Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is this typical "terrible two" behavior?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475049)

breefawn 12-26-2012 10:05 AM

Is this typical "terrible two" behavior?!

OHDEARLORD. My munchkin just spit on a FREE cookie from the bakery. IN FRONT OF THE BAKER. She was super nice, and I told DS that it was so sad that he didn't want his cookie since she worked so hard baking it. I also said that I need to think about how to deal with this, but mommy's very upset right now, so do not worry, we'll figure it out when we get home. Now I don't know what to do :banghead: We follow L&L...when we got home, I threw it out, and he had to put back his special snacks while we were at the store. Is that enough?

When I say he spit, I'm talking full on loogie :blush: I have NO idea where he learned that!! I feel like a parenting failure :cry:

Be nice please, mamas. I'm having a rough day. Advice is appreciated! DS is almost 2.5.

joeslittlewoman 12-26-2012 10:11 AM

I think the loss of the cookie and other treats was appropriate. I probably wouldn't go for a cookie next time you are at the store either. If he asks, remind him that he spit on the cookie last time, and that is why he won't be getting one this time.

UVASahm 12-26-2012 10:19 AM

I think you handled it great momma! One time my sister said, in a restaurant that the food tasted like dog s***. I was older so I thought it was hilarious!! My mom on the other hand did not and my sister never went to chuckie cheese again. She still remembers that to this day. Just keep on giving out punishments that are meaningful and your little person will be just fine.

breefawn 12-26-2012 10:26 AM

Thanks, mamas. :wub:

MDever 12-26-2012 10:29 AM

Re: Is this typical "terrible two" behavior?!

Oh my! I too would have been very upset. I am on my 5th 2yo and (knock on wood) none of them have done anything like that. I think the consequences were very appropriate. Is he new 2 or closer to 3yo?

breefawn 12-26-2012 11:26 AM

He's 29 months. We're not allowing any goodies today, and he's been a big help since we got home.

joeslittlewoman 12-26-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breefawn
He's 29 months. We're not allowing any goodies today, and he's been a big help since we got home.

I think that is perfect. And though I haven't had that exact scenario, I think it is in the realm of normal for a 2yo boy. Glad he is behaving better now!!

firstlynn 12-26-2012 01:53 PM

i think you handled it well. DS2 did something similar about six months ago at the grocery store, so the next time we went, DS1 got a cookie and he didn't! Although my tender hearted DS1 eventually shared a small piece of his with DS2...(voluntarily, and I didn't have the heart to take that away).

breefawn 12-26-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman (Post 16080034)
I think that is perfect. And though I haven't had that exact scenario, I think it is in the realm of normal for a 2yo boy. Glad he is behaving better now!!

Well...he was. And now he's pushing boundaries again. :banghead: Oh, well. It's just one day, and we'll get through it :) Lots of hugs seem to help! :goodvibes:

joeslittlewoman 12-26-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breefawn

Well...he was. And now he's pushing boundaries again. :banghead: Oh, well. It's just one day, and we'll get through it :) Lots of hugs seem to help! :goodvibes:

It's a rough phase ((hugs)). There now with my 2.5yo, who was such an easy going infant. Took me completely by surprise that his twos are harder than his big brother's twos. DS1 was such a demanding, needy infant, but his twos were cake.