Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Preventing colds at daycare ?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475029)

amb2j 12-26-2012 08:07 AM

Preventing colds at daycare ??

Hello
So, my DS is a little over 2 years old. When he was 6 months old, he was diagnosed with RSV, and as a result, he still struggles with reactive airway at this point when he gets a respiratory virus (i.e., a cold). Therefore, Im always looking for ways to prevent colds or increase his immunity so that when he DOES inevitably get a cold, its not debilitating (which it can be for RSV exposed babies).

Seeing as how he is in daycare, he gets colds frequently due to exposure to so many LOs. The daycare staff is pretty good about hand hygiene and general cleaning procedures. DS is taking a daily probiotic, and this winter, we have started him on pediatric doses of Airborne (ped recommended) at the first signs of a cold. Despite this regimen, this has been a tough winter for him and he has gotten a LOT of colds (and had subsequent respiratory issues). Any recommendations for ways to further prevent colds/increase his immunity?? TIA mamas.

Riverleaf1772 12-26-2012 02:50 PM

Re: Preventing colds at daycare ??

My doctor recommends Vitamin D in addition to a multivitamin.

MrsCrafty 01-09-2013 09:32 AM

It sounds like your doing everything you can. :hugs: Hope he makes it through cold season without too many colds!

mibarra 01-09-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverleaf1772 (Post 16080384)
My doctor recommends Vitamin D in addition to a multivitamin.

Mine too. Especially in winter.

slimy72 01-09-2013 11:16 AM

When my DS was about 2ish he was having similar problems. We had him into the ENT and he recomended a sinus wash. It's worked wonders for keeping him cleared out and not getting sick. We had a hard time getting him to do it at first, but now he'll come to us and say someone was sick at school today I need to rinse out my sinuses.

elioraimmanuel 01-09-2013 11:35 AM

I second the sinus wash, but what Probiotics are you using. If you're buying store brand or a non-refrigerated one, it's probably useless.

Hands Down the best I've found is Megafood.com Kid's N' Megaflora. You can open the capsule and put it in food. It has a wide range of probiotics...the best.

I also suggest Elderberry syrup and Vitamin C crystals or Chewables (I like Trader Joes...no artificial sweeteners.) I'd give 1,000 mg/daily when not sick and do up to 4,000 mg/day when sick. The crystals are sour, but a tiny bit goes a longggg way!

katengrace 01-09-2013 12:12 PM

Black elderberry syrup, omega-3/ DHA and mega doses of vitamin C if he starts sniffling.

amb2j 01-11-2013 02:40 PM

We are doing the high quality refrigerated probiotics and since we have added airborne when sick, have seen a HUGE difference. Also, we have been using barley green daily and that's worked wonders keeping him well. I love all the suggestions!

Also, might sound stupid, but what exactly is a sinus wash? I mean, I flush him out with a nasal saline spray and bulb syringe daily... Is this different?? Is this the neti pot thing?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

abunchoflemons 01-11-2013 02:50 PM

Neti pot yes for sinus although I. Have to use med siringe......saline3 rinse. I have some.

LillyLee 01-18-2013 11:43 AM

Another vote for elderberry syrup