Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My 6 y/o is suddenly saying GROSS stuff.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475444)

Kiliki 12-27-2012 06:24 PM

My 6 y/o is suddenly saying GROSS stuff....

My DD will be 6 in one month from today.

Recently, she's started saying "I love to eat boogers. They are delicious!" or "I love the smell of my farts. When I fart, I sniff it." :yuck: Then will come a long explanation of HOW she eats her boogers or sniffs her farts. "I pick my nose and then...." or "When I'm in bed I fart a lot and then...." double :yuck:

I try really, really, REALLY hard not to smile or laugh when she says this stuff, b/c I know she is looking for a reaction. But it's difficult for me not to. Mostly b/c I have a nervous laugh that is hard to stop - and she says it at the WORST times ever. And also b/c it is actually pretty funny to hear her say it. She's so animated with her speech, it's like she's describing an ice cream sundae, but she's talking about eating boogers. So it's hard not to chuckle *a little*...... but then again, I might be the only person in the whole universe who finds that funny...

Anyway, how can I discourage this? Is this typical for her age? I thought only boys did this weird bodily function ha-ha stuff. I guess I need to have a convo with her.

Today she told my friend, who was at my house for the first time, these things. I wanted my floor to open up and eat me. :blush: My friend could tell I was mortified, and she graciously responded, "oh don't worry, I'm sure my DD will be saying these things when she's old enough.... my husband will probably be the one teaching her!" (her DD is 14 mos old, so very young)

Oy, it's so embarrassing. I can't wait until the tables are turned and she's a teenager and *I* can be the one embarrassing her. Maybe I'll remind her when she's 13 and has HER friends over, how much she LOVED to eat her boogers and smell her farts when she was 6. :lostit: (I'm totally kidding, I wouldn't do that... but it is funny to imagine....)

my2sweets 12-27-2012 07:20 PM

Both my girls do gross crap like that. Dd1s favorite thing to randomly *yell* out is butt hole.......lovely. The last couple months theres been serious improvement but for about a yr more often then not I didnt want to be in the same room most days b/c theres only so much nastiness I can take. I never laughed at it-I dont find it the least bit funny- and always sent them to their room. I tried ignoring it and then sending them to the bathroom if they were going to use potty talk but then they would just yell louder and LOUDER until I took something away and seperated them. It sucked and Im glad it seems to be coming to an end.

GEM Cloth 12-27-2012 07:37 PM

Re: My 6 y/o is suddenly saying GROSS stuff....

My son does this (he's 5.5) and we mostly ignore it but honestly, it's funny. Neither one of my girls did this. BTW, you won't have to say anything to embarrass her when she's 13. Just your presence is embarrassing. :giggle: That's funny too.

Tina5834 12-27-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEM Cloth
My son does this (he's 5.5) and we mostly ignore it but honestly, it's funny. Neither one of my girls did this. BTW, you won't have to say anything to embarrass her when she's 13. Just your presence is embarrassing. :giggle: That's funny too.

Hahaha to the last part!

cdeweese 12-27-2012 08:04 PM

DD says, "I want to eat my poop!!!" And she's only two. I finally reached down during a diaper change and pretended to get some. I then said, "Ok, here you can eat it" and rushed my hand up to her face haha! She was horrified and only says it rarely now ;)

hollydawn 12-27-2012 08:27 PM

My six year old daughter will push her butt on me and fart.

Six year olds are gross. :)

mrseum 12-27-2012 08:35 PM

My ds1 is 3 1/2 & already started... He says junk like "Mmm- yummy poop!" When I change ds2's diaper, there are other gross things but that's the one that jumps out at me. Can't wait until he's a little older to hear what he comes up with then... Lol

HeatherlovesCDs 12-27-2012 08:50 PM

So funny that you said you thought only boys did this! I thought the same. I have 5 boys and only 1 girl. So far, of the ones old enough to do this, she is the worst! It's crazy too because she is so girly and lady-like except for in this area. The boys are always tattling on her. We call this kind of talk "potty talk" at our house. I try not to laugh, every now and again I giggle if it strikes me at the right moment. Usually, as soon as I hear it I say, "Oh no. We don't talk that way. It's not acceptable behavior." I do it with a look of disgust like I'm disappointed they would talk like that, not like I'm grossed out. They don't want to disappoint me, but they probably do want to gross me out. :giggle: They usually stop, but if not, I send them to their room.

Luckily, mine have never done it other than at home. I know I would be embarrassed if they did.

It is normal and it will pass.

BeccaSueCongdon 12-27-2012 09:19 PM

My almost five year old does that. I tell him that we reserve body talk for private times. Bathrooms, his bedroom and the doctors office are all private places to talk about body functions. Mom, dad & doctors are all people who need I know those things. But otherwise its not anyone else business and therefore innapropriate.

firstimemommy44 12-27-2012 09:33 PM

My almost 3 yo was insisting earlier that his granny had a penis. I'm kinda sad that I missed that conversation because I'm sure it was funny...kids just don't have a filter :)