Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Substitute for cream of whatever? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475515)

EmmaGM 12-27-2012 09:37 PM

Substitute for cream of whatever?

I always see this pin on pinterest with a recipe for replacing cream of something soups. That sounds lovely but I'm skeptical, since those soups DO have some flavor to them, beyond just spices. (Example here, if you're interested: http://1orangegiraffe.blogspot.com/2...casserole.html)

Has anyone ever tried this recipe or have their own recipe for replacing condensed soups in recipes?

Hungry Caterpillar 12-27-2012 10:24 PM

I don't miss the soups. I sauté the "of" ingredient in butter and then add flour, milk and salt to make my sub.

Mushrooms sautéed give the best flavor, followed by celery. For chicken I am usually adding it to a chicken dish anyways so I just do melted butter and then add the rest.

elioraimmanuel 01-05-2013 12:52 PM

Re: Substitute for cream of whatever?

I make my own cream of celery soup and freeze it in 16 oz containers. That way no chemicals, no GMO, no junk and fabulous taste!

Rdesonia 01-05-2013 01:44 PM

I'd love a recipe too. Cream of xyz are out for me since they are not gluten free. I'd love a cream of mushroom alternative so I could make green bean casserole for the holidays. (I need a gluten free fried onion alternative too. )

The Fancy Pansy 01-05-2013 03:41 PM

I make all my own (gluten free) "cream of" soups. I usually just make what I need when I need it, but right now I'm working on making a freezer stash of them.

Basic recipe:

2 T butter
2 T flour (featherlight mix)
1 c milk
1 1/2 tsp bullion
salt and pepper to taste

Dissolve bullion (beef, veggie, or chicken) in milk.
Melt butter over med heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for a minute or two. Slowly add milk, stirring with a wisk until thickened and bubbling.

Replaces one can of condensed soup in recipes.

For cream of chicken, use chicken bullion (add cooked, diced chicken if desired).

For cream of mushroom, use beef bullion and add 1 3 oz can of mushrooms (chopped or pureed).

For cream of celery, use veggie bullion and saute finely chopped celery in butter before adding flour.

For cheese sauce, add a cup of cheddar.

For a super awesome, super easy stroghanoff, cook hamburger meat with onions, add cream of mushroom and 1/2 cup sour cream, and serve over noodles.

The Fancy Pansy 01-05-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdesonia (Post 16118912)
I'd love a recipe too. Cream of xyz are out for me since they are not gluten free. I'd love a cream of mushroom alternative so I could make green bean casserole for the holidays. (I need a gluten free fried onion alternative too. )

This Green Bean Casserole is to die for:

6-8 slices bacon
1 c chopped onion
3 cans green beans, drained
2 recipes cream of mushroom
1 c crushed GF potato chips (we use lays)
8 oz mozzarella, shredded

Preheat oven to 350*
Cook bacon until crisp. Remove, crumble, and set aside.
Leave 1-2 tbsp bacon drippings in pan. Saute onions in bacon drippings until tender. Drain. Combine onion, beans, mushroom soup, and crumbled bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

Spoon mixture into 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle potato chips and cheese on top. Return to oven just until cheese is melted (5-8 minutes).

EmmaGM 01-05-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy (Post 16119342)
I make all my own (gluten free) "cream of" soups. I usually just make what I need when I need it, but right now I'm working on making a freezer stash of them.

Basic recipe:

2 T butter
2 T flour (featherlight mix)
1 c milk
1 1/2 tsp bullion
salt and pepper to taste

Dissolve bullion (beef, veggie, or chicken) in milk.
Melt butter over med heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for a minute or two. Slowly add milk, stirring with a wisk until thickened and bubbling.

Replaces one can of condensed soup in recipes.

For cream of chicken, use chicken bullion (add cooked, diced chicken if desired).

For cream of mushroom, use beef bullion and add 1 3 oz can of mushrooms (chopped or pureed).

For cream of celery, use veggie bullion and saute finely chopped celery in butter before adding flour.

For cheese sauce, add a cup of cheddar.

For a super awesome, super easy stroghanoff, cook hamburger meat with onions, add cream of mushroom and 1/2 cup sour cream, and serve over noodles.

Awesome! Thank you :)

The Fancy Pansy 01-05-2013 05:52 PM

No problem! I just finished making two quadruple batches of cream of chicken. :thud:

DottieHarley 01-05-2013 06:11 PM

So you can make your awesome subs and then freeze? Does ut get funny?
I would love to try this as there are so many recipes i skip right past once i see cream of x

Rdesonia 01-05-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy (Post 16119355)
This Green Bean Casserole is to die for:

6-8 slices bacon
1 c chopped onion
3 cans green beans, drained
2 recipes cream of mushroom
1 c crushed GF potato chips (we use lays)
8 oz mozzarella, shredded

Preheat oven to 350*
Cook bacon until crisp. Remove, crumble, and set aside.
Leave 1-2 tbsp bacon drippings in pan. Saute onions in bacon drippings until tender. Drain. Combine onion, beans, mushroom soup, and crumbled bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

Spoon mixture into 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle potato chips and cheese on top. Return to oven just until cheese is melted (5-8 minutes).

Thank you !