Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Use Questions - Ask the Pros (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Breastfeeding ads? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475065)

kaydove 12-26-2012 10:57 AM

Breastfeeding ads?

Why aren't there ads for breastfeeding supplies? I see that there are ads for formula.

qsefthuko 12-26-2012 11:14 AM

Re: Breastfeeding ads?

My guess. There is more profit in the repeated purchase of formula than in the one time purchase of pumps.

Honestly for most women I don't think breast-feeding supplies are needed. Even at a size F I manage without a nursing bra(mostly because I can't try any on in person), only needed pads the first couple of months, and haven't pumped since we left the hospital when baby had his tongue tie clipped. I don't know what other supplies would be considered breastfeeding supplies.

Earthy Emmy 12-26-2012 11:24 AM

Breastmilk is free and there just isn't as much money to be made. That's why we all have to support each other. Word of mouth is the best kind of advertising!

abunchoflemons 12-26-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16079657)
My guess. There is more profit in the repeated purchase of formula than in the one time purchase of pumps.

Honestly for most women I don't think breast-feeding supplies are needed. Even at a size F I manage without a nursing bra(mostly because I can't try any on in person), only needed pads the first couple of months, and haven't pumped since we left the hospital when baby had his tongue tie clipped. I don't know what other supplies would be considered breastfeeding supplies.

Milk bags & like I could see being considered supplies.... I think lots will just ask if really interested in continued bfing. I only see pump needed if going back to work or u want to store for teething. Otherwise sahm like I read in another of ur posts I don't think is really needed. Maybe little if u know u have an event u absolutely can't take baby to & u need to leave baby with another... unless u by chance leave with bfing mom....pumps are also supposed to be single user.....formula u can pass on til expire......

kaydove 12-26-2012 12:18 PM

Yep, milk bags, pumps, breastfeeding friendly bottles, nursing pads, nursing bras and tanks, nipple ointment and creams, nursing pillows, nursing clothes, supply supplements and vitamins, etc. Plenty of items to be advertised!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

~happy2Bamommy~ 12-30-2012 12:34 PM

If you know of a company that sells items for BF'ing, and they would want to pay for an ad, they are welcome to contact the site :goodvibes:

kirst 12-30-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthy Emmy (Post 16079692)
Breastmilk is free and there just isn't as much money to be made.

As long as your child will latch. My son would not and I spent a ton of money on the dual electric pump, hands free pumping bra, adapter for my car, glass bottles for the freezer, steam sterilizer for glass bottles (because I really didn't want him drinking milk stored in those plastic bags!), replacement tubing for pump so I'd have an extra set clean, etc.

When I finally gave up exclusively pumping months later and switched to formula, I figured out that per month it was the same or cheaper to use formula, even with my son needing the hypoallergenic formula that is more expensive. I'm still glad I pumped for him for the antibodies and probiotics, for the time I did....but it would have been cheaper to use formula from the start, for sure. Of course, it's not about the money, it's about your child's health but when you are a new mum on mat leave with reduced income and you were budgetting for "free" breastmilk, you realize pretty quickly that Medela and those other companies make a ton of money off of what is really a very simple pump-type system + all the "accessories" you need for comfort, sterilization, and efficiency.

God, I wish I could have just whipped out a boob!

bigmamakelsey 12-30-2012 04:01 PM

There is just more "push" advertising from formula companies. Same thing with sposie ads, they're all over this site..and everywhere else.

When I went into a docs office for my 20 week ultrasound in my last pregnancy, I saw a gift kit sold there with formula and bottles and it read "The perfect gift for a breastfeeding mother." Uhmm...:jawdrop: Their marketing is insane.

kaydove 12-30-2012 05:16 PM

Better access to properly educated lactation consultants! OBs and pediatricians being educated in basic breastfeeding! Mamas need more support.

jaelynsmommy61607 12-30-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16079657)

What do you use for a bra