Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Getting Toddler to Nap Longer At Home? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475654)

cobbermama 12-28-2012 12:11 PM

Getting Toddler to Nap Longer At Home?

My 15-mo DD naps for 2 1/2-3 hours every day at day care, but I'm lucky if she sleeps for an hour during nap time at home. I keep the same schedule and routine as day care does (as best I can), but it doesn't seem to help. She needs more sleep, and Mommy needs a break! Any ideas??

HeatherlovesCDs 12-28-2012 12:35 PM

Re: Getting Toddler to Nap Longer At Home?

When mine wake up "early" from naps, I tell them they have to go back to sleep and tuck them back in. Even if they are awake, they have to stay in bed till nap time is over. (Generally speaking anyway. I'm not militant about it. ;)) They usually fall back to sleep. I would ask the daycare provider what she would do if they woke up early at her house and do that. :)

cobbermama 12-28-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
When mine wake up "early" from naps, I tell them they have to go back to sleep and tuck them back in. Even if they are awake, they have to stay in bed till nap time is over. (Generally speaking anyway. I'm not militant about it. ;)) They usually fall back to sleep. I would ask the daycare provider what she would do if they woke up early at her house and do that. :)

Day care says if she wakes up she fusses for a bit, then falls back asleep. At home if she wakes up...she screams bloody murder. I'll have to ask DCP if she has any tricks for her that I don't know about!

firsttimeclothmomma 12-28-2012 05:51 PM

Ugh this is my kid. Exactly. I contribute this, unfortunately to LO being much more stimulated and busy at daycare.. at home, I can't put on the same kind of circus so he's not 'exhausted' enough to sleep that long. Very annoying and makes for a long, cranky afternoon.

I am searching for the same answers ... Does she get tired mid morning at all? With LO at home, 80% of the time he still takes 2 naps a day. It just works better for our more "boring" schedule. He's 17 months and has been taking one nap at daycare since 13ish months.. but yeah.. needs sleep in two stretches at home.

cobbermama 12-28-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firsttimeclothmomma
Ugh this is my kid. Exactly. I contribute this, unfortunately to LO being much more stimulated and busy at daycare.. at home, I can't put on the same kind of circus so he's not 'exhausted' enough to sleep that long. Very annoying and makes for a long, cranky afternoon.

I am searching for the same answers ... Does she get tired mid morning at all? With LO at home, 80% of the time he still takes 2 naps a day. It just works better for our more "boring" schedule. He's 17 months and has been taking one nap at daycare since 13ish months.. but yeah.. needs sleep in two stretches at home.

Sometimes two naps helps, but other days she ends up with two 20-minute catnaps, which is almost worse than one 45-60 minute stretch. Can't decide which is the lesser of two evils!

firsttimeclothmomma 12-28-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbermama (Post 16088086)
Sometimes two naps helps, but other days she ends up with two 20-minute catnaps, which is almost worse than one 45-60 minute stretch. Can't decide which is the lesser of two evils!

Ugh that's gotta be hard.. What is your morning schedule like? Any chance you can "up" the excitement or social-ness? Take her out, let her play or run around? Do playdates with other moms? Library or safe place she can stretch her legs and interact? Insane stimulation is the only thing that can keep LO awake in the morning and, if given enough, sleep harder for his one nap a day.

cobbermama 12-28-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firsttimeclothmomma

Ugh that's gotta be hard.. What is your morning schedule like? Any chance you can "up" the excitement or social-ness? Take her out, let her play or run around? Do playdates with other moms? Library or safe place she can stretch her legs and interact? Insane stimulation is the only thing that can keep LO awake in the morning and, if given enough, sleep harder for his one nap a day.

When it's just us at home it's pretty chill, but this week we are at IL's and every day has been nuts like day care playing with cousins, sledding outside, etc etc. Apparently we just cannot match the day care insanity! :)

chandni3 12-28-2012 06:52 PM

Do they play any music during nap time? Maybe you could get the same CD if they do. I use a white noise machine with my daughter. It's on all night and all during nap time. And if she's ever having to nap away from home I bring it with me and she falls asleep great. I think it's conditioned her to sleep to that sound. If she wakes up before two hours I'll let her cry for about 15-20 mins to see if she'll fall back asleep. She usually does. But I've heard it common for kids to sleep better at daycare than for their parents.

DottieHarley 12-28-2012 06:53 PM

This is my DD, as well. For the first year of her life she would not nap at home wo being held, but would voluntarily lay down AWAKE in the crib and fall asleep at day care :banghead:
I make a point of having active time, preferably outdoors, in the morning. I have found that just 30 mins makes a difference. Also i generally start nap about an hour later than day care does.
I have found that an abbreviated nighttime routine at naptime helps too - so we do the whole big light, little light, sound machine, diaper, books routine. It's just shorter. I think it reminds her that yes, this is mommy, and mommy needs you to sleep just as much as dcp does!
Good luck!

doodah 12-28-2012 08:30 PM

find out EXACTLY what they do at daycare.....is she in a darkened room? white noise? any music? any pre nap routine? any detail you can find to copy. and I would guess that she actually is crying when she wakes but is used to naps not being negotiable and having to go back to sleep. I personally would let her cry and see if she can go back to sleep at home. Many daycare providers say things like "oh she fusses a little bit" but she is actually crying at daycare too.....either they just dont want to tell you that she is screaming (which is obviously upsetting for parents to hear) OR their tolerance is very high when it comes to crying because they hear it all day. You may see it as screaming bloody murder but they see it as dramatic crying from a tired kid that needs to go back to sleep.