Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Making things easier + new baby (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475676)

ardeur 12-28-2012 01:32 PM

Making things easier + new baby

My DH is always very thoughtful of me. We're expecting our 1st baby in August. He wants to get me an automatic rice cooker so that I have an easy way to make rice and/or steam veggies when baby is here. But... we have a teensy tiny kitchen with no room for another small appliance unless we swap out something else.

Do you ladies find rice cookers worth it? I know crock pots are a definite must. Any other suggestions on must-have food prep items for moms?

Mommyto2B2G 12-28-2012 01:38 PM

Re: Making things easier + new baby

I LOVE my rice cooker. It is also pretty small and doesn't take up a lot of room. I use it at least twice a week. I think it is well worth it. :) For us, a rice cooker is a valuable kitchen tool. It all depends on how much you eat though. If you cook rice a couple times a week I'd say get one. If you think you will maybe use it every other week maybe it wouldn't be. It is also super easy to use and clean.

slimy72 12-28-2012 01:58 PM

I love my rice cooker. But the biggest thing I love about it is the auto time feature. If it was a plain old rice cooker, I'd say probably not worth it. But on mine, I can set it for however many hours in the future I want the rice done (so say I have 5 min. at noon to put it on and we're having dinner at 5 I throw it all in hit the timer button for the right time and it will be ready at 5). I LOVE that. As far as just for cooking rice, I guess it would be valuable too though so you don't have to stir it. I use my rice cooker a ton though since dh has celiacs (needs gluten free food) and we eat a lot of rice.

EmilytheStrange 12-28-2012 05:17 PM

If you're going to get a rice cooker, you should invest in a Tiger brand, made in Japan.

they are very good quality and can be a rice cooker, veggie steamer and a small crock pot.

I honestly don't use my crock pot as much as a lot of people seem to.

Mom2Connor 12-28-2012 05:23 PM

I use the steamer a ton when I was making DS's baby food. And I mean a ton. It was given to us, and honestly, I don't think I've used it since the puree stage. He just eats regular stuff now and TBH now we just boil the veggies on the stove or buy the steamable bags for the microwave. I think steaming is healthier though so I'll probably go back to doing that when making puree'd baby food for #2....

The crock pot is nice, but we don't use it as much as we could. DH prefers to grill most meat, even in the crappy weather, LOL. Otherwise we bake stuff. The crock pot was also given to us.

We have a small kitchen too, but we use them enough to justify them I guess.

Mama_K 12-28-2012 07:40 PM

Love my rice cooker I think it's worth having one, my husband is originally from China so we go through lots of rice ;)

loveramongstars 12-29-2012 12:57 PM

I was born in Japan and I use the rice cooker ALOT especially since I like the sticky rice. It is worth it to me and mine keeps rice warm, even overnight without drying it out. It is nice not to worry about cooking rice. I never use the steamer but it is totally worth it for me.

cdeweese 12-29-2012 01:03 PM

LOVE my rice cooker! It came with a rack to steam veggies while the rice cooks. It's a total time saver and will be awesome to have after the baby comes.

Bentley'sMomma 12-29-2012 01:10 PM

I use the rice cooker more than my crockpot. :)

Harmony96 12-29-2012 01:18 PM

I hated my rice cooker and never used it and it was impossible to clean (but others might be easier) and I got rid of it.