Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due in March (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   hospital bag (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475250)

sterlids 12-27-2012 03:17 AM

hospital bag

so anya's birth plan thread got me thinking about the hospital bag. i honestly don't remember what i took with me the first time except for a robe and clothes for lucian to come home in. what are y'all packing in yours and when are y'all gonna get it ready?

TS8213 12-27-2012 05:45 AM

* Clothes for me (think yoga pants and tank tops) for after the messy first day
* hairbrush
* chapstick
* breast pads
* 1 or 2 outfits for baby
* baby's blanket & hat
* carseat
* camera

I've cut back since having my first 2 babies! No idea yet when I'll pack it. Just playing it by ear based on my MFM appts. With my other 2 I packed around 36-37w.

knodceo 12-27-2012 05:51 AM

Don't forget depends. Not pads but pull on underwear type. They were great!

mommajewels 12-27-2012 05:52 AM

Re: hospital bag

In the past, I've way over packed and didn't touch half the stuff I took. I think I finally got it down last time. I took the bear minimum of things, and as usual, left with way more than I brought. I only stay in the hospital for 24hrs so long as both baby and I are doing well after birth... which has never been an issue in the past. But just in case, I pack for a full 48hr stay since our hospital is an hr drive from home so Dh can't just run & grab whatever I may need.

Clothes for me:
2 pairs of lounge pants
2 shirts
2 bras
A few pairs of underwear. I use their awesome mesh undies in the hospital, but wear my undies over them for extra support.
Socks
Slippers
Comfy outfit to wear home.

Clothes for Dh:
2 Pairs of lounge pants
2 tee shirts
Boxers
Socks
Slippers
Outfit to wear home.

Toiletries for the both of us: (we're not fans of the hospital stuff)
Travel size shampoo, conditioner, soap, and body wash
Tooth brushes, tooth paste, mouth wash, floss
Deoderant
Hair brush and a couple hair bands
Chap Stick. My lips always feel nasty from breathing through contractions.

All PP items are supplied by the hospital. Pads, perineal ice packs, Dermoplast spray, Prep H, tucks pads, mesh undies, etc. Our insurance is great and covers most of the cost of all of it.

Nursing items: Most are supplied by the hospital but I do take my boppy. Breastfeeding in a hospital bed is, IMO, an uncomfortable pain without it. The lactation center loads us down with lansinoh and breast pads before we leave.

For baby:
Baby book
swaddling blanket
2 sleepers for in hospital use
An outfit for pictures
A comfy outfit to wear home
We will use Huggies Swaddlers until she can fit into her OS dipes, and the hospital supplies and sends us home with a ton of those, so we don't bother taking dipes.

Of course my camera and handycam, extra batteries, and chargers.

I think that pretty much sums it up for us.

I usually have everything packed and ready to go by 36 wks.

Maeve Baby 12-27-2012 04:17 PM

My bag is bare minimum because I go there and leave the second they will let me.

Comfy clothes to wear home along with extra socks and unders.
Bathroom items-usually just a tooth brush and tooth paste, face wash and lotion. I am fine with hospital soap for my body.
Camera

Baby-going home outfit, socks, hat, wipes and diapers.

DH packs his own bag-but I doubt he will even bring one given we will just go home right after the birth and if that isn't the plan then he will just drive home and get what he needs and come back-we are only a few minutes drive away.

That's it really:goodvibes:

happymama1 12-27-2012 06:56 PM

I prefer the ugly hospital gown as long as I can stand it...Its pretty darn convenient, and wit a c-section stay, I like to bring home as little laundry as possible. I also use their blankets and baby t-shirts....I think hospitals have icky germ floating around and I'd rather leave as much germ infested items behind :giggle:

I usually pack stadard toiletrees and makeup....clothes for hubby, camera, flip flops, gifts for the older siblings from new baby....and fiber one bars!

For everything else, I try to use as much hopital stuff as possible....it's boring and ugly, but it is functional and practical...so it works. I'd rather save my favorite comfy pants for when I come home :)

Rdesonia 12-27-2012 07:19 PM

One thing I wished I packed with my dd was a hot pad! I had horrible cramps when I breastfed and a heating pad would have been great! DH kept having to microwave wet washcloths, putting them in ziplock bags and wrapping them in towels as that was the "heating pads" at the hospital. After I got home, me and my heating pad were best friends for a few days!

apboyles 12-28-2012 12:31 AM

I didn't have a bag last time because I went into labor sooner than I expected. But with this baby I will definitely be packing one at 36-37 weeks. It sucked because I called DH from L&D at work and he came, then send him home for what I wanted and he didn't bring the right stuff. So this time I'll be sure to pack a bag!

I know for sure I will have a comb/brush because the hospital had NONE!!!! Who doesn't have a comb? But otherwise it's just comfy clothes for me and shoes/slipper to wear when we leave the room (no private bathrooms here on mother/baby), take home outfit for little miss, camera, and probably some of my own toiletries. And pads and underwear. I don't like wearing the gigantic inch thick ones the hospital gives you so I get whichever brand has the ultra thin overnights. So they're long enough for leaks but thin enough I'm not sitting a foot off the bed :)

TS8213 12-28-2012 05:15 AM

Am I the only one who loves the net granny panties the hospital gives you? lol

Christylkeller 12-28-2012 06:49 AM

HAHAHA! I haven't even thought about this yet. I usually over pack, but I would rather have too much than not enough since we live so far away from the hospital. One definite must pack is my own pillow. Those hossie ones are awful and I like have a familiar smell next to my head.