Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   At my wits end with sleep issues... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475222)

rahhlady 12-26-2012 10:23 PM

At my wits end with sleep issues...

My son started sleeping through the night at 3.5 months. Ever since he has been a decent sleeper. Up until a month ago. [He will be three on the 18th]

He started waking up in the middle of the night. It did sort of coincide with the time that he potty trained, but we didn't force overnight training. He did it on his own within about a week of being day trained.

Every. Single. Night. He wakes up in the middle of the night. Every night. Sometimes he needs to pee, but sometimes he doesn't. I do not feel comfortable letting him be able to get out of his room in the middle of the night, because I am scared that he will go downstairs and get into things instead of coming to us. We have tried letting him fall asleep with the door open and not closing it until the middle of the night... no luck. Even the two nights we left it open, he still woke up. He fights and fights and we usually just let him sleep in our bed. However, he moves all over the place and we don't sleep good at all.

We have tried skipping naps. We have tried making bedtimes later. We have tried Melatonin. We have tried cutting down liquids before bed. I even took him to the doctor. He is going to have his tonsils and adenoids out in February to see if that helps.

If we don't go get him in the middle of the night, he just bangs and bangs on his door. Screams at the top of his lungs and he can go on for 30 minutes + without going back to sleep. My husband works either 8 am to 5:30 or 4:30 until 1:30- 2am. So his schedule isn't the same every night and he can't afford to miss out on sleep due to screaming and crying. I do not know what to do. I am seriously so depressed because I literally cannot get enough rest. His behavior during the day is erratic and tiring too. He used to be such an easy kid and I have no idea what to do at this point.

meeshkasheeba 12-27-2012 08:42 AM

Re: At my wits end with sleep issues...

I'm not going to be much help, but please know night waking isn't that abnormal. I wake at least once every night and my 6yo sone wakes once usually about 11p but as late as 2 some times. I quite focusing on trying to get him to sttn and started working on getting him to go back to sleep nicely. Some people just can't sleep through the night and in most other cultures that is considered normal. Good luck.

nrsenadenos 12-27-2012 08:47 AM

Have you done a sleep study?

My DD was about 3 when she started waking up again at night. Like seriously waking up - every hour nearly. I was 30+ weeks preggo and exhausted. Because my DH had just had surgery for sleep apnea we had her tested as well. Thankfully she did not have an apnea, but she had a condition where she was not transferring from one sleep cycle to the next appropriately. Normally you wake slightly during the transfer and go back to sleep without being aware of it. She was waking all the way up and becoming disoriented. It was related to the night terrors that run in my DH's family.

Unfortunately, they told me there was nothing to do besides ride it out. Most kids outgrow it by age 5 though a few progress to sleepwalking (which she has not and she is now nearly 6).

I would also suggest trying melatonin. It did not work for our issues, but I've known several people that it has worked really well for.

mibarra 12-27-2012 09:18 AM

DD1 is 3.5 and wakes up almost every night at some point. She crawls into bed with us. Thankfully she isn't a wiggly sleeper. It's to the point where sometimes I don't even wake up when she comes in. It's anywhere from midnight to 5 am. She has a big girl bed now so we're starting to go lay in bad with her til she goes back to sleep and then going back to our bed. I read somewhere 2-5 is the most common age for co sleeping because of night waking.

rahhlady 01-12-2013 11:29 PM

If he would wake up during the night and go back to sleep in his bed, I would be understanding... but he won't. He insists on sleeping with us and then kicks and hits us in his sleep all night. If we put him back in bed, he will fall asleep eventually... but wake up again 30 minutes later. He used to be a perfect sleeper, so it isn't like this has always been the case.

Melatonin doesn't work. I have tried all kinds of doses... nothing.

I am hoping that having his tonsils/adenoids out will help, but I am not 100% sure that is the problem... but maybe it is and I don't know anything. If that doesn't help, maybe we will do a sleep study.

court3189 01-12-2013 11:37 PM

We have sleep issues-sadly they haven't gotten better in the past year, so I feel your pain. I'm used to being up for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night at least 2-3 nights a week.

Has anything changed with his routine or diet?

rahhlady 01-13-2013 10:53 AM

Nope, no changes at all :(

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 11:53 AM

My 3 yr old wakes up several times per night despite even prescription sleep meds. I can sympathize with you on the frustration. I have no advice as we have not been able to get ours to sleep longer either. Hopefully, the surgery will fix it.

dancermommy1 01-13-2013 12:51 PM

Mine wakes as well. I read somewhere that our natural sleep pattern is 4 hours asleep, then a 1-2 hour wakeful period, followed by another 3-4 hour sleep. Unfortunately that doesn't work too well within our culture. I feel your pain!

l_Kimmie_l 01-13-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancermommy1 (Post 16152156)
Mine wakes as well. I read somewhere that our natural sleep pattern is 4 hours asleep, then a 1-2 hour wakeful period, followed by another 3-4 hour sleep. Unfortunately that doesn't work too well within our culture. I feel your pain!

That explains alot for my 9 month old! Thank you.