Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   freezer meals 101-IDEAS? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475147)

debmom2boyz 12-26-2012 04:05 PM

freezer meals 101-IDEAS?

Background: Our family will have a big change come Jan. 2--my dh will be working full-time during the day (he's been a SAHD and goes to school full-time--online). I WOHM (teacher), so dh has been such a great help since our LO was born 12/06. He'll be substitute teaching (yeah, foot in the door), so our hours will be the same (one car family so we'll all be leaving and coming home together).

One area that will change is dinner. I want to do as many meals ahead of time, or the bulk of the meal.

I have a crock pot, but I don't want to leave it on when we aren't here. I'd like to save for one with a timer.

I'm not the greatest homemaker (although I strive to be). I don't even know where to start with what I can freeze together. Can raw meat and veggies be combined together and then cooked together?

Tips? Suggestions? Blogs you like?

abunchoflemons 12-26-2012 04:36 PM

Re: freezer meals 101-IDEAS?

Soups like chilli, white chilli, brocoli & cheese, veggie, bean, potato.....& make in big batch..... lasagna, pasta sauce so all u need to do is pasta. Meatloaf, Enchalatas. If u like salmon make loaf & split to smaller portions. Potatoes & freeze to go with. We have had crockpot on all day before with no one home...my parents both worked or would u have neighbor u trust to get into house to start it at a certain time?

adjroberts 12-26-2012 04:41 PM

Yes, raw meat and veggies can be combined in the freezer.

Frozen burritos:
Refried beans
Rice
Onion, peppers, etc

Mix everything, fill tortillas, wrap up in freezer paper. Put in freezer bag.

Heat up in microwave for about 3 minutes when you are ready to eat.

I use one 1/2 lb bag of dry pinto beans and two cups of rice. It will make like 60 burritos, and they are good!

Is your husband getting a teaching degree online? What college?

kimb96 12-26-2012 05:46 PM

I bought a few freezer cookbooks. It really helped me to learn how to do freezer cooking. They explain how to freeze it and include instructions for cooking it after it is thawed. If you spend a few hours on a weekend, you can prepare and freeze meals for a month or longer. Two cookbooks that I really look are Fix, Freeze, Forget it, and Don't panic, dinner's in the freezer.

debmom2boyz 12-26-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adjroberts (Post 16080754)
Yes, raw meat and veggies can be combined in the freezer.

Frozen burritos:
Refried beans
Rice
Onion, peppers, etc

Mix everything, fill tortillas, wrap up in freezer paper. Put in freezer bag.

Heat up in microwave for about 3 minutes when you are ready to eat.

I use one 1/2 lb bag of dry pinto beans and two cups of rice. It will make like 60 burritos, and they are good!

Is your husband getting a teaching degree online? What college?

He is. He is going through the University of Phoenix. With him subbing, this will give him more experience. We are very blessed. My principal thought of him first.

Great idea on the tortillas! We could do that for breakfast, too!! My kids love "rollups" so I will definitely be making those!

My kids are picky with soups/stews but they are just going to have to get over it. :giggle2: They do like casseroles.

I don't have a great crockpot. It burns things on the warm setting.

DottieHarley 12-26-2012 06:57 PM

You could always set up the crockpot to run all night (if waking up to stew isn't too weird, lol!
I woh also and sometimes put the next night's dinner in the oven during bath/bedtime... You know when it's one of those meals that just needs a lot of oven time which we don't have before dinner... I have been known to roast two chickens at 9pm for dinners the rest of the week :shrug: multitasking at its best!

adjroberts 12-26-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debmom2boyz (Post 16080996)
He is. He is going through the University of Phoenix. With him subbing, this will give him more experience. We are very blessed. My principal thought of him first.

Great idea on the tortillas! We could do that for breakfast, too!! My kids love "rollups" so I will definitely be making those!

My kids are picky with soups/stews but they are just going to have to get over it. :giggle2: They do like casseroles.

I don't have a great crockpot. It burns things on the warm setting.

Cool! I didn't know that you could get a teaching degree online. Good luck with everything!

debmom2boyz 12-27-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottieHarley (Post 16081146)
You could always set up the crockpot to run all night (if waking up to stew isn't too weird, lol!
I woh also and sometimes put the next night's dinner in the oven during bath/bedtime... You know when it's one of those meals that just needs a lot of oven time which we don't have before dinner... I have been known to roast two chickens at 9pm for dinners the rest of the week :shrug: multitasking at its best!

I thought of that, too. I'd be more comfortable with doing that than leaving the crockpot on all day.

debmom2boyz 12-27-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adjroberts (Post 16081435)
Cool! I didn't know that you could get a teaching degree online. Good luck with everything!

It has pros and cons. It works for our schedule. We are not sure if he gets to pick his student teaching location. He *might* student teach at my school--but not on my grade level (that would be too weird).

This short-term subbing position is perfect. This will give him a chance to work with all grade levels. The teacher was suppose to leave lesson plans. If not, he'll have to make them. I told him that is good for him!

I think knowing people in the school district/schools is a huge benefit when doing it online. He has had to do observations, teach lessons etc. He sets that up through the principal. He has a lot of team projects and that alone will help him prepare for the "real world". Lots of team/people skills needed.

Fryedaddy 12-30-2012 07:48 PM

One way I pack my freezer meals to make things even easier is to make the meal in a crockpot liner and freeze it in the bag. Then i just drop the liner filled with the frozen meal in my crockpot and cook all day. When your done pull liner out, throw away and cleanup is done! Super easy!!! I use my crockpot all day when we are not home but I have done nights as well with things for breakfast like oats.