Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Update! It wasn't chapped lips! Cold sores!!!! SEVERELY chapped lips. What to do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475036)

Michelle_M 12-26-2012 09:35 AM

Update! It wasn't chapped lips! Cold sores!!!! SEVERELY chapped lips. What to do?

Update:
Well.. the lips seemed to be getting better but not totally clearing up. Then the boys started geting "bug bites" on their faces. We checked their room and couldn't figure out where they were coming from.

Our speech therapist saw the "bites" and "chapped lips" and said it looked like one of those cold sore/fever blister things. It had never occurred to me because I don't remember ever having one, and if I did, it was just one spot. But once he mentioned that, I realized that before the sores got to that point, they DID resemble an outbreak my husband gets once or twice a year.

So we took the kids to the pediatrician and sure enouogh, she walked into the room and said "So, are you here for those fever blisters?" DH said "If that's what they are, then yeah. We're here to figure out what is going on."

She said "Yep, classic cold sores with kids who can't stop touching their faces." So she gave us a med to help clear up the infection faster. And it turns out that my 5 yr old also has an ear infection.

So.. mystery solved, treatments started on Monday.. out break almost cleared up. We did stay home from church again though. My 5 yr old just can't stop touching his face and I would feel so absolutely terrible if he passed it to another kid.

So.. there it is... if your kids lips are severely chapped and aren't healing and the scabs are black and just won't heal up... think outside of the box, especially if there are other spots on their faces.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help. But we WILL continue to use Lanolin for chapped lips.. as it actually was helping in a way, because he wasn't picking at the scabs once we started putting lanolin on them.. which I think is what helped stop the sores from spreading.. he wasn't picking open the scabs, so the infection wasn't spreading.

Thanks again everyone!

God bless!

DS is 7. His lips are so ridiculously chapped. He made it worse by picking at them. Now they are swollen and scabby, and of course the scabs are cracking open and bleeding.

We're making him drink tons of water, and we're putting chapstick on him several times a day. They don't seem to be getting better.

What else can I do? Do I really need to have a trip to the pediatrician's office over a case of chapped lips?

Thanks
God bless!

mcpforever 12-26-2012 09:40 AM

Re: SEVERELY chapped lips. What to do?

How long has he been like this?

NotLad 12-26-2012 09:42 AM

Chapstick isn't going to cut it. You need A barrier, like Vaseline. If you want a natural alternative, use this https://www.honest.com/bath-and-body...t-healing-balm

keen1981 12-26-2012 09:43 AM

Vasalibe at night should help it a lot. But healing is only possible if DS stops the behavior

Michelle_M 12-26-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 16079200)
How long has he been like this?

He's always had a problem with his lips chapping easily. We noticed a small black scab three days ago. The next morning his lips were cracked and bleeding. By that night the scabs were worse and the swelling was fairly bad.

He just got up and he had blood all over his chin. When I cleaned him up I discovered that the scabs had come off. They are less chapped and had one small bloody spot, so they look better. But they are still swollen. His bottom lip has been worse than the top.

God bless!

Michelle_M 12-26-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotLad (Post 16079208)
Chapstick isn't going to cut it. You need A barrier, like Vaseline. If you want a natural alternative, use this https://www.honest.com/bath-and-body...t-healing-balm

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16079215)
Vasalibe at night should help it a lot. But healing is only possible if DS stops the behavior

How will Vaseline help? I don't think I have any. I'll have to get some.

How will putting Vaseline on it be any different than chapstick?

And yeah, I know we need to get him to stop picking at them. We tell him to stop every time we see him picking at them.

Not sure how to change his behavior though. I wonder if the fact that they hurt so bad will be enough of a deterrent?

God bless!

NotLad 12-26-2012 09:49 AM

Vaseline is a barrier. It will protect his lips from the licking and allow the skin to heal.

l_Kimmie_l 12-26-2012 09:51 AM

Carminex works better when they are that bad. DS2 who is 4 with PDD had it that bad and the Carminex cleared it is a couple days with frequent use.

mcpforever 12-26-2012 09:52 AM

DS2 (4.5) is a compulsive lip picker. If he can find the tiniest bit of skin to pick at, he'll do it. Keeping something in his little hands all the time helps a lot. We also use lip balm constantly. Every time we get in the car I hand him some. He gets some after breakfast. He gets some on the way to school. He gets some after school. He gets some before TKD. And at bedtime we put extra on. He picks less when there is less to pick at. We really have to stay on top of it.

If you think it's more than just chapped lips, do take him in. I remember Stephanie (VinThi) posting about her son dealing with chapped lips and they turned out to be infected with something.

Something thick and waterproof is really helpful. My dad has this stuff made with beeswax that is awesome.

ETA: Here's the link to Stephanie's thread.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...hlight=chapped

keen1981 12-26-2012 09:55 AM

It soaks into the dead skin, making it kinda rub off, without bleeding/cracking and it creates a barrier from the air so it stops the lips from getting crusty. We use it a lot for bad lips!!! I use Chapstick on the go- but really only for the sunscreen effects. Vaseline at home!! /)