Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Favorite/best brands of nipples, milk bottles (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475253)

gingersnappy 12-27-2012 05:15 AM

Favorite/best brands of nipples, milk bottles

Hi again, I'm partially trying to distract myself from the fact my due date was yesterday, but mostly that I really need to get some bottles ASAP (got the pump already). I'll be most likely going back to work in 8 weeks (after my DD decides to make an appearance!!) but want to try to continue to BF. I've read that it's really up to baby to decide what she/he likes in terms of nipples, bottle types etc. Should I get a few different types and just experiment, or does anyone have any brands that worked for them right away and are superior? Again, I think I'm over-thinking but need to make some decisions, so I am truly "ready" (as I'll ever be, I guess!). Also, this is a sort of ignorant/basic thing, but it sounds like storing (freezer) the milk in bottles is better than liners/bags, yes?

dudleypippen 12-27-2012 06:57 AM

I bought several different types of bottles to try out and started introducing them at 6ish weeks. We ended up with Dr. Browns because the nipple was the smallest and DS seemed to have to easiest time working it. I pump into bottles (either the 5oz Medela bottles or the 8oz Dr. Browns depending in what time of day) and then mix the days milk together in a mason jar to store in the fridge. I make bottles every night using the oldest milk. I have oversupply issues so I am careful not to keep milk in the fridge over 5 days. At the end of the week all the extra milk gets stored in freezer bags. I have a 1000+ ounces frozen, so storing in bottles would have been impractical and taken up too much space. Good luck with your LO!

IowaGold 12-27-2012 09:14 AM

My DD (9 months currently) isn't really picky, but the Playtex drop-ins have worked very well for us. I bought both the 4 and 8/10 ounce bottles but have never needed the big ones (I used the nipples and rings though). I am still using the slow flow nipples.

I had an oversupply too for the first five or six months. I used bags to store my extra milk (I've got around 1300 ounces in the freezer). I liked both the Lanisoh and Honeysuckle bags. I could never have frozen in bottles even with a whole freezer dedicated to milk! I'm very thankful now that I encouraged an oversupply at the beginning. In the last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to pump enough to keep up with DD's daycare needs (because my supply has dropped, not because she's eating more) although I have plenty when I feed her directly. Without my freezer stash, I won't be able to make it to a year ebf, but since I have that backup, I don't doubt that we will make it.

WannaBeGreen2011 12-27-2012 02:02 PM

I personally prefer the Tommee Tippee line though they aren't compatible with other bottles as far as changing nipples, rings, etc.

I freeze in bags. I prefer Nuk for the good quality and good price. I do not like Lasinoh. I've tried most other brands and they all have nice perks. Daycare preferred the ones with the tear spout in the corner for easy pouring into the bottles. I prefer double zipper for added comfort for me. I have a low supply, so every ounce is precious.

I have frozen a few ounces in Tommee Tippee "pods" which can drop directly into the large size bottles. Good for packing a bottle in the morning to feed later in the day so it defrosts into the bottle. I only use slow flow nipples and have since his first bottle. He's almost a year now and still uses the newborn nipple without issue.

My sisters use the Brown's bottles and I can't get the hang of them. Too many parts, too confusing, too hard to line up perfectly. I like my 3 piece bottles. (:

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

gingersnappy 12-28-2012 09:46 AM

Re: Favorite/best brands of nipples, milk bottles

I appreciate everyone's reply. I may go shopping today on Amazon...

taylor's mom 01-06-2013 05:25 PM

each of my kiddos has liked a different type of bottle (and refused the kind the child before them used lol). we wait till baby is a month or so old before introducing one and then just try out different ones till we find the right fit for that child.
i've used te lansinoh bags for storing milk, but i hate them. it seems like they leak more often than not when i defrost them. we thaw them in a bowl now just in case so that at leats we're not losing the milk.

COIrishMom 01-13-2013 12:45 PM

We've really liked the Tommee Tippee regular (non-sensitive tummy) bottles. They are easy, minimize the air my little guy sucks in, and my DS latches on to them.

I tried a couple different kinds before the Tommee Tippee - the Medela bottles that came with my pump and Born Free. With the Medela bottles, my DS got A LOT of air with his milk. The Born Free just have a ton of little parts, making them a pain to clean. The Tommee Tippee have minimal parts and seem the most naturally-shaped. We like them!

COIrishMom 01-13-2013 12:54 PM

For breastmilk storage bags, try Honey Suckle. They are a new company, so they are inexpensive, but they are also the most leak proof bag I've found! As an added bonus, they are easy to write on with a pen and OXO biodegradable :thumbsup:

theoriginalpumpkin 01-15-2013 12:20 AM

Medela slow flow on glass evenflo bottles.

LillyLee 01-18-2013 09:17 AM

I hated the medela bottles. For some reason DD would never burp after a feed with them and just scream and scream at trapped gas.

The tommee tippee bottles are nice except they have that stupid ridge on the inside and I feel like I'm wasting half an ounce each time because it retains the milk.

I like the lansinoh bags better than medela because they lay flat but will need to try the honey suckle.

FYI don't buy tommee tippee from amazon. Way expensive. Babies r us had everything buy one get one 50 off a few weeks ago and it made the tommee tippees a great deal.