Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Movie Recommendations for daughters first (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475168)

FormallyMichele 12-26-2012 05:14 PM

My DD is almost 5 and we are a TV free home. She's never watched TV or seen a movie and while we aren't looking to bring one into our home she has been asking about when she will be able to watch a movie (her cousins and friends watch a lot of TV). So my DH and I are trying to find a movie that would be good for her first. Nothing too violent or negative (not too scary). Most Disney movies seem a little harsh.

Suggestions?

I don't like movies or books with a lot of fighting or snippy behavior between the characters. Cinderella stepsisters behavior toward her (name calling etc).

megenic 12-26-2012 05:34 PM

Both my girls (5 an almost 3) just love Milo and Otis. It's pretty cute. We tend to avoid most character stuff but it's hard finding movies that are age appropriate but not character themed. I don't do Disney but the Tinkerbell movies are pretty benign, not at all like all the princess ones.

Happy feet was pretty popular here for awhile. Any of the Winnie the pooh movies are okay. They loved Rio, although there are some scenes that are a bit dark.

luvsviola 12-26-2012 05:35 PM

Re: Movie Recommendations for daughters first

My 5 year old's favorites are Tangled and Toy Story. They aren't perfect, but we love them.

We also love Polar Express.

Funnyfarmmomma 12-26-2012 05:40 PM

Its really hard for us as well, we are very picky about what they watch as far as the same criteria you listed. My girls (6 and 8) really like Dolphin Tale about Winter the dolphin who was rescued in Clearwater, FL. Its nice and clean and has a good message to it. If you are looking more for a cartoon i would suggest Little Einsteins or Whinnie the Pooh are all really cute. Also like a previous mama said the Tinkerbell movies are actually quite different than most Disney movies. Im sure ill think of more and ill post again :goodvibes:

mcpforever 12-26-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic (Post 16080905)
Both my girls (5 an almost 3) just love Milo and Otis. It's pretty cute. We tend to avoid most character stuff but it's hard finding movies that are age appropriate but not character themed. I don't do Disney but the Tinkerbell movies are pretty benign, not at all like all the princess ones.
Happy feet was pretty popular here for awhile. Any of the Winnie the pooh movies are okay. They loved Rio, although there are some scenes that are a bit dark.

We do do Disney and like Tink, but I find her to be a bit on the spoiled and bratty side. She does learn a lot in each movie about how to not be so spoiled and bratty.

I find the Aristocats to be pretty tame and sweet. There's a good bit of slapstick humor and the bumbling butler is the bad guy.

Huxley 12-26-2012 06:34 PM

The Aristocats has a drunk goose in it. I always found him to be funny, but I know some people avoid alcohol references. I like Alice in Wonderland. It is my favourite.

kaia.aline 12-26-2012 06:49 PM

What about Pollyanna? With Haley mills

myoo 12-26-2012 06:50 PM

What about an older movie that's not necessarily animated? As a little girl, I LOVED Shirley Temple. My favorite movie was The Little Princess with Shirley Temple. :)

myoo 12-26-2012 06:51 PM

Pollyanna is a good suggestion! What about Mary Poppins??

lissa~K 12-26-2012 06:58 PM

I always look movies/TV shows up on Common Sense Media. I find their age guidelines to be pretty accurate. I know they have a list of good first movies in the lists section too.