to do. How did you do it? How did the older sibling take it? How old were they when they became and older sibling? I would love any advice. Thanks!

my2sweets 12-25-2012 06:29 PM

For me 0 to 1 was tough! 1-2 was a cake walk. Dd1 was almost 2.5 when dd2 came. I was already use to the sleepless nights and need for attention a newborn/infant required. I knew what to expect. One thing that really helped dd1 I think was that dd2 wasnt my baby or the baby she was OUR baby. Dd1 was 'needed' to hand me a burp cloth or diaper, give kisses to help dd2 grow strong, sing her songs, 'read' her books ect She took to it like a duck to water :goodvibes: Ds joined our family 11 days ago and now at 7 and 5.5 both girls are needed. They have a few different jobs this go round but knowing I appreciate their help makes them feel good.

Congrats mama. Dd will adjust-might take time, but she will :hugs:

jennak 12-25-2012 06:29 PM

Re: talk to me about going from 1 kid to 2

WAY easier than going from 0 to 1 for us!!! DD1 was 3yrs, 3 mos when DD2 came along. We talked to her about the baby quite a bit, and she had a baby cousin that I took care of quite often so she knew a bit of what to expect. She was amazing, I still can't believe how well she adjusted. I think a lot of it depends on the personality of the older child, and neediness of the new baby.

abunchoflemons 12-25-2012 06:34 PM

Oldest was 6 & will be 8 for the 3rd. 2 was easy since age gap.but 2 to 3 is one I'm weary on. 2nd will be about 21 month when baby comes..... aaawwww.... 2 kids each parent can take one each but 3 to 1 qat nights for me is uneasy......

Ashsmama 12-25-2012 06:48 PM

Having just 1 was super easy! My daughter was so easy going as a baby! She was 17 months when my DS was born. She loved him but when she was ready for her naps or bedtime she wanted me to hold her but I couldn't because I was holding the baby. So, that was an adjustment for her...now the main problem is having two toddlers running around and taking toys from each other!!

Ashsmama 12-25-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pine_apple_goat
So, I recently found out I'm pregnant and I'm freaking out.

Going from zero to one kid is a piece of cake. But from 1 to 2... I don't know what to do. How did you do it? How did the older sibling take it? How old were they when they became and older sibling? I would love any advice. Thanks!

Also, what helped me a lot was having them take naps at the same time so I could rest or get things done . And when the baby took a nap by himself I made sure to spend time with my DD. When I had to cook lunch I would have my daughter 'take care ' of 'baby brother '. She would sit next to him while he was on the floor or in the swing and give him his pacifier when it would fall out of his mouth.

Teddyandnick 12-25-2012 07:10 PM

Going from 1 to 2 was so much easier than from 0 to 1. DS1 was an extremely high needs baby. He had serious problems nursing and I ended up EPing. He had acid reflux and threw up a ton and screamed all the time. He also hated sleeping. He would stay up for hours and hours at night and refuse to nap during the day from when we was very young. DS1 was almost 22 months when DS2 was born. He loves his younger brother and loved "helping." The hardest part was getting him to settle down and be careful when I had my hands full with the baby. DS2 was an easy baby who loved being worn so I would wear him almost all day and do stuff with DS1 like the zoo, nature walks, playing outside, going to the park. I did have a little trouble wish his excess energy. He had gone to daycare before with 4 other boys around his age and they would wrestle and play all day and he was used to being active nonstop and when I had to nurse DS2 he would get rambunctious. I would read him a book or do an educational app on my phone with him. It is an adjustment, but most kids seem to do just fine with it. My boys are inseparable now and love playing together.

luvsviola 12-25-2012 08:19 PM

Get a superyard. It saved my sanity when we went from 2-3 kiddos. I wish I had bought it sooner. It allows baby to have tummy time without being mowed over by older siblings, and gives you a safe place to put baby when you have to pee that the bigger child can't touch. Even at 21 months old, we still use it daily.

A good baby carrier is a must. My favorite for the newborn stage is the Beco Gemini, though many on here like Moby or Maya wraps.

Older kiddo will learn to wait some. Baby will probably have to cry/wait a little more than older kiddo did. But while it seems like forever when you are going through the newborn stage, it really does go quickly and you will find your new routine/normal. :)

Good luck mama! 10 years from now, you will look back and laugh that you were freaking out now.

CASMama711 12-25-2012 08:40 PM

Definitely get a good baby carrier if you don't already have one. Don't let yourself worry too much. I went from 1 to 3 all at once and we all survived it. ;)

mibarra 12-25-2012 08:42 PM

DD1 was 21 months, hearing impaired and therefore language delayed when DD2 was born. My mom came over everyday to do lunch and put DD1 down for a nap while I dealt with DD2. DH took over all night waking for DD1 while I nursed DD2. I had a baby carrier. DD1 did really well with DD2 besides some expected jealousy, but she's always been more of a Daddy's girl. They adore each other and do remarkably well together.

Is it hard? Yes. But you'll figure it out! ;)