Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ham stock. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475640)

vatblack 12-28-2012 11:28 AM

Ham stock.

I have made two hams recently and kept the stock in the fridge. I thought I'd be able to find recipes that say you can use it to cook soup or something but every recipe online seems to call for canned chicken stock.

Help me out here, is ham stock good enough to use for soups. Can I just substitute it for the chicken stock they call for in online recipes?

And a more general question: do you scrape the fat off at the top and just used to "gelatanized" stuff at the bottom?

Any ideas how to use this up will be appreciated.
Thanks

Leah52 12-28-2012 11:38 AM

Re: Ham stock.

One way we love it is on rice. Depending on what kind of ham you had it could be very salty so you need to taste it before just dumping it in something. I scrape off the fat then put it in a sauce pan and add water until it tastes right, not too salty but not watered down. Then I thicken it with cornstarch to make a gravy and serve it over rice. I also add it to beans when I'm cooking them.

vatblack 12-28-2012 11:42 AM

Thanks Leah. I just wondered if I get the concepts of "stock" and "broth" confused.

If anyone would help me understand the difference I'd appreciate it.

jbug_4 12-28-2012 11:43 AM

I don't know. i wanted to use my ham bone to make soup, but I found the same thing. What I ended up doing was using half chicken stock and half water with the ham bone- didn't make stock ahead of time. So I didn't have the fat issue, but I would have scraped it off the top, I usually do for chicken.

BTW our soup was a anything and everything soup. I took what we had and used it up. about 5 cups chicken broth, 2 cups water, ham bone + left over chopped ham, carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, handful of pasta (my kids will eat almost anything if it has pasta in it) and left over green beans (like whole green beans that were sauteed in olive oil with onions. I just chopped them into smaller pieces) and half a cabbage thinly sliced. I literally looked into my fridge and and grabbed every veggie that was in there and started chopping. It turned out great. Oh and i threw in a can of diced tomatoes too.

jbug_4 12-28-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vatblack (Post 16086685)
Thanks Leah. I just wondered if I get the concepts of "stock" and "broth" confused.

If anyone would help me understand the difference I'd appreciate it.

From what I understand by definition stock is made from bone and trimmings, where as broth is made with actual pieces of meat. Suppose to be richer, but I think for cooking purposes there really isn't much difference. Broth can be served on its on where as stock usually needs some add ins because its not as rich. but really if its being mixed with other stuff anyway no real difference.

NotLad 12-28-2012 01:47 PM

Split pea soup! Yum!

cdeweese 12-28-2012 01:58 PM

I used ham stock to make potato soup and OMG it was amazing!!! I just omitted the salt in the recipe :)

vatblack 12-28-2012 02:51 PM

thank you all.

What I have is what was left in the bottom of the pan after cooking the ham for several hours in the oven. So, I guess that would be stock then as it can't be eaten on its own.

I just wanted to make sure that it is no different to turkey or chicken stock.

Split pea soup and a mixed veg soup is being made tomorrow. :) then frozen for emergency dinner!

Rdesonia 12-28-2012 07:06 PM

I don't scrape off fat or anything. I just run it through a strainer before I put it in the fridge or use it.
I love Ham stock/broth for bean soup or pea/lentil soup.
I also use it to cook beans like blackeyed peas or pintos. (Sometimes 1/2 stock ans 1/2 water depending on how strong it is)

I used mine from Christmas to make a yummy Thai Curry. Probably not 100% authentic but sure was yummy. It was also a great use for those leftover salty pineapple slices that never get eaten. No real recipe just used what I had... 1 onion diced, carrots sliced, 1 fresh sweet potato cubed, 1/2 stalk of celery minced, 3 russet potatoes cubed, 1 green pepper, lots of curry powder, pineapple from the ham and some uncooked that I saved (we used a real pineapple not a can), pepper, extra pepperika (I used both smoky and plain), tameric, a little cayenne (DS hates hot foods so just a dash), a can of coconut milk, and near the end a cup or so of frozen peas. I served it over rice. DH added some hot sauce to his (like Louisiana type but not). He said it tasted like the Thai Restaurant we go to. (He even checked to make sure I really cooked it ...LOL)

vatblack 12-28-2012 08:07 PM

I ended up making split pea and whatever else I could toss in from the fridge soup. I will have lunch for the next 8 days! My family does not eat peas so it is all mine!