Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Interrupting nap times? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475643)

Kabuki24 12-28-2012 11:41 AM

Interrupting nap times?
 
I have one child, he's 21.5 months, takes a 3 - 4 hour nap every day. He loves his naps, tells me when he's ready to take them. He goes down around 11:30 - 12:30 and sleeps until ususally 3 - 4.

We have this Christmas party to go to on Sunday that I really want to go to, and originally they had it set up at 11, so that we could be there for a couple hours (stretching it a bit, but I was trying to be flexible), but now my aunt (the host) just changed it to noon and now I see no point in even going. We'd go for maybe an hour and leave. (this christmas party is with my mom's side, only time I see my mom and siblings is at this christmas, but my aunt hosts it).

We don't interrupt nap times, I've tried bringing with a pack n play to things like this but it's always a screaming mess... so I don't even try anymore. I am not going to force him to stay awake.

What do we do? No one gets it.

HeatherlovesCDs 12-28-2012 11:51 AM

Re: Interrupting nap times?
 
I don't know what to tell you to do. If you don't interrupt nap time and a pack and play won't work, I guess you just don't go. Personally, we make every effort to get our children their naps each day. But, every once in a while, something comes up that messes it up. 3-4 hrs in the middle of the day can be very hard to work around, especially for everyone else. We have 6 kids and we do all value naps and bedtime, but sometimes we have to bend if we want to be involved.

So, the options I see are
1. don't worry about the nap that day, expect your child to fall asleep on the way home, be cranky later (and possibly the next day too. it affects mine the following day as well) and put him to bed early.
2. Go at 12 and leave at 1 or a little later (pointless IMO)
3. Bring a pack and play and try to get him to nap in it and give up if it doesn't work and resort to skipping it or leaving.
4. Don't go.

Personally, I would try the pack and play and then skip it if he wouldn't go to sleep in there. To me, it's okay to get out of routine for 1 day. But, that's just me.

Good luck figuring it out. :hugs:

HeatherlovesCDs 12-28-2012 11:59 AM

Re: Interrupting nap times?
 
Also, some people get it and some don't. I have 6 kids (one too young still for it to matter). Most people who don't have young children or did not have their young kids on a very consistent napping routine don't get it. But, even if they do get it, most people won't plan a party or get together around one child's nap schedule if there are many guests involved. They are trying to accommodate most of the guests and their own planning schedule. It's really nice for me when my mom plans something because she always tries to keep us (with 6 kids 7 and under) and our children's sleep schedule in mind. But, she can't always accommodate us either based on other factors. It is ultimately up to us, as parents, to figure out how to balance the sleep routines with life.

my2sweets 12-28-2012 12:02 PM

If your lo is anything like dd1 was as a baby I just wouldnt go. Dd1 had to be laid down at a certain time(set by her and youd hear it if you were as little as 5mins late!) and she had to be in her crib. Period. Other wise you had a screaming crying mess of a baby. Others didnt understand b/c most babies will at least sleep in a pnp or the car and are generally a little more flexible then dd1 was. Oh well. They all got over it and I didnt have an inconsolable baby.

Id apologize for not being able to go and tell them you hope to see them soon.

Mom2Connor 12-28-2012 12:05 PM

Personally we just skip the nap, but our DS usually enjoys events like that so much he is having too much fun to get cranky. If I had one that was a pill I would probably feel otherwise.

And WOW a 3 - 4 hr nap, I am jealous!!! We get about an hr, two at best.

Kiliki 12-28-2012 12:07 PM

Re: Interrupting nap times?
 
We skip naps for big events.

BUT if you know it will end badly, why not just go and show face for an hour and then go back home and do naps.? No big deal.

Kabuki24 12-28-2012 12:08 PM

Re: Interrupting nap times?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16086759)
Also, some people get it and some don't. I have 6 kids (one too young still for it to matter). Most people who don't have young children or did not have their young kids on a very consistent napping routine don't get it. But, even if they do get it, most people won't plan a party or get together around one child's nap schedule if there are many guests involved. They are trying to accommodate most of the guests and their own planning schedule. It's really nice for me when my mom plans something because she always tries to keep us (with 6 kids 7 and under) and our children's sleep schedule in mind. But, she can't always accommodate us either based on other factors. It is ultimately up to us, as parents, to figure out how to balance the sleep routines with life.

Thanks for your advice in your previous post. I really appreciate it.

Yes, that's the other thing, the world doesn't revolve around us, I do realize that, but they planned it early so we would make it for a couple hours...

HeatherlovesCDs 12-28-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Interrupting nap times?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabuki24 (Post 16086796)
Thanks for your advice in your previous post. I really appreciate it.

Yes, that's the other thing, the world doesn't revolve around us, I do realize that, but they planned it early so we would make it for a couple hours...

That is frustrating that it was changed. We've been in that situation before too. I wonder why she changed it. Did she tell you?

We've had to miss things before because it was just going to mess them up WAY too much and we knew it would end very badly. If I know my kids are going to melt down, then I also know it's going to affect more than my kid. No one is going to enjoy a child who is cranky and whiny and crying on the floor or throwing fits. We won't be able to enjoy our time and other people will be annoyed too. It is sad and hard to make that decision, but in the end, you really have to do what's best for the whole family.

If I lived close enough, but really didn't feel I could let my child miss the nap, I'd go for just an hour because it's better than nothing.

Kabuki24 12-28-2012 12:52 PM

Re: Interrupting nap times?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16086876)
That is frustrating that it was changed. We've been in that situation before too. I wonder why she changed it. Did she tell you?

We've had to miss things before because it was just going to mess them up WAY too much and we knew it would end very badly. If I know my kids are going to melt down, then I also know it's going to affect more than my kid. No one is going to enjoy a child who is cranky and whiny and crying on the floor or throwing fits. We won't be able to enjoy our time and other people will be annoyed too. It is sad and hard to make that decision, but in the end, you really have to do what's best for the whole family.

If I lived close enough, but really didn't feel I could let my child miss the nap, I'd go for just an hour because it's better than nothing.


This exactly. See, I want to enjoy my time there.. not dealing with a kid that's tired and emotional. Somehow you seem to make it work with 6, so I should be able to make it work with 1!!!!

She just said that noon make more sense? Hmm... whatever I guess. She said we could come early, so we'll go at about 11:30 and stay until he gets too tired.

Thank you!!!! I appreciate being able to talk to other moms about this!

NotLad 12-28-2012 12:57 PM

Re: Interrupting nap times?
 
I've been running into this problem with church. Meetings start at 1 p.m. And guess who turns into "I hate everyone, put me in my crib NOW" by 1:30? Since August, I've made it though exactly 15 minutes of church before we have to leave.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors